• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What If There was a change to the scoring system?

A

Andy Briggs

The other day after another 9-6 penalty fest me and a couple of other players were drunkenly discussing the scoring system. We came up with the following 8 points for a converted try either 6+6 or 5+3 and reducing penaltys and drop goals to 1 point. What do people think do you think it will encourage fast free Flowing Try scoring rugby as kicking penaltys will become pointless unless its a tight game. Or do you think it would encourage lots of cynical cheating and giving penaltys away slowing the game down as teams know that your not likely to kick for goal. Any wont ever happen but kust wondering what people think.

Of course more tries will be scored: more penalties will be given away and, because teams wouldn't care less for a 1 pointer, they'd kick for territory all the time. Besides, the game wouldn't be rugby union that way. Everybody might aswell convert to league if DG's and penalty kicks lose their value, since essentially the only difference would be lineouts and rucks...

Sounds a lot like league to me.

The ELVs are doing their job down here. In the deciding Bledisloe match, the All Blacks scored all their points through tries. Dan Carter had 100% goal kicking because there were no penalties given within kicking range for the 3 points, just free kicks.

That's what you want, isn't it? :D

Point taken we dont have the free kick ELV here but watching some of the Super 14s I think giving more free kicks over penaltys is a good thing seemed to make games faster imo I like the new scrum rule as well gives plenty of space for attacking

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Second_Row @ Oct 22 2008, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Point taken we dont have the free kick ELV here but watching some of the Super 14s I think giving more free kicks over penaltys is a good thing seemed to make games faster imo I like the new scrum rule as well gives plenty of space for attacking[/b]
Oh God. You're entitled to your opinion but I think the free kick law is the most annoying thing I've seen of the ELV's. Thank **** that one wasn't introduced over here...

New Zealand would probably demand that penalties now tripled to 9 points instead of three thanks to:

a) having a kicker that can actually kick and
B ) knowing that thanks to the new emphasis at enforcing the rules at the breakdown, New Zealand when playing England will probably be presented with at least seventy attempts at goal before they can even think of making a break for the line because WE NEVER SEEM TO KNOW HOW THE TACKLE AREA WORKS!!!! ARRRGH!

Latest posts