• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What is the Leicester's plan in America?

AmericanRugby

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
I was going to ask what everyone feels about the Leicester Tigers coming to play the first game of the NRFL against the rag tag American team in Philly this year. But I just received word that the governing body here in the States, USA Rugby, has failed to endorse the match. This was a huge mistake, and I can't find any reason for this besides "USA Rugby" protecting itself from the NRFL... Sad day considering tickets have been on sale for more than 2 weeks and a lot of people were looking forward to the match.

With that said, the Leicester Tigers are still seemingly active in America. I was wondering your thoughts on their plans here in the States and furthermore, any other team in Aviva that may aid the sport here.

Also, what is the general feeling of professional rugby taking off in the US? Especially with big name NFL athletes recruited, I believe there's a lot of momentum here.

http://www.americanrugbyworld.com/nfl-juggernauts-play-rugby/

The next step of professionalism and marketing. Twinning brands to increase fan base and commerce.

I would not be surprised if Wasps take this up soon as well. Their new financial stability means they can drive their brand and the US would seem the perfect market.

I personally think that, internal prejudices aside, rugby could be a major sport in the US.

The lack of professional American football outside the NFL and CFL means that there are a lot of college athletes looking for a pro sporting opportunity may well move to rugby quite successfully.

I think there will need to be an influx of "foreign players" initially to coach and play key positions like scum half etc and, the football players will need to change there fitness regimes to a more stamina based rather than explosive short burst style but there is almost an unlimited source of ability there if they can pique interest.

Personally, it scares the life out of me the potential that is there, just thinking of a Jadeveon Clowney type player at flanker or similar, also Mike Friday your 7's coach an acquaintance of mine and ex-Bromley RFC player is great at seeing potentials and the pro league should be tapping him up as soon as possible.

Simon Cohen said:
"Our experience in this case could lead you to question whether USA Rugby is more keen to protect its own commercial interests than to serve and promote the game of rugby as a whole in their country. That is extremely disappointing in a sport keen to expand its appeal throughout the world."

Boo Hoo! poor Leicester Tigers.

Why wouldn't USA Rugby protect it's own commercial interests? He makes it sound like the Tigers were only going out of their altruistic wish to spread the gospel....

Simon Cohen said:

Boo Hoo! poor Leicester Tigers.

Why wouldn't USA Rugby protect it's own commercial interests? He makes it sound like the Tigers were only going out of their altruistic wish to spread the gospel....

As you probably know he's referring to the fact that USA rugby have organised their own game with an English club, in the same city a few weeks later...

A governing body of a sport shouldn't be handling itself like that.

With that being said, I don't think it's the reason why they've refused to sanction it but it certainly has merit.

A governing body of a sport shouldn't be handling itself like that.

why not? they have set it up as a warm up game for their national team and to raise funds, additionally they have a pro-league being scoped themselves - why should they be supporting something right outside of their remit.

NRFL is in direct competition with USA Rugby, asRats said they don't want to be be part of the USA program, so why should the USA support it?

And all the flouncing by the Tigers doesn't change that.

I just don't see it as the purpose of a governing body.

If they're going to set up their own league, then they should aim to make it better then, not sabotage other ventures.

They should be focused on developing the game and running the national team, not interfering with set ups like this.

They set the game after the NRFL had done, they replicated the NRFL's combine albeit on a much smaller scale a month or so after. Don't you see this is as all a bit odd and anti competitive?

USA rugby obviously don't like what they see in the NRFL, maybe they have good reason to. Going about it like this is something i don't agree with however.

I'm not siding with the NRFL here, however they have done a heck of a lot more than any organisation has done in trying to bring pro rugby to the States.

I just don't see it as the purpose of a governing body.

what managing professional rugby isn't the governing bodies job?

If they're going to set up their own league, then they should aim to make it better then, not sabotage other ventures.

They should be focused on developing the game and running the national team, not interfering with set ups like this.

The NRFL is operating outside of the the National and world governing body why should they do anything to support it?

It's essentially Kerry Packers world Rugby Circus the North American Verison.

They set the game after the NRFL had done, they replicated the NRFL's combine albeit on a much smaller scale a month or so after. Don't you see this is as all a bit odd and anti competitive?

USA rugby obviously don't like what they see in the NRFL, maybe they have good reason to. Going about it like this is something i don't agree with however.

I'm not siding with the NRFL here, however they have done a heck of a lot more than any organisation has done in trying to bring pro rugby to the States.

Do you think the WRU would act any differently?

They Union have a responsibility to work make sure all rugby is done within the regulations of the governing body, additionaly they've spent decades setting up pathways and creating a competitive nationl mens and womens team... why on earth anone thinks they should just allow an alternative code to set up in their own back yard is beyond me.

And I don't see how buying in talent ala NRFL is doing more to set up pro rugby than a union with decades of development paths behind it.

No managing professional rugby isn't a governing bodies job.
It isn't the RFU's or FFR's job for instance and USA Rugby will certainly never be able to fund and control a pro organisation by themselves, if they try they will either go bankrupt or lose control anyway.
USAR is not going to be able to do it alone.

Look the way that the NRFL has gone about it has been wrong, they've said a lot of crap which i'm sure has put USAR and WR off.

However I do agree with the NRFL's vision in that a pro league in the states has to capture the imagination and it has to be top down.
You're not going to have clubs like SFGG or NY old blue go pro for instance, it's just not going to happen.
If they go for the MLS route then it's going to crash and burn quicker than it started, as rugby doesn't have the global appeal that football does.

Big event games with high quality might be the only way imo, where you're going to get the talent though i don't know. However one thing's for sure, rugby continues to grow in the US but the lack of a professional scene will hold it back regardless.

No managing professional rugby isn't a governing bodies job.

Yet it is in approx 90% of the worlds rugby playing countries - i can actually only think of England and France that have an independent professional body and PRL answers to RFU as does LNR so they have oevrsite and final sanction.

I don't think the NRFL even applied for the game to be sanctioned - they knew in advance that it wouldn't be, and they don't want anything to do with WR/USAR - hence the whole "RUVX's" thing...

I think people on here are allowing their desire/optimism for rugby to kick off in the states blind them vis a vis the NRFL's distinct sketchiness (that's putting it mildly).

BOULDER, Colo. – Following recent media statements regarding the sanctioning of the Leicester Tigers v. NRFL Rough Riders match in Philadelphia, USA Rugby would like to make their position clear: a sanctioned game between an overseas team and a domestic USA team requires the sanction of both USA Rugby and the overseas team's National Governing Body. The teams need to be in good standing with their domestic Union and comply with the rules and regulations of World Rugby.

In this specific case, the Leicester Tigers are in good standing with their governing body, the Rugby Football Union (RFU). The Rough Riders, however, are not a registered USA Rugby Club and, as far as we are aware, their players and coaches are not registered members of USA Rugby. Thus, the match cannot be sanctioned at this time. The NRFL has previously stated its intention to exist outside of USA Rugby and World Rugby.

All coaches and officials, who are registered members of USA Rugby, are required to pass specific courses concerning player safety and welfare. The requirement to have a registered, Level 200 certified coach on a club roster in order to be in registration compliance is to ensure that the participating athletes can play without fear of unnecessary injury. It is under these guidelines that USA Rugby can confidently sanction matches.

"Club, Player and Coach registration is an important player welfare issue here in the USA," said USA Rugby CEO Nigel Melville. "USA Rugby provides insurance for all of our member clubs, players and coaches. It is not our role to sanction games for teams who are not members of our organization."

A further example of the process can be seen in the sanctioning of the NRFL's match between the Saracens and Crusaders at the Mercedes Benz Super Dome in New Orleans. In this case, both teams are in good standing with their respective Unions and the game has therefore been sanctioned by USA Rugby, provided that the playing surface complies with World Rugby Regulation 22. It is USA Rugby's understanding that these tests are being undertaken and the match should be played without issue.

Last edited:
I can sort of understand a club wanting to exist outside of it's countries union if they thought that the Union was crap and they intended on usurping it somehow, but why outside of the the IRB? Considering they are in charge of rugby union, as as a whole, in the THE WORLD?

I can sort of understand a club wanting to exist outside of it's countries union if they thought that the Union was crap and they intended on usurping it somehow, but why outside of the the IRB? Considering they are in charge of rugby union, as as a whole, in the THE WORLD?

They don't want to have anyone above them - this isn't because they think USAR are incompetent - they fundamentally don't want any part of the WR/IRB/Union system.

They don't intend for their league to be "Rugby" - it's "RUXV's"... they would be in charge of the rules, refs, tournaments... *everything*.

Amusingly... Blaine Scully has "favorited" this tweet...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Unfortunately this was inevitable &amp; obvious. Would love to c <a href="https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers">@LeicesterTigers</a> play here but has to go thru <a href="https://twitter.com/USARugby">@USARugby</a>
<a href="http://t.co/BhN0Br4XrK">http://t.co/BhN0Br4XrK</a></p>&mdash; LineoutCoach (@LineoutCoach) <a href="https://twitter.com/LineoutCoach/status/607957147742134273">June 8, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited:

depositphotos_6176404-100-dollar-bills-bill.jpg

I think the more games in the USA the better it can only good for the game. Haven't USA Rugby endorsed the Saracens v Crusaders game in New Orleans? If the game in Philly succeeds then USA Rugby will endorse the NRFL if not then they will have no connections to a failure. IMO as a Welshman i think the pro 12 needs to get on board with or get left behind. The league has Irish teams in it and they have a large draw in certain parts of the US. Can't understand why Leinster and Munster aren't playing each other or another pro 12 team in preseason in Boston. Plus if USA Rugby gets World Rugby to shift the Pacific Nations to August and model it on the Six nations then that opens the June window for proper 3 test tours and the Pro 12 nations could then play tests on the East Coast and the West Coast could have the Pacific Nations and one of the SANZAR nations could play in Chicago in November on rotation with the US team touring Europe after that and playing against the Pro 12 nations or the Eastern European nations or combining both. You would get the same season as Southern Hemisphere avoiding clashing with Football. So hopefully the USA will have a successful summer of rugby and a brand new league will kick off the following February. Will be good for the sport if that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

But without involving USA rugby and World Rugby then where will they get their referees from? I'm guessing that USA rugby has the only qualified referees in the US? Just seen that NRFL didn't get Rough Riders v Leicester sanctioned so game cancelled! That's a blow!

Last edited:
The NRFL are not seeking "endorsement" from USAR!

Last edited:
They're crazy, then.
Sooner they implode/dissolve the better, for American rugby.

Latest posts