• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What next for the South African Teams

I really enjoy listening to the South African play by play announcers call the games. If the South African teams form their own league I hope it's streamed by ESPN+ like Super Rugby is so I can follow along.
View attachment 8309

It was announced today that we are getting ESPN on our main sport network (Supersport). So, who knows ?

Just an update.

We have moved to level 2 lockdown yesterday.

And this bodes well for all sports in South Africa to return to action. From today, the gyms will open, which will help the teams with the conditioning aspects of training. And this means we could see the guys back in action in about 4-5 weeks as per the previous discussions that were held.

So it's in all likeliness that we will see the SA teams start their tournament at the end of September, just as they have planned it the past couple of weeks.

I'm sure we will get an official answer in the coming week. But everything seems to be falling into place now.

They should have a Currie Cup, six nations style. Each team plays each other once and the top dog wins.

I have a strong suspicion that South Africa might not be part of their plans. Purely based on the press conference SARU had last week, and the articles that are swirling around in SA. As it seems like we will be having an 8-team franchise competition, which will consist of the 4 Super Rugby Teams, the 2 Pro14 teams and the Griquas and the Pumas who got their franchise status back in 2017.

It's basically the Currie Cup Premier Division, only with franchises not unions. Even though there is no real difference.
Would be good if they split them into 2 conferences of 4 play home and away in group and hone or away v rest for 10 game season, followed by play offs. This would still leave space for a Super 8 v Tasman teams.

They should have a Currie Cup, six nations style. Each team plays each other once and the top dog wins.

Well it's going to be 8 teams. The Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers from Super Rugby. The Cheetahs and the Kings from Pro14. And then the Pumas and the Griquas who also have franchise status.

We know these 8 teams will be in the tournament already.

What we don't know is if it will be a round-robin tournament, or a pool type of setup. And how long this tournament will be. They could go for the round robin home and away tournament, which will be 14 rounds and then playoffs.

Last edited:
I was just thinking by the time they start, end of the year will be approaching fast. When do they want to finish ?

I was just thinking by the time they start, end of the year will be approaching fast. When do they want to finish ?

Well they have already got the green light to play in December.

And since international travel is still not allowed, I guess, they can finish whenever they want to.

But if they start now, and use the same system they've been using for the Currie Cup, there wouldn't be any time lost as this is usually when they start the Currie Cup...

Thanks. It will be really weird seeing our provincial rugby in December.

Latest posts