What we want from commentary

The Cam

Academy Player
I have compliled a list of things I think the commentary must have

* Detailed and realistic introductions
* First names and last names of players
* Fluent commentary, not "Oh, pause, ThauThau, pause , and what a try..."
* Say what happens immediately
* Natural (real) sounding commentary. Like FIFA11 (Rugby 05,06,08 sounded like lame acting)
* History, background info, statistical, and overall commentary on game in conversation format between commentator and colour commentator. eg Discuss weather, pitch, game strategy, history of stadium, current rugby issues)
* Sideline reports
* Focus on what is happening and what could happen, maybe throw in a few predictions eg: "He has a man on the outside, Will he use him?" "There is no one back deep for NZ, will they kick". A commentator can direct possibilities to the audience as well as report what is happening now"
* Get EXCITED, this usually contributes to the playing experience eg (Skysports Australia)
* Make sure that what is said is clear, in Rugby 05,06,08 it sounds as if Ian Robertson's voice dissappears in the noise of the crowd and it distorts
* Involve the colour-commentator by referring to him more and asking his opinion, this minimizes repetetiveness.
* Throw in some comparisons, metaphors and puns
* Remain objective

I'm not too fussed about commentary, as unless I'm playing a story-driven game, or a shoot-em-up I'll have music on over it, but as long as it's better than RL3s commentary i'll be happy.

RL3s wasn't terrible but there was massive pauses when names were read out, and the names were in like a different tone of voice, so it was like a robot so it'd be:
That was a lovely try by GREG INGLIS.

I think that there needs to at least double the number of lines for each action...
But what would really make the commentary less repetitive would be having alot more player/team specific commentary.
eg. If Romania beat the All Blacks the commentators should be going crazy! either that or they would be speechless... And if there was alot of player specific commentary then when playing through world league mode (if it's included) you'd probably hear alot of different commentary simply because you might be using players that you wouldn't normally use.
I'd also love to see alot more statistics in the commentary... no. of tries/points/tackles/turnovers/knock-ons etc.

* Focus on what is happening and what could happen, maybe throw in a few predictions eg: "He has a man on the outside, Will he use him?" "There is no one back deep for NZ, will they kick". A commentator can direct possibilities to the audience as well as report what is happening now"
* Get EXCITED, this usually contributes to the playing experience eg (Skysports Australia)

Another good line would be. "Overlap to the right (or left) Nisbo". From the colour commentator to Grant Nisbett, if Nisbo end's up hopefully being the main commentator.

Yeah, excitement is a must, it just adds to the whole experience. When a huge play, break or tackle happens, the commentators need to get excited.

I'm not too fussed about commentary, as unless I'm playing a story-driven game, or a shoot-em-up I'll have music on over it, but as long as it's better than RL3s commentary i'll be happy.

RL3s wasn't terrible but there was massive pauses when names were read out, and the names were in like a different tone of voice, so it was like a robot so it'd be:
That was a lovely try by GREG INGLIS.

That is correct, its just laziness, an extra couple of hours in the recording room would make the game way more realistic sounding. ''And its Nonu with the try'' sounds better than ''And its ''Nonu'' with the try''

I'm not sure if this would be possible (due to TV/Radio rights), if not they could just redo them in the studio. But it would be great to get some lines from the commentators real commentating in past games.

That is correct, its just laziness, an extra couple of hours in the recording room would make the game way more realistic sounding. ''And its Nonu with the try'' sounds better than ''And its ''Nonu'' with the try''

Alright. You do that for every bloody player in the game.

Alright. You do that for every bloody player in the game.

Geez! Calm down... I definitely agree with ckell here. I'm sure that recording commentary for sports games is a tedious task but it needs to be done and as a huge fan of Rugby and Rugby games it needs to be done well! Plus, this doesn't seem like that big of a deal, especially considering the impact it would have on making the commentary flow really well.

They could get whoever they choose for commentary to say the players name in a few different tones. eg. Casual tone, Excited tone.

If Romania beat the All Blacks the commentators should be going crazy!

oh, I like the sounds of that :p

Now really, it's difficult to make commentary that's not repetitive. Generally when you play for a long time you develop certain strategies that you always use (like the grubber in r08) and the commentary gets annoying. To be fair, the commentary in Rugby08 and 06 was abysmal, so let's say that is a bad reference point for the discussion. In my opinion they should stick to the names, that might help you remember the names that made a good game, and so on.

I don't think that's the case. They tried to use soccer-style commentary for a rugby game. the thing is that if you play elite, the game gets faster and the commentary, amongst other things (like animations), fall out of sync. They should use a fast paced commentary, like hockey or basketball, with as little unrelated remarks, as it gets old overtime.

"what are your thoughts, grant?"
"they had a great performance...bla"
"do you think they can go all the way?"
etc...

but i don't think anyone can get bored of "ma'a nonu...ma'a nonu....MA'A NONU!!!... Great try!" :)

Last edited:
I don't know if you guys are familiar with NHL games, but they really have the commentary nailed. They talk loads about the history of teams and players, and have lots of cutsences showing the player's stats for the game - it would be great to see this in 2012, even if it is low budget.

Geez! Calm down... I definitely agree with ckell here. I'm sure that recording commentary for sports games is a tedious task but it needs to be done and as a huge fan of Rugby and Rugby games it needs to be done well! Plus, this doesn't seem like that big of a deal, especially considering the impact it would have on making the commentary flow really well.

Why do people think I'm getting angry when I'm just being realistic?

You're not being realistic. Read what I said, they have hundreds of unique lines in FIFA so there's no reason why they shouldn't have a decent amount of lines in Rugby 2012

You're not being realistic. Read what I said, they have hundreds of unique lines in FIFA so there's no reason why they shouldn't have a decent amount of lines in Rugby 2012

Yes, but this is not FIFA. Paying pro commentators to come into the studio costs money, I don't know exactly how much, but I'd assume it ain't cheap.

They should do what 2K Sports do. Make fictional commentators, maybe even give them a 3d model. The coms really have to read the game more. And also, a wide database of very common names in rugby.. or make your own would be a very nice innovation!

Latest posts