• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

I'm honestly worried about my inability to pay attention when watching most things having to look at my phone etc. over the last year or so. Plan on watching Dark and hoping the subtitles will stop it somewhat. I've tended to enjoy stuff I've watched with subtitles at a higher level but not sure if it's just because the quality of foreign media that makes it here tends to be of a higher quality or due to the enforced engagement.

Dubbing is generally off putting to me. I find it hard to watch when even the original audio and visual aren't synced.

I'm honestly worried about my inability to pay attention when watching most things having to look at my phone etc. over the last year or so. Plan on watching Dark and hoping the subtitles will stop it somewhat. I've tended to enjoy stuff I've watched with subtitles at a higher level but not sure if it's just because the quality of foreign media that makes it here tends to be of a higher quality or due to the enforced engagement.

Dubbing is generally off putting to me. I find it hard to watch when even the original audio and visual aren't synced.

Thankfully on Netflix you tend to get the option... and as I said, when forced to subs are definitely better. I'm just extreeeemeley laz...

I would honestly be the worst mod TBF.

Might as well call me Kim Jong Tigs if that was to happen as I would wield my ban hammer with no mercy on the Welsh and NZ posters

Yeah the axis powers were never fond of the alliance :).

I'm honestly worried about my inability to pay attention when watching most things having to look at my phone etc. over the last year or so.

You're not the only one.

Also on dubbing; can't stand it since watching dubbed Bruce Lee films. Much prefer it if it's in the original language even if does mean having to read subtitles. Means more attention needed though so I need to put down the smartphone/tablet.

Anyone else recognize the actor who players the town's mayor in ST S3? Had to look hard and confirmed it when I looked him up.

You're not the only one.

Also on dubbing; can't stand it since watching dubbed Bruce Lee films. Much prefer it if it's in the original language even if does mean having to read subtitles. Means more attention needed though so I need to put down the smartphone/tablet.

Anyone else recognize the actor who players the town's mayor in ST S3? Had to look hard and confirmed it when I looked him up.
Yeah it's mentioned above somewhere (or on a prev page) dread pirate Roberts.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things 3 but still don't think it comes close to S1. It's better than S2 though, which I also really enjoyed.

I really enjoyed Stranger Things 3 but still don't think it comes close to S1. It's better than S2 though, which I also really enjoyed.

It's mad... I must be the only person who liked 2 more than 1... and 3 more than 2 as it goes.

I'm in agreement S1 remains the standout. I think the stuff with Nancy/Steve/Jonathan was outstanding as was the younger cast with Joyce's slowly go batshit crazy. This time they didn't seam to give that enough room to breathe properly whereas last season they arguably gave it too much room.

Also another season where Dustin spends too much time with Steve (probably because how else do you include Steve) and not with his actual friends. Erica was less awesome this series by trying to involve her with plot. Robyn was an awesome addition, Maya Hawke (daughter of Ethan and Uma Thurman) is definitely a talent to watch and made watching Little Women with the wife bearable.

I'm in agreement S1 remains the standout. I think the stuff with Nancy/Steve/Jonathan was outstanding as was the younger cast with Joyce's slowly go batshit crazy. This time they didn't seam to give that enough room to breathe properly whereas last season they arguably gave it too much room.

Also another season where Dustin spends too much time with Steve (probably because how else do you include Steve) and not with his actual friends. Erica was less awesome this series by trying to involve her with plot. Robyn was an awesome addition, Maya Hawke (daughter of Ethan and Uma Thurman) is definitely a talent to watch and made watching Little Women with the wife bearable.

Maybe I'm an easy mark but the Steve, Dustin, Erica... can't remember the other girls name (basically the Scoop troop) were my fave team up

The other one is Robyn
So the scoop troop sort of distill's the problem with S3 over S1 (I should add we are talking about what I'll consider a 5* season over a 4* one).
Erica - Sass but little to no chracter development, yelling nerd and possibly being one is not a character.
Dustin - I mean he's awesome but again no character growth what so ever. He's basically there to drive the supernatural plot for the group so they can get involved.
Robin - Apart from the scene in the toilet again little actual character development as a person
Steve - I mean he grows a little beyond his high school persona but no more so than his season 2 character.
Back in season 1 character growth and development was huge it was essentially two coming of age stories one involving the kids and the other the teenagers. In an 8 episode season it was the end of episode 2 where Nancy slept with Steve and Jonathan was taking pictures of Barb before she went missing. episode 3 is when they discover Jonathan is a peeping tom but that drives the plot of missing Barb getting Nancy and Jonathan to interact. And its episode 6 before in all comes to a head with fight between Jonathan and Steve. That took 6 episodes of plotting and chataerisation and the character still move on from there. Now that stuff is basically foot notes and way more focus on supernatural scary stuff.
I dunno season 1 worked for me on the level the supernatural stuff drove coming of age stories, season 2 felt like supernatural stuff was a backdrop to character stuff but they didn't really know what to do with the characters and season 3 felt like the supernatural stuff took center stage but they expensed any real character development beyond the odd scene.
One thing I did like that nobody has mentioned how main russian heavy was basically a terminator both in style and music queues.

One thing I did like that nobody has mentioned how main Russian heavy was basically a terminator both in style and music queues.
I noticed that too, haha
The Mayor (I think? Might have been Hopper) even refers to him as Arnold Schwarzeneggar - when he's slowly walking forward firing his AK from the hip I had massive Terminator 2 flashbacks.

I noticed that too, haha
The Mayor (I think? Might have been Hopper) even refers to him as Arnold Schwarzeneggar - when he's slowly walking forward firing his AK from the hip I had massive Terminator 2 flashbacks.

Yeah one of many 'on the nose' 80's homages... body snatchers was another (although it was released in 78).

There was article somewhere bemoaning the fact Stranger Things relies heavily on 80's nostalgia....I failed to see the point they were making....

There was article somewhere bemoaning the fact Stranger Things relies heavily on 80's nostalgia....I failed to see the point they were making....

Nah, the nostalgia is at the very least, half of the fun.

I love the setting, 80s **** is definitely my jam

It's crazy cause the writers were born in 84 so it's all nostalgia for something they didn't live through - just experienced through TV shows and movies etc (which I totally get as I'm in the same boat)

I dunno I'm an '84 kid and you lived through a lot of it by osmosis of films like ET, Back to the Future and other films of that era and they definitely defined my childhood. And it those films it's playing nostalgia with.

The more political stuff with the Ruskies and Reagan none of that really rings a bell. But those kids yup my upbringing wasn't that dissimilar enough.

Mine just had more computer games, it was my teens that was very different due to the internet and mobile phones.

I dunno I'm an '84 kid and you lived through a lot of it by osmosis of films like ET, Back to the Future and other films of that era and they definitely defined my childhood. And it those films it's playing nostalgia with.

The more political stuff with the Ruskies and Reagan none of that really rings a bell. But those kids yup my upbringing wasn't that dissimilar enough.

Mine just had more computer games, it was my teens that was very different due to the internet and mobile phones.

I love the setting, 80s **** is definitely my jam

It's crazy cause the writers were born in 84 so it's all nostalgia for something they didn't live through - just experienced through TV shows and movies etc (which I totally get as I'm in the same boat)

I was born in 79 so the 80's were basically my pre-teens decade and I honestly feel that I enjoy the nostalgia-side of things so much more because of that... it just takes me back to my innocence with every episode.

And reminiscent of the Goonies. Loved that film growing up and glad Sean Astin was used in S2. Shame they killed him off. Read Wynona complained to the writers as she was really close to him.

Latest posts