• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Agreed. I think that there's a bias towards programmes from an era of fewer channels, when big shows got mega viewing figures that forced them into the national consciousness on a level that just doesn't happen today as viewers have more choice. Not that I'm saying that they're bad shows, but I'd say that the same goes for M*A*S*H and Roots. There's also the nostalgia factor, it's not unusual for me to track something down that I remember loving only to find that it's nowhere near as enjoyable as I remembered. To be fair, changing tastes and norms are a factor in this.

The first few years of MASH aren't great but once Winchester arrives it becomes less exclusively focussed on Hawkeye and is holding up well to my recent repeated viewing.

every episode of Mash is great. it should be the gold standard of sitcoms. It delved into political commentary and other social issues while remaining incredibly funny.

The first few years of MASH aren't great but once Winchester arrives it becomes less exclusively focussed on Hawkeye and is holding up well to my recent repeated viewing.
That's interesting. I was a bit too young for it first time around and if there were repeats, they passed me by. I've had it sat on my Plex server, ready to watch for a while, but have yet to get around to it. I did have one aborted attempt and found that it didn't grab me. Not an indictment as such as TV tends to be background noise for me, but if it takes 5 seasons to get going, it's no surprise.

Anyone know if this is true with the first season of BoJack horseman vs the remainder? It's another one that I had an aborted attempt at getting into.

Going back to the list itself, I'm quite surprised that the Simpsons rates so highly. There's a great graphic I saw on /r/dataisbeautiful that illustrates that it took a couple of seasons to get going, was passing over the shark in season 9 and successfully landed it in season 10. On the one hand, those six seasons were stellar (and others contained good episodes), but given how long it ran, they were only on top of their game for IRO 20% of it's run.

I'm only 2hrs in to this 7hr documentary of archive footage attempting to explain the complete mess that was Russia between 1985 (Gorbachev) to 1999 (Putin). Largely based on BBC footage from the time.

Its pretty immersive and does what it says on the tin.

A recent 90min behind the scenes with an elderly Gorbachev in his last months shown on the BBC was a total waste of time. He had no interest in saying anything that would jeopardise his comfortable situation. The only things he suggested was that the USSR in part collapsed because he didn't see Yeltsin as a threat early enough and because he was too 'weak' to send in the troops against the public and carry out the executions of some of his predecessors.

A recent 90min behind the scenes with an elderly Gorbachev in his last months shown on the BBC was a total waste of time. He had no interest in saying anything that would jeopardise his comfortable situation. The only things he suggested was that the USSR in part collapsed because he didn't see Yeltsin as a threat early enough and because he was too 'weak' to send in the troops against the public and carry out the executions of some of his predecessors.
I told you, better watch "Brother 2" or rewatch "Bimmer". It shows much better Yeltsin/gorbachev crap, at least shows better than any documentary

Binged all of "I think you should leave" this weekend
Best sketch show to come out in I don't know how long

anyone watching Andor? in short i think its great, 9 episodes and havent seen a lightsaber or anyone force sensitive, i love those things but its cool to see all the other stuff happening in the universe....and a proper long season actually builds some suspense, the production value is also much better than the other series especially BoBF

Andor is great easially the best Disney Star Wars show and so far second best show of the year for me....actually maybe third. Its toss up between it and Strange New Worlds with Sandman being the best.

I really don't understand anyone and I've met perfectly normal people rather than Internet trolls who don't like Andor. One I was just best man at his wedding and he loved Obi-Wan but usually we're pretty in synch.

The Sopranos reigns supreme.

the sopranos hbo GIF

the sopranos hbo GIF
They got the top 2 right just the wrong way round. Not much in it, though.

the sopranos hbo GIF
I wouldn't argue with The Sopranos being voted #1
Band of Brothers deserves a higher position than 16th IMO.

the sopranos hbo GIF
Just realised that Generation Kill didn't make the top 50. WTF. Kind of got to ignore the list now even though they got the top 2 right.

Latest posts