• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Just about to start The Witcher now. Was really looking forward to it but the very average reception from fans and critics so far has tempered my expectations some... which is probably a good thing actually.

Just about to start The Witcher now. Was really looking forward to it but the very average reception from fans and critics so far has tempered my expectations some... which is probably a good thing actually.
I havmt played the games so im basing it purly on the show not comparing it, it is a set up episode but good. Obv i wont give anything away but as its been said above i agree the sword fights are very well done

Witcher seems to have gotten pretty good reviews from Fans I thought.
Trouble with adaptions is there are a lot of people that gatekeep rather than being open minded to it.

I will say most of the people who have had problems with it were the ones who compare it to the games not the books.

First ep down... was pretty good to be fair. Production values were very good, as mentioned above the fight choreography is as good as it gets, acting is decent.

The only thing I would say in terms of a negative is it is possibly moving a little fast. What I mean by that is the big things that happened in ep 1 maybe felt like... ok a GoT equivalent would be an episode 9 of a season crescendo. Therefore it would've already 'earned' the emotional reaction where as it seems like The Witcher could be in a bit of a rush to get to the meat of the story. But, having said all that I would give the ep around an 8, which is a more than decent start. Hopefully, it will settle into the season 1 arc and slow down a little, allowing character and plot points to breath a little moving forward.

Is the story one of the games, or one of the books, or completely new?
I haven't read the books but I've been following the production since it was announced and to my knowledge it starts by covering the books, which was way before the events of even the first game. Someone on another forum mentioned that season 1 is covering the first book which is a collection of short stories that started the whole series in the first place. Although, even in the first ep there are a few 'signposts' to things that eventually happen in The Witcher 3.

Ace,
I'm gonna start Witcher 3 (finally) soon, didn't wanna get too spoiled by the show if it was following that storyline

Ace,
I'm gonna start Witcher 3 (finally) soon, didn't wanna get too spoiled by the show if it was following that storyline
It's honestly making me wanna go back and finally finish it actually.

It's adapting the first two books I believe, which are both a collection of short stories. I've read the first one and from the first two Geralt's storyline is clearly from it but the side plots aren't and some events have been changed in their chronology.

It's enjoyable so far but hasn't completely hooked me. As usual some of the internet's reaction is quite funny. People giving out a character's hair isn't red, that Geralt's medallion isn't 3D and that he doesn't carry two swords which are all things from the games and not the books. Also one reviewer skipping from episode 2 to episode 5 and saying it's ****, which must be deliberate trolling

Anyone else into the Expanse? Watched the whole of the new season last Sunday and really enjoyed it.
I tried to get into it back when season 1 was airing but struggled. Have heard that it has gotten very good though, so quite tempted to give it another try.

Just finished the Witcher series on my marathon flights back to SA. As a gamer and not a reader (yet) I really enjoyed it. Was a bit concerned about Cavill before hand but thought he did a really great job as the Witcher, as did the actor playing Jaskier/ Dandelion. Critics are giving it mixed reviews but the audience reviews are in the 90s.

I would imagine there is a fair bit of a learning curve though for anyone that knows nothing about the Witcher, and then jumping timelines doesn't simplify things either, but really happy that they did it though.

For those wondering where this fits in, it's way before the games took place. I believe at the moment it's pulling from the last wish short stories and then Ciri about 13/14 years younger than she is in the games and probably covered in the books. So if you want to play this doesn't spoil the game, in fact it gives a lot more backstory of some of the characters and their history.

Now 5 episodes through The Witcher and I like it.

Although it is medieval fantasy, it is extremely different to the genre staples like LotR and GoT... it kinda feels more like the works of Robert E Howard or a live action version of Japanese manga interpretations of European Medieval fantasy like Berserk or the Castlevania anime. This is fine by me really as although I'm a huge thrones fan I love these other examples too.

One thing that had the missus and I perplexed for a while until we cracked it... who does Cavill's Geralt sound like? It was very familiar but we couldn't put our finger on it... until about 4 eps in. He sounds 'just' like Starlord when he tries to sound like a Thor in Infinity War... which once it's in your head you can't unhear it. Sorry in advance :p!

Last edited:
MV5BYjhhZDE3NjgtMjkzNC00NzI3LWJhOTItMWQ5ZjljODA5NWNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzQ2MDI5NjU@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

Really good show.

On episode 5 of the Witcher. As someone who admittedly doesn't have the best attention span for tv shows and had never read the books or played the games, I had no idea what was going on with the storylines until this episode. I'm enjoying it so far. Went into the weeds a but for an episode but I like Cavill and the action bits are all great. People expecting game of thrones or anything like that will be disappointed. It's high fantasy action.

Anyone been watching the updated version of A Christmas Carol on BBC with Guy Pearce as Scrooge? Pretty good so far, with a couple of interesting twists to Scrooge's back story. Last episode on tonight.

Started watching the Witcher. Witcher 3 is my favourite game of all time so I was delighted to hear they'd make a series.

It's good but could have been much better if they left out all the politician shite. Feminism message is very strong in it and half the main characters are African which ruins the aesthetics. Imagine blond haired Europeans playing Zulus. Even Yennefer looks Indian although the actress playing her is good. They also intentionally made the bad guys' (Nilfgaard) uniform look like a shrivelled penis apparently. Utter nonsense.
Cavill is a great choice for the lead role.

I like the way they go back and forth in time. Some the the scenes (Gerailt fighting the monster in the abandoned castle) look great and the fighting is done well. The most stars look great too.

It's worth watching even with all the 'in your face' politican BS.

Latest posts