• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What starting England XV would you want to see for 6 nations 2022 or Autumn test matches 2021?

ccc19

Academy Player
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
Harlequins
This is mine:

Start (2nd option)
1. Mako (genge)
2. Jamie George (Luke Cowaan Dickie)
3. Kyle Sinckler (will stuart)
4. Itoje (ewels)
5. Lawes (Nick Isiekwe /George Martin)
6. Tom Curry (ted hill/Jack willis)
7. Ben Earl (Sam Underhill)
8. Sam Simmonds (Alex Dombrand)
9, Ben spencer (Robson)
10. Marcus smith (Ford)
11. joe cokanasiga (may)
12. Farrell (Lawrence)
13. Slade (Joe Merchant)
14. Anthony Watson (Josh Hodge)
15. Max Malins (Freddie Steward)

Completely unrealistic I know, just a bit of fun.

This is mine:

Start (2nd option)
1. Mako (genge)
2. Jamie George (Luke Cowaan Dickie)
3. Kyle Sinckler (will stuart)
4. Itoje (ewels)
5. Lawes (Nick Isiekwe /George Martin)
6. Tom Curry (ted hill/Jack willis)
7. Ben Earl (Sam Underhill)
8. Sam Simmonds (Alex Dombrand)
9, Ben spencer (Robson)
10. Marcus smith (Ford)
11. joe cokanasiga (may)
12. Farrell (Lawrence)
13. Slade (Joe Merchant)
14. Anthony Watson (Josh Hodge)
15. Max Malins (Freddie Steward)

Completely unrealistic I know, just a bit of fun.
I'd maybe go for

Start (2nd option)
1. Genge (Obano)
2. LCD (George)
3. Sinckler (Stuart)
4. Itoje (Ewels)
5. Lawes (Isiekwe)
6. Tom Curry (Ted Hill/Jack Willis)
7. Underhill (Earl)
8. Simmonds (Dombrandt)
9, Spencer (Robson)
10. Smith (Simmonds)
11. May (Cokanasiga)
12. Lawrence (Devoto)
13. Marchant (Slade)
14. Watson (Thorley)
15. Malins (Hodge)

1. Genge (Obano)
2. LCD (George)
3. Sinckler (Stuart)
4. Itoje (Isiekwe)
5. Kruis (Launchbury)
6. Tom Curry (Ted Hill)
7. Underhill (Earl) Jack Willis if recovered
8. Simmonds (Dombrandt)
9, Spencer (Robson)
10. Smith (Simmonds)
11. May (Cokanasiga)
12. Lawrence (Devoto)
13. Marchant (Slade)
14. Watson (Thorley)
15. Malins (Hodge)

Much the same as EdBirch with only minor changes. I think absolute priorities above all else though are 8, 9 and 12. Everything else I think we can kind of manage but those 3 have simply got to be changed as we don't even have established 2nd choice in those positions. Realistically we need a settled 1st and 2nd choice in each position to give us the best chance of weathering injuries and maintaining performance for the WC. Also need a constant 2nd choice with a realistic chance of getting into the XV to keep the player in the XV on their toes.

I like both squads but seriously what has Hodge done to even enter the conversation?

On the few occasions he has made it on to the park, he's looked like a rabbit in the headlights. He is light years away from test rugby.

Steward, Freeman, Parton and David all look like better up and coming options at 15.

Hodge is way behind Steward now in development in my opinion...but god Hodge has some serious potential if Exeter can develop it.

Steward would be my starting FB if the summer tour goes ahead...

Picking a team is so much mprecthan the players on form. There also needs to be balance.
Look at SA in 2019. They had 2 playmakers in the backs, 2 battering rams who could offload and 2 strike runners, and it seems NZ are trying to copy that with 10/15 being the playmakers. The major difference being the way round they have them, SA has the free role at 15, and NZ at 10.

For the summer, maybe we should try this.
Option A free spirit at 10
9 Care (in form, experience and club link)
10 Smith
11 May
12 Devoto
13 Lawrence
14 Marchant
15 Slade

Option B free spirit at 15
10 Simmonds J
15 Malins

Other options include a split playmaker 10/13 that was used by most of the great NZ teams. In this case
10 Simmonds J
11 Big Joe
12 Devoto
13 Slade
14 Marchant
15 Steward

This would give a squad backs of

SH Care, Randall, Robson
FH Simmonds J, Smith
C Devoto, Lawrence, Slade, Joseph
W Marchant, Big Joe, May, Thorley, Nowell
FB Malins, Steward

For the summer i'd like to see something like ..:

9 Randall / Spencer
10 Smith
11 Odogwu
12 Devoto
13 Lawrence
14 Radwan / Thorley
15 Steward

I don't think so - Spencer is 28, Robson is 29, both are vastly experienced at club level.
Hell, Marcus Smith is 22 and has been playing senior rugby for four years - he doesn't need someone to hold his hand

We desperately need experience in our new 9s, wasting caps on Care, who will be 36 at the next world cup, isn't warranted

Its an option, but he wont have Care in the full England squad, so he really needs to show he can handle things on his own. Im not sure he'll have any problems, hes some player. I think he's Englands best 10 already...he can pass, kick, and run...
That alone keeps defenses guessing...whereas Ford who i rate highly seems to only pass or kick. Defences seem to know he wont run the ball. Makes it a little easier.

Its an option, but he wont have Care in the full England squad, so he really needs to show he can handle things on his own. Im not sure he'll have any problems, hes some player. I think he's Englands best 10 already...he can pass, kick, and run...
That alone keeps defenses guessing...whereas Ford who i rate highly seems to only pass or kick. Defences seem to know he wont run the ball. Makes it a little easier.
Ford used to run. Something changed.

Smith's got plenty of highlight reel stuff but he's really added some game management too. Absolutely time to see what he can do. But don't pick him if you just want the ball hoofed.

Robson should be the senior 9 on tour, but Randall looks like the future and should make the trip.

May and Watson should be with the Lions so a great opportunity for a couple of wingers to make their mark. Coka and Thorley would be my hopes. Steward and Malins can fight it out for FB - Malins probably the more talented footballer, Steward the more solid and reassuring presence - tall too which helps in the ariel game.

Centre. Usual lottery but I really hope Lawrence or Devoto can make a strong case at 12.

Obviously the off-field issues will play a part, but I was under the impression he's been pretty poor since return from injury, and I don't think he looked particularly good for England before then either (though I think he played most/all of the World Cup injured?)

I'd be looking to bring through guys like Radwan and Hassell-Collins: See if they can recreate their strike rate at international level.

Obviously the off-field issues will play a part, but I was under the impression he's been pretty poor since return from injury, and I don't think he looked particularly good for England before then either (though I think he played most/all of the World Cup injured?)

I'd be looking to bring through guys like Radwan and Hassell-Collins: See if they can recreate their strike rate at international level.
Agreed, but if he can live up to his potential Coka brings something very different. It's a big 'if' but I live in hope. We do have plenty of sprinter types if he doesn't.

Coka was a massive hope when he broke through, played some very good games for England, then he's never fully come back into form since the injury. I really hope he does. He's what we are missing in the backline at the moment...huge pace and power.

I dont think all England's players emerged with **** on their face, but i think EJ sounded like he was saying there'll be some big turnover

Might see something like this

1. Marler
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Launchbury
6. Curry/Willis
7. Willis/Underhill
8. Curry/Willis/Barbeary

9. Randall
10. Smith (I actually think that last game he may be rethinking his 10's they were both so poor in game management)
11. May/Odogwu/Cokanasiga in summer perhaps
12. Farrell (I actually thought Lawrence looked **** poor at the weekend) - Farrell may be in trouble though if Devoto got a chance and took it in summer
13. Daly
14. Watson
15. Malins

I think there's a few changes there, but could be very interesting team wise, with a Half back who can actually challenge a defensive line, a 9 with a nice pass, and a really effective back row. I think Barbeary could be in line to maybe replace Vunipola long term, he's just got the speed to add dynamism

Latest posts