• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What next for the South African Teams

mdaclarke

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Wales
If Super Rugby comes to an end what next?

I would like to see all 4 go north and make a pro 18.

I hope the Cheetahs don't loose out. Not bothered about the Kings

They have been talking about playing in the Northern Hemisphere for a decade.

Looks inevitable that they'll join the Pro-18 now,
How many format changes is that now?

Hope they don't let them in the Champions/Challenge cup but with the money men in charge it'll almost definitely happen.

3 groups of 6 play home and away in groups and home or away v rest for 22 game season

1 Group of 6 South African Teams
1 Group of 4 Irish and 2 Scottish
1 Group of 4 Welsh and 2 Italians

Good news for the Welsh :)

Well it could be very interesting to see what kind of tournament will happen should we go Pro-18.

Especially since CVC is looking into a partnership deal with SARU.

It's high time South African's join the North. With so many South African's already playing there, it's a no-brainer.

It's high time South African's join the North. With so many South African's already playing there, it's a no-brainer.

It is a no-brainer.

But it's a way more complicated mess than just going North.

And it seems like Australia isn't too keen to stay with just their NZ counterparts, with NZ wanting to dictate terms as to the amount of teams Australia should have and so on. Seems like there is a bit of a power-struggle going on, but SA, Argentina and Australia, doesn't want to dance to NZ tunes...

It is a no-brainer.

But it's a way more complicated mess than just going North.

And it seems like Australia isn't too keen to stay with just their NZ counterparts, with NZ wanting to dictate terms as to the amount of teams Australia should have and so on. Seems like there is a bit of a power-struggle going on, but SA, Argentina and Australia, doesn't want to dance to NZ tunes...
Just pointing out that neither SA nor Argentina were invited to the dance.

I would also suggest that there is no real power struggle going on, rather NZ is leaving the corporate boardroom to focus on a more grassroots approach and given how burnt out the NZ public is on rugby in general I think our approach is the right one for NZ.

This article about the Jaguares say's there's a chance they'll join the South African contingent...or the Australian...or leave Super Rugby for SLAR. It also say's there's supposed to be an announcement this coming Tuesday about the future of Super Rugby. I think the Jaguares will join SLAR which would save them a lot of money on travel costs. And I'd like to see Super Rugby live long and prosper with the South African, New Zealand and Australian sides. I personally enjoy the Southern Hemisphere rugby vibe more than the European.

Last edited:
I have a strong suspicion that South Africa might not be part of their plans. Purely based on the press conference SARU had last week, and the articles that are swirling around in SA. As it seems like we will be having an 8-team franchise competition, which will consist of the 4 Super Rugby Teams, the 2 Pro14 teams and the Griquas and the Pumas who got their franchise status back in 2017.

It's basically the Currie Cup Premier Division, only with franchises not unions. Even though there is no real difference.

I have a strong suspicion that South Africa might not be part of their plans. Purely based on the press conference SARU had last week, and the articles that are swirling around in SA. As it seems like we will be having an 8-team franchise competition, which will consist of the 4 Super Rugby Teams, the 2 Pro14 teams and the Griquas and the Pumas who got their franchise status back in 2017.

It's basically the Currie Cup Premier Division, only with franchises not unions. Even though there is no real difference.
This would be the dumbest thing ever if true. We have the Currie cup if anything local is going to happen then play under the Currie cup name not under Super rugby if there is no international competition. If NZ don't want to dance with us then The Super rugby concept dies there it would be idiotic to play a local competition under the Super name.

This would be the dumbest thing ever if true. We have the Currie cup if anything local is going to happen then play under the Currie cup name not under Super rugby if there is no international competition. If NZ don't want to dance with us then The Super rugby concept dies there it would be idiotic to play a local competition under the Super name.

It might be our only option for 2021. They are calling it the crossover year, where all the SANZAAR members can experiment on other Super Rugby type models before they sign new agreements.

It's still early days though, but should we have an extended timeframe of this pandemic in the country, The possibility is there that our teams might not be able to travel abroad and we will have to have a locally based type tournament like the Currie Cup. With the added incentive that the top team(s) might go on to play in some sort of play-off tournament against Australia and NZ at a later stage.

I think that's why SARU is so reluctant to give out any clear answers. They are looking at every avenue available to them, to see what will be the best way forward, since other teams and this pandemic have limited our options, or soured the relationship & jumped the gun.

The criteria Jurie Roux mentioned though was, Financially sound and the Quality of rugby we play, and against which opponent, and that's why we are stuck in this catch-22 situation between NH and SH. There is no other country in the world of rugby with this unique predicament.

Thanks for the info., but for selfish reasons I hope you're wrong. I really enjoy watching the South African teams play the New Zealand and Australian teams in Super Rugby.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info., but for selfish reasons I hope you're wrong. I really enjoy watching the South African teams play the New Zealand and Australian teams in Super Rugby.

We all want that!!!

But decisions were made now, and the others have no choice but to follow the decisions made, as the great unknown is too tough to comprehend. NZ basically finishes their own tournament in 2020, South Africa hasn't even started on field training... We are so far behind on returning to matchdays, and there is no clear indication when it will happen.

We all want that!!!

But decisions were made now, and the others have no choice but to follow the decisions made, as the great unknown is too tough to comprehend. NZ basically finishes their own tournament in 2020, South Africa hasn't even started on field training... We are so far behind on returning to matchdays, and there is no clear indication when it will happen.

I don't want that. It's a tired formula. The Rugby Championship should stay. South Africa should look north.

At the very least if we move North then playing in the Rugby Championship is a non negotiable. (Saru if you are reading this, I know you are, take notes.)

At the very least if we move North then playing in the Rugby Championship is a non negotiable. (Saru if you are reading this, I know you are, take notes.)

That is what they are saying. There is no discussions at the moment about changing the RC. it's just about Super Rugby.

I really enjoy listening to the South African play by play announcers call the games. If the South African teams form their own league I hope it's streamed by ESPN+ like Super Rugby is so I can follow along.
1595876732807.png

Last edited:

Latest posts