• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What is the best scrumhalf/flyhalf combination?

JH1315

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Ireland
This idea arose to me over the weekend, particularly when watching the hurricanes' and lions' games.
Perenara and Barrett were just amazing and have been for a few weeks now. If they keep this form up then I really can't see anyone stopping the canes.
As for de Klerk/Jantjies, the difference in class was clear between them and Ellis/Mo'unga. Ellis and Mo'unga are great players, but de Klerk and Jantjies just controlled the game so much better. They kicked better, passed better, were able to control the tempo of the game, and kept it simpler.
These two combos and Smith/Sopoaga would probably be the best in the competition but who would you guys say is the best out of them all?

For me its Perenara/Barrett. Weber/Cruden isn't too shabby either!

What makes me sad is the fact that apart from the Lions the other big SA franchizes haven't had the benefit of their 1st choice halves; Hougaard/Pollard, Reinach/Lambie and Vermaak/Du Preez with Lambie having had the most game at 3 games!

What makes me sad is the fact that apart from the Lions the other big SA franchizes haven't had the benefit of their 1st choice halves; Hougaard/Pollard, Reinach/Lambie and Vermaak/Du Preez with Lambie having had the most game at 3 games!

If you're looking at overall in the competition, I say Weber/Cruden, Faf/Jantjies and Smith/Sopoaga, Perenara and Barrett got off to a very slow start to the season, but If you were going for the past few rounds, it's Perenara/Barrett and Faf/Elton. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Smith and Sopoaga, and I'm a Lions supporter. Sopoaga goal-kicking is perhaps slightly better than all the other 10s mentioned here, and Aaron Smith is definitely the best halfback in the world.
It's also pretty disappointing like you said about the other SA teams not having first-choice halfback.

Cruden was very good in the 2nd 1/4 of the season but he hasn't been that good recently, then consider that Cruden is the only 10 in NZ not kicking goals regularly.

Where Barrett has established himself now as I think easily the best 10 in the comp, factor in the june tests and its fair to argue hes the best 10 in the world right now.

overall for the NZ combinations I'd rank them

Barrett/TJP
Sopoaga/Smith
Cruden/Weber
Mo'unga/Elis
West/Hall

funny that basically mirrors the final team standings... I actually think all our 9/10 combos have been good. The good news for the blues is that West/Hall started to really play well towards the end of the season west is a very good 10 when he has front foot ball and hes a very good goal kicker as well and has a habit/reputation for making difficult clutch kicks at goal. Strange not to see him kicking goals towards the end of the season... maybe that was to allow him to focus on other aspects of his game while Francis was kicking very well...

I didn't even realise that SA have so many halves out, but now that you mention it, it is quite unfortunate. Pollard and Lambie are especially talented players. Their battle with Jantjies for the springbok 10 over the next super season should be good to see.I'd be a bit worried about halfback if I were a bok supporter though. de Klerk is the only great one, Reinach is alright but the games he did play this year he was quite poor so hopefully he can improve on form next year.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback. You might be being a bit modest there because if I remember correctly, I though de Klerk/Jantjies were doing pretty well at the start of the season. In my opinion they would be the most consistent pair over the season but you're probably right with Smith/Sopoaga considering they both played a large part in the highlanders' success last year. Whichever combo wins the competition this year will surely be a large part of it, so they could put up a good argument. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the feedback. You might be being a bit modest there because if I remember correctly, I though de Klerk/Jantjies were doing pretty well at the start of the season. In my opinion they would be the most consistent pair over the season but you're probably right with Smith/Sopoaga considering they both played a large part in the highlanders' success last year. Whichever combo wins the competition this year will surely be a large part of it, so they could put up a good argument. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Latest posts