• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

"What? Treviso won?! That makes us the most competitive league in the world!" Guinness Pro 14: R4

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Friday, September 22 -

Benetton Rugby (5th, Con B) v Ospreys (4th, Con A), Stadio di Monigo, 8.35pm local time (live Eurosport Italia/BBC 2 Wales)

Glasgow Warriors (2nd, Con A) v MUNSTER (1st, Con A), Scotstoun Stadium, 7.35pm (live BBC Scotland/TG4)

Toyota Cheetahs (5th, Con A) v LEINSTER (1st, Con B), Toyota Stadium, 8pm local time/7pm Irish time (live SuperSport 1/Sky Sports Action/highlights TG4)

ULSTER (2nd, Con B) v Dragons (6th, Con B), Kingspan Stadium, 7.35pm (live BBC 2 Northern Ireland)

Saturday, September 23 -

CONNACHT (3rd, Con A) v Cardiff Blues (6th, Con A), the Sportsground, 3.15pm (live Sky Sports Action)

Scarlets (3rd, Con B) v Edinburgh (4th, Con B), Parc y Scarlets, 7.35pm (live S4C)

Southern Kings (7th, Con B) v Zebre (7th, Con A), Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, 7.35pm local time (live SuperSport 1)

Treviso v Ospreys
- This is rugby, this is excitement, mid-table magnificence. I hear some of you asking if its 2013 again, the answer is no, Italian rugby is back. A huge away win in Edinburgh will have the Italians full of confidence against a rudderless Ospreys team and dare I say it, I predict a home win with some champagne rugby to boot.

Glasgow v Munster - Top of the conference clash against two teams who don't like each other. Expect a lot of boos as Glasgow are at the first wrong end of many a result against Irish opposition.

Cheetahs v Champions Elect - The Cheetahs get their first taste of the bad boys of the Pro 14 and will do well to get a try bonus point as Leinster continue their perfect scoring start to the season.

Ulster v Dragons - Coming off the high of beating a bang average Connacht side Bernard Jackman will not be looking forward to the routine loss in Belfast this weekend.

Connacht v Cardiff - I actually missed this in my first draft... Connacht aren't as bad and are at home so yeah, the west is awake... Apart from a **** load of depressed Mayo men, Lee Keegan likes fat dolls too! Waheey, Up the Jacks!

Scarlets v Edinburgh - Edinburgh just lost at home to Italian opposition, Scarlets will want to bounce back after a tough away loss... Home win, no question.

Kings v Zebre - All I know about this fixture is that it will have **** all bearing on this season.... Ehhhhh... Home win?!

Last edited:
Good job Zebra are there as a morale booster for the SA sides. That said, I'm pretty sure Zebre should take this one.
The attendance is going to be really something, though. Did you see shots of the stands for the Leinster game? Approximately 17 and a half people in that stadium.

Good job Zebra are there as a morale booster for the SA sides. That said, I'm pretty sure Zebre should take this one.
The attendance is going to be really something, though. Did you see shots of the stands for the Leinster game? Approximately 17 and a half people in that stadium.
Aye, it looked week but the reported attendance was bigger than the reported attendance for their first round game in Super Rugby. The Pro 14 have been pretty innovative in bringing the empty stadiums from that much superior competition in the Southern Hemisphere to "European" rugby.

Glasgow - Munster is by far the tie of the round. Could end up being an intriguing arm wrestle, but it looks like this may have a bearing on Conference A even this early on. I'd probably give it to Glasgow just because of home advantage.

Looking forward to seeing brother Scarlets out in action after last week. I'm certain they'll be taking a comprehensive win against a lacklustre Edinburgh side. On the other hand, it was a big call from Tandy to publicly criticise the Ospreys players. Trevisio will be tough to break down and high in confidence, but I'd be very surprised if the O's didn't come back with the W this weekend.

Cardiff have one or two players coming back into fitness, so I'm expecting an improvement again. Can only see a similar game to last season, where Connacht were very smart with the forwards and will edge it whilst being very comfortable. Not the place to start playing more open rugby, which despite being a stregnth for Cardiff last season, has been misfiring early season.

Looking forward to the Cheetahs vs. Leinster game.

Teboho Mohoje is also available for the Cheetahs, so hopefully he can aid them in the forwards.

Seems like Leinster has been having issues with our airports. Cian Healy was kicked off a flight, for refusing to switch off his laptop at the request of the Air Hostess... He had to get a later flight.

As for the Kings, don't expect too many people attending the match. There are reports that there might be some sort of protest/boycott action taking place outside the stadium. There is a movement who wants SARU to relinquish their control of the Kings and have the EPRU regain control of the Kings.

As for the Kings, don't expect too many people attending the match. There are reports that there might be some sort of protest/boycott action taking place outside the stadium. There is a movement who wants SARU to relinquish their control of the Kings and have the EPRU regain control of the Kings.

what would be better for the kings in your opinion?

what would be better for the kings in your opinion?

IMHO, I think it should be in neither SARU, nor EPRU's control.

The Kings are a franchise, and if it was me, I'd have a private group/conglomerate control it. It's not like the Kings are bound the EPRU in any case, and could easily move to another city/town with a stadium. The only reason why EPRU wants control is because the Kings are using the stadium to host their matches.

The EPRU doesn't have contracts with the Kings players, actually, most of the current Kings squad aren't EPRU players. The Blue Bulls, Sharks, Lions and WP all loaned some of their players to the Kings, while the other players, have contracts with SARU.

I think SARU should still be in charge of the player contracts, with the hope that we could get centralised contracts system for all the teams and players in SA.

But that the franchise be run properly by both business savvy people and rugby administrators.

The issue I have with the EPRU is that they have a very poor track record. And the Kings are basically SARU's new baby, it makes no sense to give your baby back to a delinquent when it was taken away from them in the first place.

IMHO, I think it should be in neither SARU, nor EPRU's control.

Over here, each province is ultimately under the IRFUs control - but is run by their own board (branch) who are free to make 99% of decisions as they see fit. These boards are largely staffed by very professional and very capable people (regardless of what fans on here and elsewhere may complain about).

Looking at the other elephant in the room - I take it there are no other grounds in PE that would be suitable instead of NMB? (capacity say 10,000)
To draw a pretty good comparison, Edinburgh will do much better away from Murrayfield, the Kings might do the same.

Looking at the other elephant in the room - I take it there are no other grounds in PE that would be suitable instead of NMB? (capacity say 10,000)
To draw a pretty good comparison, Edinburgh will do much better away from Murrayfield, the Kings might do the same.

The Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, which was built for the FIFA World Cup in 2010 can seat 46000 people.

Then PE also has St. Georges Park, which is a cricket stadium, and also the Stadium at NMMU where the Madibaz host the Varsity Cup games. But I don't know what it's capacity is.

Leinster Rugby v Toyota Cheetahs (caps in brackets):

15. Joey Carbery (24)
14. Dave Kearney (112)
13. Noel Reid (83)
12. Isa Nacewa (172) CAPTAIN
11. Barry Daly (12)
10. Ross Byrne (26)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (30)
1. Cian Healy (175)
2. James Tracy (45)
3. Michael Bent (90)
4. Ross Molony (46)
5. Mick Kearney (23)
6. Jordi Murphy (87)
7. Josh van der Flier (49)
8. Jack Conan (54)

16. Seán Cronin (131)
17. Peter Dooley (38)
18. Andrew Porter (11)
19. Rhys Ruddock (133)
20. Max Deegan (4)
21. Nick McCarthy (10)
22. Cathal Marsh (21)
23. Rory O'Loughlin (24)

Fergus McFadden and Luke McGrath are carrying small knocks and have returned to Dublin to prepare for next week's game. James Ryan is also out and remains with the squad. Caelan Doris has flown out for a long weekend in Bloemfontein.

Cheetahs team vs Leinster:

15 Sergeal Petersen
14 Rosco Specman
13 Francois Venter (captain)
12 William Small-Smith
11 Makazole Mapimpi
10 Ernst Stapelberg
9 Tian Meyer
8 Oupa Mohoje
7 Henco Venter
6 Paul Schoeman
5 Reniel Hugo
4 Justin Basson
3 Tom Botha
2 Torsten van Jaarsveld

Substitutes: 16 Jacques du Toit
17 Ox Nche
18 Johan Coetzee
19 Rynier Bernardo
20 Junior Pokomela
21 Shaun Venter
22 Nico Lee
23 Luther Obi

Munster:

15. Andrew Conway
14. Darren Sweetnam
13. Chris Farrell
12. Rory Scannell
11. Alex Wootton
10. Tyler Bleyendaal (captain)
9. Duncan Williams

1. Liam O'Connor
2. Rhys Marshall
3. Stephen Archer
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Billy Holland
6. Sean O'Connor
7. Tommy O'Donnell
8. Jack O'Donoghue

Replacements:

16. Niall Scannell
17. Dave Kilcoyne
18. John Ryan
19. Fineen Wycherley
20. Robin Copeland
21. James Hart
22. Jaco Taute
23. Simon Zebo

Glasgow Warriors:

15. Ruaridh Jackson
14. Lee Jones
13. Nick Grigg
12. Peter Horne
11. Rory Hughes
10. Finn Russell
9. Ali Price

1. Jamie Bhatti
2. George Turner
3. Zander Fagerson
4. Tim Swinson
5. Scott Cummings
6. Ryan Wilson (captain)
7. Callum Gibbins
8. Adam Ashe

Replacements:

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Alex Allan
18. D'arcy Rae
19. Brian Alainu'uese
20. Rob Harley
21. Henry Pyrgos
22. Sam Johnson
23. Leonardo Sarto

Keeping relative faith with our team from our first couple of weeks. Scannell is in and will presumably cover 10 if Bleyndaal gets crocked or misses every bloody kick again. That centre pairing looks tasty to the naked eye. Nice bench again. Hanrahan seems to be getting the cotton wool treatment. Will apparently play some AIL before he's thrown into the Munster mix. Would like to see Hart start a game, but Williams has been great so far. Not sure where he found some talent in the offseason, but he's looking good.
Inb4 Glasgow Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:
@Groundhog
JJ hasn't played in a long time and it would be madness to throw him straight in here. He will be better served playing with UL Bohs 1st.
Rory covering 10 as Keats missus expecting any day now.
Duncan has really stood up and been a leader of this group. To be fair all our selections are justified and I think the likes of Zebo, Earls and a few really will up it a bit now that the fire is under their arse in terms of competition.
Chris Farrell is really putting up a show to be 13 in November for Ireland.

The Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, which was built for the FIFA World Cup in 2010 can seat 46000 people.

Aye, thats what I meant by NMB.

and also the Stadium at NMMU where the Madibaz host the Varsity Cup games. But I don't know what it's capacity is.

15,000 apparently from googling around.

Might be more suited to the Kings, but it does have a track around it...

url

garry-ringrose.jpg

My wee Pro 14 Acca rests solely on Munster this week... They lost me a fair few bob losing a 21-6 halftime lead against the Scarlets last year so... Behave.

@Groundhog
JJ hasn't played in a long time and it would be madness to throw him straight in here. He will be better served playing with UL Bohs 1st.
Rory covering 10 as Keats missus expecting any day now.
Duncan has really stood up and been a leader of this group. To be fair all our selections are justified and I think the likes of Zebo, Earls and a few really will up it a bit now that the fire is under their arse in terms of competition.
Chris Farrell is really putting up a show to be 13 in November for Ireland.
Only thing that worries me is how poorly our first choice front row did in the scrums when they came on in previous games. I'd like to see them starting some games soon to get them up to the pace, even if the other guys have been playing very well.

A fairly weak Glasgow from 11-15 in my opinion and they haven't addressed their frailties up front so I think it could be quite routine for Munster.

Ridiculous squad rotation by Dragons. Zero continuity and zero chance. Probably sensible by the coach though to put his strongest sides out in games against weaker sides to chase points.

Rhys Webb back for the Ospreys at the precise time that they didn't need him! No word on Tommaso Allan's knee injury but it sounds long term. So glad I wasn't there in person to see him stretchered off. :( Ian McKinley being heavily relied on and doing alright, but I can't see past the Ospreys.

Zebre becoming an offensive powerhouse! Surely the Kings can win this though.

Blues season will be down the toilet if they don't win so this, so for me that is tie of the round as there is so much at stake and the prospect of a "big" club being almost eliminated.

Cockerill being a bit unpleasant towards his senior players saying they are playing for their own agendas rather than for the team. I think he is suggesting they take it easy in Edinburgh colours to keep themselves fit for internationals. He will have to be careful as there is very little depth in the squad if he starts ostracising certain players. Fans seem happy enough for him to put the boot in though. Is it too early to say that Halfpenny for Liam Williams is a large downgrade? Ulster were able to keep a lid on the Scarlets attacking play for the most part.

Cheetahs will be pumped (in a Scottish, not American way).

Latest posts