Pieter Steph du Teague

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
Hi
I'm 14 years old, 6 foot tall and weigh 82kg (180ish lbs). 2 seasons ago I started playing for my local club. I'd previously played at school as a lock. The club decided to play me at prop as I am the strongest at my club and had a big build. The problem was that by the end of the season I'd scored 15 tries, the highest of the forwards and second highest in my team, which isn't really a stat to be expected from a prop, especially seeing as many of these tries were scored from within my half way line (one from my own 22). I was playing at prop and outrunning wingers, so I thought that it wasn't really the position for me.
This season for school I've settled in at 8 as well as a bit of flanker and even 12 which was a lot of fun. I enjoy 8 a lot as it gives me the freedom to carry in the tight or run off of centres which is great. For club I'm still mainly a prop but have been getting 8 game time.
I'm happy at 8, but I'm being told to do something different by pretty much everyone. At school they like me at 8, at club prop, at West Devon and Devon they want me as an 8 or centre and I've even been told that I should play on the wing. So really what I'm looking for is a definitive answer of where to play.
As I said, I'm 6 foot and 82kg making me the second biggest and the strongest at my club.
I run the 100m in sub 15 seconds, but what I really do well in is 20 metre sprints where I am only beaten by my clubs wingers, 15 and 13.
I do most of my carrying in the tight and have scored all but 1 of my 8 tries this season from 10 metres or less. The other was from 25. However I am also capable of carrying the ball in the open, scoring a few of my tries last season from my own half.
I'm solid in defence.
My fitness is solid.
My handling is fairly good. I can comfortably spin pass off of my right, although my spin pass off the lest is a liability.
At the breakdown I am also solid, making 3-4 turnovers per game.

So I think that's all the info you should need. If you need any more just say in the comment section and I'll happily give it to you.
Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
I think you should remain on back row, or at 12!

I wouldn't put too much stock into your size and strength, while you have great size for a 14 year-old there is nothing guaranteeing you will continue to develop in that area. I was 5-11 at the age of 14 and I never grew after that. Your speed is another matter entirely, keep working on that along with your fitness and try to work on as many skills as possible. I would advise you to play positions that allow you to develop as varied a skill-set as possible.

I would say that 8 or flanker would be the best position for you but 12 or 13 might be more suitable positions for you to settle in down the line.

Honestly, at this stage in your development play whatever position you love the most. As someone who has played every position on the pitch except 2nd row and scrum-half, I never had as much fun as when I played in the back row. You have plenty of time to settle on a position when your body maxes out, for now the most important thing is just to get as much game time as possible and learn techniques that any position can benefit from.

I agree with Canuck. Adult males stop growing at 18-20 you may continue to grow in size and bulk you may stop growing taller. At your age group it happens, you usually find there are one or two lads who have a physical edge on the rest and can run riot, then the rest mature and catch up and you have to rely on more than sheer size to be a successful player.

When you get to open age it depends on what level you play at. Even at semi professional you can get varying shapes and sizes of players. 6'5" plus second rows aren't that common really but if you stop growing at 6 foot you'd probably be a bit short. Hooker I think depends on the size of your two props to a certain extent.

Speed of a back with the physicality of a forward? Def number 8 or flanker IMHO, you have to enjoy tackling and except you'll do some unglamorous carrying in tight areas into other big players.

Thanks for all of the advice. I've taken it all to heart and have been applying it to what I've been doing both on the pitch and in training. I think that what you've been saying about not focusing too much on my size is a good point so in games I've been focusing on trying to beat defenders more with my speed and some aspect of footwork than my size. It seems to be agreed that I should play in the back row, which my club coach seems to have realised and I'm getting much more game time at 6 and 8 which I really enjoy. Again, thanks for all of the replies.

Latest posts