• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What is the point of the England Saxons?

Patchey

First XV
Country Flag
England
With all the talk of new talent that emerges every time national squads for the Six Nations (or any other competition) are announced I got thinking, what is the point of the England Saxons? As the English 'A' side I'd expect the Saxons to be a way of blooding new/young talent in an atmosphere similar to international level, keep your second string or out of form senior players in the right condition and state of mind to step up into the EPS if needed and also as a way of bringing less experienced players into contact with older hands of already have some senior caps.

Unfortunately, since the death of the Churchill cup the Saxons play what, two games a year? If you consider the talent in the Saxons squad (Wade, Ford, Kvesic, Daley are just four names off the top of my head I'd expect to get full caps some day) wouldn't it be better either to have a larger EPS training group or let players stay at their clubs and get more consistent game time. Alternatively why can't the Saxons play some games against 'A' sides?

Thoughts?

They do have the larger training/touring group in the summer to make up for no Churchill cup.

Not enough other international A sides around. A bigger EPS training group sounds unwieldy to work with edit: apart from the context of Summer tours and Saxons players are only absent from their clubs when there's Saxons games on, so they're getting that game time.

Latest posts