• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What the Springbok team might look like for the B&I Lions tour (if it happens)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
So the Currie Cup was won this past weekend by the Blue Bulls. The Bulls won the local Super Rugby tournament as well as the U/19 and U/21 trophies too.

But based on the performances on players in the tournament, who do you think would make the cut for the B&I Lions tour?

I think a lot of guys put their hands up, some of them very young and exciting prospects. Here's a few names that impressed me:

Bulls:
Cornal Hendricks (probably the most consistent performer during the Super Rugby and Currie Cup)
Kurt-Lee Arendse
Elrich Louw
Johan Grobbelaar
Stedman Gans
Ruan Nortje

Sharks:
Dylan Richardson (can play Flanker and Hooker)
Apelele Fassi
Marius Louw
Sanele Nohamba
Ox Nche

Cheetahs:
Junior Pokomela
Jeandre Rudolph
Rosko Specman

Griquas:
Zak Burger
James Verity-Amm

Lions:
Carlu Sadie
Burger Odendaal
Wandisile Simelane
Gianni Lombard

Western Province:
JD Shickerling
Juarno Augustus
Jaco Coetzee

I think all these guys are in with a shout to be called up. Who else impressed you?

So the Currie Cup was won this past weekend by the Blue Bulls. The Bulls won the local Super Rugby tournament as well as the U/19 and U/21 trophies too.

But based on the performances on players in the tournament, who do you think would make the cut for the B&I Lions tour?

I think a lot of guys put their hands up, some of them very young and exciting prospects. Here's a few names that impressed me:

Bulls:
Cornal Hendricks (probably the most consistent performer during the Super Rugby and Currie Cup)
Kurt-Lee Arendse
Elrich Louw
Johan Grobbelaar
Stedman Gans
Ruan Nortje

Sharks:
Dylan Richardson (can play Flanker and Hooker)
Apelele Fassi
Marius Louw
Sanele Nohamba
Ox Nche

Cheetahs:
Junior Pokomela
Jeandre Rudolph
Rosko Specman

Griquas:
Zak Burger
James Verity-Amm

Lions:
Carlu Sadie
Burger Odendaal
Wandisile Simelane
Gianni Lombard

Western Province:
JD Shickerling
Juarno Augustus
Jaco Coetzee

I think all these guys are in with a shout to be called up. Who else impressed you?

I couldn't watch the warmup matches but I could see the Currie Cup and Super Rugby unlocked.

I was impressed with (Non current/not capped Boks)

Cornal Hendricks
Elrich Louw
Stedman Gans
Ruan Nortje
Jan-Hendrik Wessels
Dylan Richardson
Apelele Fassi
JJ van der Mescht
Sanele Nohamba
Joseph Dweba
Zack Burger
Burger Odendaal
JD Shickerling
Juarno Augustus
Jaco Coetzee

However I think some of them are too young and some are too old. I think the Bulk of the squad will be the 2019 squad

I also like, Jasper Wiese, Jacques Vermeulen and Tyrone Green (amongst the non capped South Africans)

I think Jaden Hendrikse showed even still in the Currie cup that he has surpassed Nohamba for now. First choice and really good.

Who do we think will represent South Africa A? Anybody on the Fringes of the Springboks? If we can maybe predict a list of 40 players included in the Springbok squad then we might have a clearer picture of what the South Africa a squad will look like.

The other question i have is, will we allow our Springboks to play for their franchises in the midweek games against the Lions? I say yes we should.

Who do we think will represent South Africa A? Anybody on the Fringes of the Springboks? If we can maybe predict a list of 40 players included in the Springbok squad then we might have a clearer picture of what the South Africa a squad will look like.

The other question i have is, will we allow our Springboks to play for their franchises in the midweek games against the Lions? I say yes we should.

Well I think we will get a better picture after the alignment camps that Rassie and the coaching team is starting today at the franchises.

My guess is that the SA "A" team will basically consist of players who have been capped and didn't make the Springbok main squad, as well as the youngsters who stood out.

I think there were a lot of guys who put their hands up in the local tournaments, without even needing to consider the overseas based players. I think our stocks in certain areas that might have been a concern, has also improved, and with injuries, there will be some guys making debuts. If we look at the lock department, with our top locks out injured, there is certainly a chance for guys like Van Der Mescht, Shickerling and Nortje to play for the Boks.

What is clear from the warm-ups, is that the idea is to play a fast-paced game, and fitness will have to be a top priority, a lot of focus was made on getting the ball wide and having the outside backs make a run for the corners.

Do we assume that the most probable starting lineup for the first test still looks largely like the world cup final one? With some changes to retirements and Injury.
15. Le Roux
14. Mapimpi
13. Am
12. Francois Steyn /De Allende
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. De Klerk
8. Vermeulen
7.Du Toit (If he recovers which they say he will)
6. Kolisi
5. Mostert (Snyman and De Jager out injured)
4. Etzebeth
3. Malherbe
2. Marx or Mbonambi
1. Kitshoff

16. Elton Jantjies
17. Herchel Jantjies or Cobus Reinach
18. Ox Nche
19. Thomas du Toit
20. Elstadt

A full-strength South Africa A might look like this, it's difficult to pick because you don't know which of these players may form part of the larger Springbok squad.

15. Fassi
14.Nkosi
13. Cornal Hendricks / Wandisile Simelane
12. Esterhuizen / Kurt-Lee Arendse
11. Stedman Gans
10. Johan Goosen
9. Cobus Reinach or Herchel Jantjies
8. Dan du Preez
7. Marcell Coetzee
6. Jaco Coetzee
5. JL du Preez
4. Cobus Wiese /Ruan Nortje
3. Vincent Koch
2. Akker van der Merwe
1. JH Wessels

17. Ntubeni
18.Johan Grobbelaar
19.Dylan Richardson
20. Marius Louw
21. Sanele Nohamba
22. one who loses out in 13 jersey
23.JJ van der Mescht

Last edited:
15. Le Roux
14. Mapimpi
13. Am
12. De Allende
11. Kolbe
10. Pollard
9. De Klerk
8. Vermeulen
7.Du Toit
6. Kolisi
5. Snyman
4. Etzebeth
3. Malherbe
2. Mbonambi
1. Kitshoff

16. Nykane
17. Marx
18. Wessels
19. Mostert
20. Wiese/Jesse Kriel/Esterhuizen
21. Coetzee
22. Reinach
23. Frans Steyn/Jesse Kriel/Esterhuizen

I wouldn't be surprized if we have a few changes to the WC squad.

I think a lot of local based players has showed some growth in the past year, and also, with recent signings locally, there might be a plan surrounding it.

I think Marcel Coetzee, who missed out on the World Cup due to injury, would be in the squad, maybe he'll play the first test if PSDT isn't ready in time?

But yeah, that SA & SA "A" squad looks about right. Maybe a few guys out of position @unrated , like Kurt-lee Arendse and Stedman Gans. but otherwise pretty much the same guys I'd pick.

Honestly thought he'd retired!
he's only 32 now. And seems like he's playing some good rugby in Japan.

Only Flouw and Beast retired of the World Cup squad.

On a side note. The Bulls have now signed Jacques Du Plessis from Montpellier. Which could also be a sign that he might be called up to help out at the lock department with our top guys out injured.

What ever happened to Ruan Combrinck? He became my favourite player after his Ireland performances

What's the latest on du Toit? Most recent I can find is a few months ago, talking about how serious it could have been, but hopeful for the lions.

That surprised me as well!
I thought he was gonna be about 34/35

The Springboks aren't a particularly old team. In theory every single one of the WC final matchday 23 (save Flouw and Beast) could feasibly be in the 2023 squad.

I'm a relative novice to rugby and have zero institutional knowledge on the sport, but watching JJ van der Mescht is like watching an athletic defensive linemen in the NFL. I would be surprised if he isnt a Springbok within a couple years. His athleticism jumps off the screen.

I'm a relative novice to rugby and have zero institutional knowledge on the sport, but watching JJ van der Mescht is like watching an athletic defensive linemen in the NFL. I would be surprised if he isnt a Springbok within a couple years. His athleticism jumps off the screen.
yeah, JJ is a monster. But I hear he has a bit of a tendency to be a bit of a problem with his teammates. My brother is good friends with some of the guys at the Sharks who was with him at University, and they told him he has a bit of an attitude problem. Sometimes things like that could be influential in being picked for the Boks.

The thing is he would be picked for an enforcer role, and we have Franco Mostert and Eben Etzebeth to play that role. Other guys for that role would be Jason Jenkins, Walt Steenkamp and JD Shickerling. and they are all a bit taller than JJ for the number 5 spot.

Im one of the people who does not see Mostert in the enforcer role, maybe more of an extra loosie, maybe a mix of a loosie and a victor matfield lite style lineout option. But not as an enforcer.

Actually not a fan of Mostert at all. Good workrate.... What else?

JJ is probably another full season away from Springbok selection so maybe 2022. Get him involved sure, that would be good for his development.

Jason Jenkins does not have the class, sorry. Thats why he leaves for overseas. Wont be a long term Springbok. This is harsh yes but this is just my feelings towards him, and for that matter i feel the same about our lock pairing at the Sharks in Ruben van Heerden and Hyron Andrews. I dont want to come across so harsh, and there is more variables to it, but they are IMO headed for a path such as that of Chris van Zyl.

Latest posts