• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What is the best rugby position for Manu Tuilagi ?

SportsFan90

Academy Player
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
Waratahs
(Hey gents first post) I know he has only been caped with England mostly as an outside centre, but do you think there is a chance they may try him out in different positions during the upcoming British Lions tour. Maybe even a spell as a back row forwards, he certainly has the size for it. Th opposition can take advantage the fact he has never played as a forward, but he could learn it aye.

Playing him in the backrow would make absolutely no sense. Doesn't have the game to play as a second-receiver or really get a back line going so 12 seems unlikely. He's a 13 out and out going forward, possibly with some wing appearances here and there.

Best position for him to shine would have been Outside Centre for Samoa ;)

Best position for him to shine would have been Outside Centre for Samoa ;)

Would actually have loved to see how Samoa would have done with him last World Cup. They're a growing power in international rugby but a little star power like Manu wouldn't have gone amiss in their squad...

Anyway, I don't see Manu playing in the back row any time soon, at international level breakdown work is absolutely crucial in the back row and, even if he's an absurdly strong ball carrier, he'd be exposed in no time by and half-decent openside. That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see him on the wing or at 12 for the Lions, or even England in the future. He's not been awful when he's played out on the wing for England, and he provides some serious carrying power no matter where he is in the back line.

I'd agree that Manu is no 2nd five-eigth, but not every rugby team needs a distributor at 12. Plenty of teams play with their big ball carrier at 12 rather than 13, so really it's just a matter of where the Lions decide to play their bulldozer.

If Manu was playing in a Super Rugby franchise, they would likely have him at 2nd 5/8.

The only way I could ever see him playing in the forwards would be if he went over to the Dark Side, where he might play lock or second rower.

I'd agree that Manu is no 2nd five-eigth, but not every rugby team needs a distributor at 12. Plenty of teams play with their big ball carrier at 12 rather than 13, so really it's just a matter of where the Lions decide to play their bulldozer.

In fact some would argue having a big crash baller at 12 is becoming the preferance, with the thought that you often need quick hands to give wingers the space, with the big ball runners giving the 1st 5/8th an easy option under pressure. It's probably become the trend with New Zealand having Ma'a Nonu, Wales having Jamie Roberts, South Africa with Jean de Villiers/Francois Steyn. I don't see any problems with Tuilagi playing 12 and someone like Bryan O'Driscoll at 13 (or the other way around). Depending who the Aussies midfield is - you may want to even go Roberts/Tuilagi for just an insane midfield.

Tuilagi playing in the backrow is obsurd in a Lions tour. You have the best backrows in four countries, why would you pick someone who isn't a backrow and doesn't have the game for it there?

To me, Tuilagi's size leads to a bit of a red herring. People put him in the ball-crasher category and throw him in with guys like Roberts and I don't think this is right. Roberts crashes into people, Tuilagi crashes through people. They both serve different purposes. Roberts is about increasing the tempo - crash and recycle as fast as possible, taking out players and opening up gaps on the next phase. Tuilagi is used as a weapon, to create breaks, gain meters and score tries. Tuilagi is better served staying at 13 imo, since the space dwindles if you move him to 12. I can see the case for him as a wing, but 13 suits him imo.

If ever there was a telling stat that Tuilagi and Roberts play completely differently, it's that Tuilagi has 10 tries in 19 games (1 in 2) whereas Roberts has 5 in 53 (1 in 10).

I wouldn't mind seeing Tuilagi in the back row actually. Not that it's going to happen, but I think if someone came on here saying "What position should I play" and described their attributes as Tuilagi's, I think as many people would say back row as centre - or even hooker. Obviously he's missed out some of the skillsets - although he clears out a ruck beautifully - but he has the physique for it.

To me, Tuilagi's size leads to a bit of a red herring. People put him in the ball-crasher category and throw him in with guys like Roberts and I don't think this is right. Roberts crashes into people, Tuilagi crashes through people. They both serve different purposes. Roberts is about increasing the tempo - crash and recycle as fast as possible, taking out players and opening up gaps on the next phase. Tuilagi is used as a weapon, to create breaks, gain meters and score tries. Tuilagi is better served staying at 13 imo, since the space dwindles if you move him to 12. I can see the case for him as a wing, but 13 suits him imo.

If ever there was a telling stat that Tuilagi and Roberts play completely differently, it's that Tuilagi has 10 tries in 19 games (1 in 2) whereas Roberts has 5 in 53 (1 in 10).

Thats some of the most informed rugby views i've ever heard on this forum! Good work

I do see what you mean about england using him as a weapon, i'd just like to see him learn when to offload and not to run accross the pitch taking space away from the other players.
I don't really know if Roberts and Tuilagi would work, maybe roberts & o'driscol or Mat Scott and Tuialgi? it's going to be about creating a combination rather than the two best players.

Might get some time on the wing for the Lions, seeing as there aren't many quality wingers floating around. Otherwise, he's staying in the centre.

Latest posts