Votes: 2 6.1%

Votes: 4 12.1%

Votes: 1 3.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 9.1%

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Off pitch I feel 2019 was the one that in my mind felt like rugby actually expanded and didn't just feel like a normal rugby competition if i'm being honest.
The fact that the next 2 RWC are looking like France and Australia is frankly disappointing and sad.

Am I going to be in my damn 50's by the time the farts that run rugby decide to expand it somewhere else again?

As an English fan my happiest memories are of 2003. As a rugby enthusiast I thought 2019 was excellent. As someone with a sense of history then it would have to be 1995 - The Rainbow nation and Jonah Lomu.

I'm not sure the Kiwis would agree with this ;)

Nor the Cueto fanboys :mad::mad::mad:

Everytime referee ...

Also 2007 had the old Paddy Power tried to boost the cash-strapped coffers of the Tongan rugby team by asking them to dye their hair green before their pool match against England. They also tried to get Epi Taione to change his name by deed poll to Paddy Power. World Rugby demanded Tonga wash out the green in their hair before the game before fining Taione. In response the bookmaker shipped out hundreds of green wigs to the Tongan fans. Another 2007 classic.

It'd be easy for me to say 2003 - first one I watched live (on TV, but not years after the fact) plus.....yeah.

As a whole product, and it could be recency bias, but 19 and 15 were the ones I enjoyed most.
15 didn't have the typhoon but 19 didn't have England bombing out in the pools.
So 19.

But that was the best bit! ;)

I'm not sure the Kiwis would agree with this ;)

Nor the Cueto fanboys :mad::mad::mad:

Ha! I knew you'd say that.

Cueto was out! now leave it at that, Frans Steyn still knocked over a 50m penalty kick in a Final at the ripe age of 21.

As for the Kiwi's, F**k 'em! they got the trophy 2 times in a row thereafter.

And it's not as worse as the whole Bryce Lawrence incident of 2011.

I think if you ask any saffa, which World Cup was the worst for them, I think it would be unanimous for 2003. Kamp Staaldraad, Geo Cronje, Jorrie Muller. That was just awful, and such a pity as it was Joost van der Westhuizen's swansong tournament, where he was even the captain of the team.

2003 for me even though we lost. The reason its the best for me is I went to my first International - Fiji vs France. and it was the first RWC I remember taking an interest in.

2015 - as it was argentina vs aus semi(or quarter) either way i won £820 on adam ashley cooper scoring a hat trick vs argentina! Bad world cup as an englishman but that did make me happy:) over all was up about£1000from that world cup :)

Attending a couple of games in 15 definitely takes it up a notch, for me.

Thinking more on it I think 19 is definitely the best, for my money (and no not because of the England factor).
It was a high standard of rugby and I struggle to think of any real stinkers of games, crowds were fantastic and the whole country really got behind the tournament, some teams got some really memorable results (Eng vs NZ, Japan vs Ireland/Scotland - not on the level of their '15 win over South Africa but still fantastic results in key moments), and then Siya Kolisi lifting the trophy was a fantastic sight for anyone to see (even if it meant your side losing).

2003 was probably my favourite to be honest. Ireland didn't do worse than expected and nearly/should have beaten Oz in the pools which is just about as well as we do in RWC but thats really not a factor.

France and Fiji played audaciously sexy rugby.

It was the last time the Aussies really could put it up to and beat NZ.

There were some really memorable defensive moments, I think it was Brian Lima who killed the South Africa's 12. BOD tracking back, catching Baby and turning it over is a highlight reel moment too.

Galthié, Johnson, Van Der Westhuizen and Wood capped off hall of fame careers.

And despite not being too keen the winners it is definitely the most iconic final we've had and there's few more likeable guys in rugby to have that moment than Jonny Wilkinson.

I'd say the only downside was that it was a weak enough tournament for the tier two nations with only Fiji putting up a fight and a few absolute hammerings too.

2003 was probably my favourite to be honest. Ireland didn't do worse than expected and nearly/should have beaten Oz in the pools which is just about as well as we do in RWC but thats really not a factor.

France and Fiji played audaciously sexy rugby.

It was the last time the Aussies really could put it up to and beat NZ.

There were some really memorable defensive moments, I think it was Brian Lima who killed the South Africa's 12. BOD tracking back, catching Baby and turning it over is a highlight reel moment too.

Galthié, Johnson, Van Der Westhuizen and Wood capped off hall of fame careers.

And despite not being too keen the winners it is definitely the most iconic final we've had and there's few more likeable guys in rugby to have that moment than Jonny Wilkinson.

I'd say the only downside was that it was a weak enough tournament for the tier two nations with only Fiji putting up a fight and a few absolute hammerings too.

2015 (Host Nation England) ... 2007 (Host Nation France) ...1999 (Host Nation Wales) ... 1991 (Host Nation England, France, Ireland, Scotland and Wales) ... 1991 was really the true multi host nation, it was given to all those nations to host. 2015, 2007 and 1999 were given to a host nation who asked other nations to help stage (this does not mean they are the host nation) ... just want to point this out so there is no confusion.

1999 ... host nation lost to Samoa in the group stage too. Australia vs South Africa went into Extra Time in the Semi's. Some good rugby on display too.

Will argue 1991 and 2007 were not the greatest but had their entertaining parts.

"1991 was really the true multi host nation, it was given to all those nations to host."

Or, looked at another way: A country with multiple ten-thousand-plus seat venues couldn't get enough together to run their own WC and needed France and Wales to help out

Of course we had a 'true multi-host' tournament in '87, but it was just those pesky colonials, and we know they don't count.

It was the era of kick tennis,
The product as a whole was **** - if it were childish bias like you're trying to claim then surely the English would love it because we somehow scraped through to the final playing dross

This thread is about which world cup was the best not which world cup did your team do the best in - hence 2003 barely getting a look in by the English posters: because it wasn't the best tournament despite (obviously) being OUR best tournament
I voted 1987 because it was the first and there were a lot of doubters especially in the NH. NZ were certainly a cut above the rest and deserving winners but three of the best RWC matches to this day were played at that tournament. France vs Scotland in the pool play. Absolute cracker of a game and im not sure whether I've seen Scotland play better against one of France's greatest teams. .France again against Australia in the semi final . Legendary finish and Wales vs Australia in the Bronze medal playoff steal;ing a famous upset. If you watch all of Frances games through that tournament that's worth the price of admission alone. Best final was NZ vs Aus 2015 . Exciting the whole way through and enough tries to make it interesting for the neutral. Most disappointing was England going belly up and being thrashed by SA in 2019

Most disappointing was England going belly up and being thrashed by SA in 2019
There was 6 points in it until 66 mins, don't let the scoreline deceive it was actually a tight game for the most part.

It was certainly a far closer affair than 1999 (did France bother to turn up?), 2015 (Australia needed a yellow card to be competitive) and 1987 (at least France got a try in that one).

Classic nope, SA deserve to win and look like winning all match yup, a thrashing? Not really

Very rarely post on here but I like this sort of thread!

Getting the subjective out of the way first. From a Welsh point of view, obviously 1987, 2011 and 2019 stand out and ( I know, I know) I genuinely feel both latter two times we could have gone on to win it.

Objectively, again 1987 as it seemed at the time a noble experiment that was not assured of success. NZ were a bit too good for everyone, which was a downside but perhaps it did push other countries to improve - notably England and Australia. For obvious reasons, 1995 was an extraordinary occasion As with others on here, 2019 probably the only one as good or better with some great games. Actually, 2015 on the whole was a good one too.

The worst subjectively were 1991, 1995 and 2007 as Wales were just the pits!

The worst objectively was 2007 with hardly any good games. Thinking about it, 1999 doesn't really tand out either apart from that France-NZ game.

So, 2019 the best overall and 2007 the worst!

I know your drunk on the memory but you scored two mate

Either that's the point, the first want scored until 66 mins in a game there has to be context of when it was scored to whether it was a thrashing or not.

Just some bantz man...

I like to see it as a thrashing. We thrashed you pommies!! Kolbe BURNED Owen Farrel!

We owned your pack that whole game!

Thrashed!!

I vaguely remember 91. Beating the French in the old Parc de Paris. That tackle by Skinner. Hastings missing a sitter at Murrayfield. And the final was largely dross as I recall. Just remember Campo deliberately knocking on.

95 was really special. Lomu and that NZ team were something else and the Boks winning it after returning from Exile.

99 was a forgettable one apart from that France v NZ semi.

' 03 Yeh loved that one For obvious reasons. That England team really deserved to win it.

'07 yeh not fondly remembered. England getting to the final through sheer bloody mindedness. But agree with Olyy the quality of rugby was not one to remember.

'11. not bad but the games being too early I. Terms of remembering and enjoying them
Not as good as others. Final was forgettable and so were England in that tournament.

2015. apart from the diabolical performance of England was a great tournament. Got to attend 4 games including quarters, semi and final. No way I would have got a ticket had any of the 4 home nations managed to get to the final.

final was fabulous and worth every penny spent. Glorious day and 5 tries in a final. Carter was supreme and total redemption for injury 4 years ago.

2019 - fanatastic tournament as well apart from the final from an England POV. But Japan's quality of rugby and that semi v NZ really stood out for me.

in no order of preference as they were unique and memorable for their own way: 1995, 2003, 2015 and 2019.

Japan got knocked out in front of their home crowd in the Quarters...
No they were not happy.

England were disappointed not to have won the cup.
Japan a tier 2 nation beat Scotland and played some great rugby, got out of the groups when not expected 2 and were knocked out in the QFs by the eventual winners. Nothing to be unhappy about, the tournement was a success for the team and for the country.

England were beaten by the better team, and while im gutted we didnt win im not unhappy with the tournement.