• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What should be done for the matches against Italy

rugbywriter

Academy Player
The Boks have 2 matches coming up against Italy. Hopefully for both those matches, our stars will be given a break. What should happen is the guys that are 2ND BEST IN EACH POSITION should be played. Not some guy second best, the other guy fourth etc. All the second best guys should play, basically, anyone that will come on in next year's world cup in case of injury. What annoys the hell out of me about PDV is when he rests his guys he just puts the most random team on. It isn't building a team, he just puts any arb oke on the field. Look at the Leicester and Saracens matches as proof. My team for Italy would be:

1. Wicus Blaauw
2. Tiaan Liebenberg
3. WP. Nel
4. Danie Rossouw
5. Andries Bekker
6. Dewaldt Potgieter
7. Juan Smith
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Sarel Pretorious
10. Butch James
11. Francois Hougaard
12. Wynand Olivier
13. Juan de Jongh
14. Lionel Mapoe (That's right. I don't even think of JP. Pietersen as second string.)
15. Riaan Viljoen
16. Schalk Brits
17. Gurthro Steenkamp (Is not the best loosehead in the country, come on!)
18. Flip van der Merwe
19. Jean Deysel
20. Duane Vermulen
21. Ruan Pienaar
22. Pat Lambie (Trust me, I'm not one of those fanatics that over-rates him, but just to give him a taste of international rugby. It's bench for the B team.)

All of the above players could be in the world cup next year in case of injuries to our fist choice players. Guys like Januarie, Earl Rose, Alistair Hargreaves and others have absolutely no shot and shouldn't be playing, as there is absolutely no point.

1. Wicus Blaauw
2. Tiaan Liebenberg
3. WP. Nel
4. Danie Rossouw
5. Andries Bekker
6. Dewaldt Potgieter
7. Juan Smith
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Sarel Pretorious
10. Butch James
11. Francois Hougaard
12. Wynand Olivier
13. Juan de Jongh
14. Lionel Mapoe (That's right. I don't even think of JP. Pietersen as second string.)
15. Riaan Viljoen
16. Schalk Brits
17. Gurthro Steenkamp (Is not the best loosehead in the country, come on!)
18. Flip van der Merwe
19. Jean Deysel
20. Duane Vermulen
21. Ruan Pienaar
22. Pat Lambie (Trust me, I'm not one of those fanatics that over-rates him, but just to give him a taste of international rugby. It's bench for the B team.)

Juan Smith has been given leave (due to his fathers death, RIP)
Victor Matfield will start, as captain.
Bandise Maku has joined the squad, meaning Chiliboy will start
Rossouw has been given the week off, so he will not play.
Pat Lambie is with the u20 squad in Argentina, and it would be unwise to take him away just to make the bench
Schalk Brits has not been called up, and therefore is unlikely to be involved.
PDV said he would like to further develop the partnership between Januarie and Steyn, meaning that James and de Villiers will probably be the centers.
Bakkies Botha is back in the mix, and Andries is injured (either that or his he is having wife troubles)

Basically PDV said he will field a strong side against Italy, and is looking at combinations as opposed to players, this was said in an interview today.

With that interview in mind, this is the likely team

1. Steenkamp
2. Chiliboy
3. Jannie/ Other
4. Bakkies
5. Flippies/Hargreaves
6. Louw
7. Potgeiter
8. Spies

9. Januarie
10. Steyn
11. Habana
12. James
13. de Villiers (or James is 13)
14 Aplon
15 Kirchner

16. Maku
17. Jannie/ Other
18. Hargreaves/ Flip
19. Deysel/ Kankowski
20. (we dont know if he will go with a 4-3 or 5-2 split)
21. Pienaar
22. Basson

I think he might play De Jongh at 12 and JdV at 13

I'm thinking

9. Januarie
10. Pienaar

think Flip and Andries might play...

Latest posts