• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What nation would you like to see play Rugby ?

Thanx for the fact that there seem to be quite some people out there who believe in us Germans to make a decent rugby nation one day...believe it myself and in my work as coach I see quite some potential especially in the U14 - U 18 area. Unfortunately we're a soccer nation but you're right - what has made us that is the key to success for improving our rugby skills. Yet rugby is not present in the public - even RWC matches are rarely broadcasted. But recent results have shown that the basis is still there, but we have to establish ourselves in the Six Nations A group to learn from countries like Russia, Georgia and Roumania. Belgian rugby has also tremendously improved, so overall enthusing kids about rugby is not the problem, keeping them in the game and showing them what is possible must be the plan. Throughout the last decade many clubs invested a lot of money into signing guys from NZ, SA, England etc. but neither media presence nor overall improvement of the game was the consequence. Now, with a young SA headcoach, there has been some major changes, last match vs. Poland really looked good, but we have to continue that way and then there's the chance to really implement rugby as a sport that is visible to everyone. My former French coach always told us: you learn the game on the pitch - so, we hang in there and perhaps RWC 2023...:)

I think a 'second tier' 6 nations could work. Netherlands, Russia, Georgia, Poland, Romania(in the past) etc all seem to have an interest, and I'm sure Germany could be the 6th team (apologies if I've left out an obvious team or two). Unlike Italy, who had to basically do it on their own before joining in the 6 nations, I'd like to think this would create a lot more interest in the countries, and (I hate to say it) maybe a relegation/promotion to the full 6 nations. (I know that sounds a horrible idea, but I feel it would do the world of good to promote the game in the 2nd/3rd tier countries).

I see we have a controversial new member LOL. Welcome!

there have been more and more Aussie trouble makers coming onto the website lately. I think this year has meant such frustration for some fans they decided to just start trying to sink everybody with them.
I've seen more Wallaby fans starting to claim how good they were and how shyt Europe was with their slow ball and no attack. I mean I see where they're coming from, but Aussie fans have always been gathered and fair so far from my experience...and tbh a million times less biased than NZ or SA fans in general. Too bad.

The thing is Aus fans are more likely to be less bias simply because rugby is not ranked as highly as a sport there as it is in SA or NZ. If I were to comment on a soccer or athletics forum you'd find me oh so very reasonable LOL. In SA amongst the white population Rugby and cricket are king and you'll find the uh, well, less desirable elements of our society just as active as the rest whereas I believe in Europe (?) and certainly Aus Rugby is generally for the more... cultured persons?

The thing is Aus fans are more likely to be less bias simply because rugby is not ranked as highly as a sport there as it is in SA or NZ. If I were to comment on a soccer or athletics forum you'd find me oh so very reasonable LOL. In SA amongst the white population Rugby and cricket are king and you'll find the uh, well, less desirable elements of our society just as active as the rest whereas I believe in Europe (?) and certainly Aus Rugby is generally for the more... cultured persons?

that's a good point. No offense to either SA or NZ, but without Rugby there's not much in terms of mainstream, world-wide team sports (and cricket I'd imagine too).

..what's that ??

Thanx for the fact that there seem to be quite some people out there who believe in us Germans to make a decent rugby nation one day...believe it myself and in my work as coach I see quite some potential especially in the U14 - U 18 area. Unfortunately we're a soccer nation but you're right - what has made us that is the key to success for improving our rugby skills. Yet rugby is not present in the public - even RWC matches are rarely broadcasted. But recent results have shown that the basis is still there, but we have to establish ourselves in the Six Nations A group to learn from countries like Russia, Georgia and Roumania. Belgian rugby has also tremendously improved, so overall enthusing kids about rugby is not the problem, keeping them in the game and showing them what is possible must be the plan. Throughout the last decade many clubs invested a lot of money into signing guys from NZ, SA, England etc. but neither media presence nor overall improvement of the game was the consequence. Now, with a young SA headcoach, there has been some major changes, last match vs. Poland really looked good, but we have to continue that way and then there's the chance to really implement rugby as a sport that is visible to everyone. My former French coach always told us: you learn the game on the pitch - so, we hang in there and perhaps RWC 2023...:)

Out of a population of 80 million people you only need a small percentage of rugby fans for rugby to be a success. I'd agree that if Germany was remotely successful the 6 nations teams would be scrambling to include them in a new 7 nations tournament or something similar.

Good to see Germany getting many young people to play. Thats a good start.

This topic would be really interesting after the next Olympics. Nations have always got to start small and if we take a look at the World 7s Tour, there are noticeable improvements coming from the USA, Canada and Kenyan teams.

To be honest, I would've expected the Portuguese/Spanish to have an alright group of 23, my cousin played in Portugal professionally over 10 years ago, would have imagined there would be something by now.

Latest posts