• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What if Aus leave Super rugby?

Don't forget the Reds would have beaten the Crusaders at home if we had a kicker.

It's a shame I used to like you as a poster but after the RWC you seem to have developed a bit of Kiwi arrogance.

Reds and Brumbies could easily go toe to toe with the Crusaders and Blues mate.
i was behind you until you lost your mind

I think what ever structure we come up with it needs to be competitive, fans, especially NZ ones, need to embrace not winning every week, New fans arent going to get engaged if their team is getting trounced every other week by a kiwi team

so if NZ and Aus then we either need to dilute the nz teams a bit or we need to concentrate the Aus ones.

The old praise of super rugby is right up there with international rugby standards wise is kind of biting us on the bum..the step up it too big for new teams

i was behind you until you lost your mind

I think what ever structure we come up with it needs to be competitive, fans, especially NZ ones, need to embrace not winning every week, New fans arent going to get engaged if their team is getting trounced every other week by a kiwi team

so if NZ and Aus then we either need to dilute the nz teams a bit or we need to concentrate the Aus ones.

The old praise of super rugby is right up there with international rugby standards wise is kind of biting us on the bum..the step up it too big for new teams

Well the Reds did go Toe to Toe with the Crusaders lol.

I don't think diluting the teams is the solution. It seems like a cop out for Australia, we get more talent from NZ without actually needing to improve our handling of the game or our home grown talent. I agree we should open our borders so to speak to allow selection from either country (if eligible) but I don't think sending more kiwi's over here is the answer to Australia's problems.

I think we need to burn down the ARU headquarters, fire everyone who works there and grab some randoms walking up the street to do a better job than the muppets we have running it currently. It's too much of the old guard, god help us if Phil Kearns ever manages to become the boss.
I'm not sure what is going wrong with the teams the talent is there but the grit to win just isn't.

I think the Super Rugby was at it's peak with Super 12. It was brilliant to watch.

Argentina needs to stay. Even if many of their players are leaving to Europe then they can still develop a good team in the next few years for the Jaguares, then they can broaden their pool and pick from both Europe and Super rugby for the National team. They just wont be ***le contenders for the next few seasons.

Sorry woldog no offence to Australians but i believe Super Rugby would be better off if it was just NZ and RSA. It wont happen but it would have been better from a South African perspective. It will never happen though because i think SANZAAR maybe transcends its individual unions and the powers that be on a national level bows to the SANZAAR structure. It really is in their best interest as power consolidation gives them more diplomatic power at the world rugby table.

Don't forget the Reds would have beaten the Crusaders at home if we had a kicker.

It's a shame I used to like you as a poster but after the RWC you seem to have developed a bit of Kiwi arrogance.
i was kidding bro. chill
and the arrogance isnt new. its always been there

Last edited:
Sorry woldog no offence to Australians but i believe Super Rugby would be better off if it was just NZ and RSA.
i agree and agree . at a minimum it should be RSA and NZ, get that right and you can worry about adding other countries later.
however with all the travelling that makes it difficult

Sorry woldog no offence to Australians but i believe Super Rugby would be better off if it was just NZ and RSA.

You guys will have a season or two where your teams are quality and then 3 seasons where your teams are dead in the water. You guys are just as hot and cold as Australia is in the Super Rugby.

I dont, its just not natural, too much distance, people i talk too are just tired of the weird game times, they have really enjoyed the current set up with day and evening games and thats something that can be done with aus,

I think we need to be real about this as a business and put the viewers/ supporters first and that means and easy to understand format and convenient game times

only us rugby nerds watch the games at 1-3am (although SA fans dont even have to put up with that) but we dont make up a big enough percent of the possible fan base... there are a lot more "casual" fans that are more interested in an easy to digest comp than the highest possible standards of rugby, lets leave that to the international game

I dont, its just not natural, too much distance, people i talk too are just tired of the weird game times, they have really enjoyed the current set up with day and evening games and thats something that can be done with aus,

I think we need to be real about this as a business and put the viewers/ supporters first and that means and easy to understand format and convenient game times

only us rugby nerds watch the games at 1-3am (although SA fans dont even have to put up with that) but we dont make up a big enough percent of the possible fan base... there are a lot more "casual" fans that are more interested in an easy to digest comp than the highest possible standards of rugby, lets leave that to the international game
yeah but honestly i dont think playing aus teams at all is gonna be good for nz rugby. aus have a lot of their own sht to sort out and i rckon they should be just left to sort it. lets not partner with aus simply because theyre the closest in proximity and play rugby.

and in this day n age when you can record games, who gets up at 3am?
i havent watched a live game in years and prefer to chasePlay by about 5 mins behind

yeah but honestly i dont think playing aus teams at all is gonna be good for nz rugby. aus have a lot of their own sht to sort out and i rckon they should be just left to sort it. lets not partner with aus simply because theyre the closest in proximity and play rugby.

i havent watched a live game in years and prefer to chasePlay by about 5 mins behind

I watch live games simply because if I get on facebook by accident I instantly see a spoiler for it. I can see rugby dying in NZ without the Aus NZ rivalry even if we are the ones getting punished more often than not in the games.

I watch live games simply because if I get on facebook by accident I instantly see a spoiler for it. I can see rugby dying in NZ without the Aus NZ rivalry even if we are the ones getting punished more often than not in the games.
aus need to sort their domestic game out. no one but aus can do this and tbh ARU is failing miserably. but drawing NZ into the aus malaise is not good for NZ rugby. the saffa's, sunwolves and Pumas still put up a good fight. not so much aus teams.
rugby wont die in NZ. SuperAotearoa has shown that we have a high quality product and basically the kind of rugby we're playing everybody wants to see.
the same cannot be said about aus derbies. they sukd before lockdown and i imagine its worse now.
worse comes to worse then NZ rugby will just go back to grassroots and play our game. people will eventually come knocking asking for rights to watch it but whether they do or not NZ will always play rugby the way we enjoy it being played.

good for NZ rugby and good for rugby are different things...and NZ rugby cant survive without "Rugby" in general, thats what i mean about looking at it like a business, we need to create a structure that will last/grow/bring in new fans...and just doing what makes NZ rugby look good wont achieve that...so we need to soidify all the NZ fans that have lost interest because of confusing structures and sader dominance and find new overseas fans by throwing them a bone

rugby wont die in NZ. SuperAotearoa has shown that we have a high quality product and basically the kind of rugby we're playing everybody wants to see.

the experts are all saying it cant last, its not financially sustainable

This! i follow like 4 version of "super rugby" or the Highlanders etc..if i open face book or insta i'll know the score straight away

aus need to sort their domestic game out. no one but aus can do this and tbh ARU is failing miserably. but drawing NZ into the aus malaise is not good for NZ rugby. the saffa's, sunwolves and Pumas still put up a good fight. not so much aus teams.
the same cannot be said about aus derbies. they sukd before lockdown and i imagine its worse now.
worse comes to worse then NZ rugby will just go back to grassroots and play our game. people will eventually come knocking asking for rights to watch it but whether they do or not NZ will always play rugby the way we enjoy it being played.

Sunwolves put up a good fight? Remind me what their score was against the Reds this year?
Pumas had 1 good season thanks to their national union saying "If you want to play at the world cup you have to play in Argentina that year". Not surprising an international team did well at Super Rugby level lmao.

Rugby is already dying in New Zealand look at the participation numbers which have been steadily dropping since 2014.
You have one derby worth watching the Blues vs Crusaders, right now the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Highlanders would be lucky to beat the Sunwolves convincingly. Rugby Aoteroa simply won't last as a sustainable competition, who wants to watch the same 5 teams play each other for 10 weeks? It's working now because of the shut down could you see it working in 3 years from now? The Hurricanes could barely draw a crowd before the shutdown, same with the Chiefs and Highlanders.
People will come knocking for the rights to watch? What people? more New Zealanders? good luck with that.

I've said the ARU is failing miserably at their job already.

Sunwolves put up a good fight? Remind me what their score was against the Reds this year?
Pumas had 1 good season thanks to their national union saying "If you want to play at the world cup you have to play in Argentina that year". Not surprising an international team did well at Super Rugby level lmao.

Rugby is already dying in New Zealand look at the participation numbers which have been steadily dropping since 2014.
You have one derby worth watching the Blues vs Crusaders, right now the Hurricanes, Chiefs and Highlanders would be lucky to beat the Sunwolves convincingly. Rugby Aoteroa simply won't last as a sustainable competition, who wants to watch the same 5 teams play each other for 10 weeks? It's working now because of the shut down could you see it working in 3 years from now? The Hurricanes could barely draw a crowd before the shutdown, same with the Chiefs and Highlanders.
People will come knocking for the rights to watch? What people? more New Zealanders? good luck with that.

...you say the Sunwolves didn't do well against the Reds last year but then also say the lander, chief and canes would struggle against the Sunwolves...so you're saying the rEds would easily beat those htree teams?

i think the Sunwolves are good, they beat the chief in hamiton and the tahs in sydney

...you say the Sunwolves didn't do well against the Reds last year but then also say the lander, chief and canes would struggle against the Sunwolves...so you're saying the rEds would easily beat those htree teams?

i think the Sunwolves are good, they beat the chief in hamiton and the tahs in sydney

Did you watch the Reds Crusaders game? Did you watch us put 4 tries on the Crusaders (at home)? The Reds are a lot better this year than their record suggests. And before anyone brings up last weeks Rebels game, do realize that' was played while it was absolutely bucketing down rain. Anyone who says it was slow doesn't realize that it was practically storming.

The Reds would pump those three teams as they are currently playing.

Reds v Sunwolves 64 - 5

Reds vs Crusaders 20 - 24 (4 tries to 3) and without James O'Connor

If the Reds could get a kicker one day we may even win some games....

hahaha troll

sunwolves did way better than force and rebels. they beat blues when no aussie team could beat NZ teams. and they won games in their first season unlike force and rebels

Latest posts