• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What new PC game should I buy?

G

Gavin

Just bought myself a new desktop computer, it's a Dell Inspiron 530, and need to get a game to play on it when I'm bored and not on therugbyforum. I tried to install my old Rome Total War Anthology game but it said that it encounted a unforeseen problem and wouldn't load :angry: Perhaps because my computer is now Windows Vista, not totally sure, any advice on that one? I prefer strategy game, mainly about ancient history, which is why I love Rome Total War. Has anyone got any advice on a game I could purchase?

Age of Empires 3? That's a RTS (Real-Time Strategy) game in the mould of Rome, I think. It'd be best if you read up on it first, though.

Does it make any difference if I have Windows Vista? I thought that all games would work on Vista.

Got no idea how a new, high tech Dell computer won't run PC games :%#%#: It says I don't have the right video card :wacko:

Hum...take it to your local electronics store to get it check on. Tell them that it no longer plays Rome despite the upgrade...because I'd be surprised if your video card can't run it. :C

Only got it last Wednesday lol. Very confusing. Can you RUN it says that my video card lacks

Video HW Transform & Lighting and

Vertex Shader Ver

Well, the game should only be £10 - £15 now (around 20 - 30Euros, I think) so if you buy the game second hand, you could always check with some electronics dude to see what the problem is without wasting too much money. :p

Just get Medieval Total War 2 if you like Rome Total War, same general concept. I can't play strategy games like AOE3 after I got into Rome Total War so I suggest not buying that, it feeling like you're going backwards into unrealism.

Just get Medieval Total War 2 if you like Rome Total War, same general concept. I can't play strategy games like AOE3 after I got into Rome Total War so I suggest not buying that, it feeling like you're going backwards into unrealism.
[/b]
I never played Rome so I can't judge; I just know they're both RTS games, so whatever. :D

I never played Rome so I can't judge; I just know they're both RTS games, so whatever. :D[/b]
It's basically a grand strategy game where the battle mode focus's on formations of troops and how you move your 10 squads of 200 troops for example. Other strategy games work on the system that one troop represents a squad so intead of having 2000 troops in the battle you would have 20. It's basically an excercise in being 'Napolean' and, for me at least, I find it difficult playing games where you just need to build build build and point and click instead of organising your formations on the advantageous ground, making sure your battle line is structured appropriately for your battle plan, moving troops, or not moving troops, at the right time to get the most impact from your squads.

I would hesitate to call it real time strategy while other games are real time tactical, such is the scale of RTW and MTW2. :D

Apart from total war (which i've started to dislike, I hope Empire restores some credibility in the series) I'd go for Company of Heroes. There are two standalone versions, the first and then 'Opposing fronts'. The first is probably one of the best RTS games released over the past two years.

As for your Video card, if you've done all the obvious things like check your drivers and device recognition, email Dell or send it back in.

I got a really good game. Rise of Nations. It was voted in the top ten RTS games of all time (I think like 4th).

crikey, Dell are mad, the more you spend the less graphics you get!

I guess you have the Intel 3100 version as that does not have Hardware T&L. Apart from that it looks like a good PC so maybe you should buy a real graphics card for it? Probably invalidate your warranty unless you buy it from Dell though.

Go for Paraworld dude. It's an RTS with dinosaurs. I bought it, and love it. Definitely one of the best.

My video card is an Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family () :wacko: Got no idea what that means. Looks like I'll have to buy a new video card and get the Tech Guys from PC World to put it in for me :ranting: Really annoying as I thought my desktop was a good PC.

If it's Dell, best of luck updating it. They build their boxes to be as disposable as macs, therefore a *****/imposable to update.

Latest posts