Votes: 4 12.1%

Votes: 1 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 9.1%

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was the era of kick tennis,
The product as a whole was **** - if it were childish bias like you're trying to claim then surely the English would love it because we somehow scraped through to the final playing dross

This thread is about which world cup was the best not which world cup did your team do the best in - hence 2003 barely getting a look in by the English posters: because it wasn't the best tournament despite (obviously) being OUR best tournament

'87 Wasn't born
'91 Wasn't aware
'95 Wasn't aware
'99 Wasn't into Rugby at the time
'03 First tournament i watched. Loved it for the obvious reasons but as a whole, not amazing
'07 First tournament i watched as a rugby player. Enjoyed it, don't think it was as bad as people are saying.
'11 Good but relatively processional for NZ. Loved the Tonga v France match.
'15 Good tournament even though England bombed.
'19 IMO best tournament, most open, most entertaining

1987 - Just a starter to get things rolling, rugby was still an obscure sport and several pool matches were played to empty stadiums.

1991 - (my favorite) much more exciting. England lucky to squeeze through to the final. This was also the last time I can remember a really dominant Scottish side.

1995 - SA joined the party. Some heavy thrashings in the pool stages, but good tournament once the knock-outs started. I remember the infamous match between SA and Canada when the lights went out in the stadium for 30 minutes, the match when it later started was just a brawl. Also the 747 aircraft doing the low passes over the stadium just before the final kicked off - You had to be there to know what it was like.

1999 - Over shadowed by the Paddington rail disaster which took a lot of the headlines. Wales beat SA for the very first time in the first match at the Millenium stadium. Some obscure fixtures eg SA v England played in Paris.

2003 - Boring. Nothing spectacular. England ground out a boring win in the final.

2007 - Two words "Bryan Habana"

2011 - Lots of off-the-field shenanigans. England boys in all sorts of trouble, Tuilagi arrested for swimming in the harbour. Sam Warburton's red card was correct - could have been Wales best chance of winning, dashed.

2015 - Japan beating SA will be talked about 1000 years from now. Some terrible scheduling after Wales beat England in pool, meaning that Wales played a QF game at Twickers while 2 other QF games were played the same weekend in Cardiff. Hotels were packed full. Some poor reffing - Scotland v Australia.

2019 - Uruguay and South Africa were the only two teams who went home happy.

2019 - Uruguay and South Africa were the only two teams who went home happy.
Japan weren't happy? As an England fan I'm pretty happy even if we didn't win the entire thing. Think NZ and Ireland were the only Quarter-Finalists ****** off by their showing.

Yeah, I'm happy with 2019 - we did way better than I expected (pre-tournament I thought we'd be out in the quarters)

Japan weren't happy? As an England fan I'm pretty happy even if we didn't win the entire thing. Think NZ and Ireland were the only Quarter-Finalists ****** off by their showing.

Japan got knocked out in front of their home crowd in the Quarters...
No they were not happy.

England were disappointed not to have won the cup.

I always said a SF showing should be par (and for England should be always a minimum goal considering wealth and player pool), a QF would of not been good but not terrible but any further is a good tournament.

Reality is any team who looses the final shouldn't go away unhappy and the only time that's really going to be happen if if you have an utter dominant team like there was in '03, '11 & '15

Japan got knocked out in front of their home crowd in the Quarters...
No they were not happy.

England were disappointed not to have won the cup.
So Japan in front of a home crowd got further than had in any tournament previous to this and somehow they are disappointed? I struggle to think apart from being deluded why anyone would be disappointed in that.

Disappointed to not win is not the same as being unhappy to where they got.

4ahi4f.jpg

*Where South Africa did best

There are people actually arguing 07 is the best tournament ever
The fact England got to the final sums that year up.

So Japan in front of a home crowd got further than had in any tournament previous to this and somehow they are disappointed? I struggle to think apart from being deluded why anyone would be disappointed in that.

Disappointed to not win is not the same as being unhappy to where they got.

This. Japan embraced the old WC and took lots of teams on board. The support Wales had from the locals was incredible. Plenty to celebrate too with their rugby too. 2019 is a success not a failure.

Make sure you get the group match not the final. I don't remember the game that much but I probably bleached my brain afterwards. Blowouts also tend to note be that exciting unless your support the winning team.

Have just watched it... what a game, I'm VERY excited!! Despite the score. Although didn't like English players (during that match) to be honest, they were aggressive and insolent, Springboks deserved that win. Percy Montgomery, François Steyn, JP Pietersen were incredible!

*Where South Africa did best

There are people actually arguing 07 is the best tournament ever

What else did you expect from these type of threads?? It's an opinion based thread. Of course people are going to favour their own team above others.

I think the reason why 2019 might not be my favourite is because of the typhoon, and how teams got more "off time", but in hindsight, that off time didn't make a difference.

I think 2007 was probably the tournament with the least amount of contraversy since rugby went professional.

Only France, England and Scotland qualified for the knockouts from the NH (wait, I get it now, why so many NH guys hated that tournament).
It's a new complaint to me - that there aren't enough England fans on this board

Or Cueto himself whom I believe is still adamant he wasn't in touch. Oddly these days we have the TMO better on protocols and whatever the the onfield decision was would of stood and we wouldn't have looked at that for an age.

Latest posts