16. Owens
17. Healy
18. Sinckler
19. Henderson
20. Vunipola
21. Webb
22. Biggar
23. Adams/Tuilagi.
So as close to 2017 as humanely possible?

Two games in very hard to decide but after today.
Sutherland
LCD
Furlong
Ryan
AWJ
Curry
JVF
Faletau
No one but Conney from Euro performance.
Biggar
Adams
Farrell
Henshaw
May
Lamour

George
Sinks
Genge
Itoje
Tiporic
No one
Tuilagi
Stockdale.
Total lack of 9s in NH is disconcerting.

So as close to 2017 as humanely possible?

yeah, I have used that as my basis of the 23. Sexton - will be 35 come the next Lions tour, so he may make it. Tuilagi I included, but I think the Saffers don't mind playing him and he's not a certainty because of his injury record. I just don't see how Gatland will have enough time to mould a proper test team in the limited number of matches before the tests, so he will lean on the ones he knows and can perform when it matters, with a few new faces like Wainwright and hopefully Curry for Tiperic. Underhill, with his physicality at the breakdown also can't be discounted to make the test team.

McGeechan's starting XV.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52158743

7 Eng, 3 Wal, 3 Sco and 2 Ire. Sounds about right :)
We're full to the brim with talented backrowers in the NH right now and he chooses Jamie Ritchie? Like if you're going to put a Scot in the backrow at least go for Watson.

Other than that I'd say he's pretty close to the mark there, most of those guys have a better than evens chance of starting if they're fit. Don't see how you can leavy May (and to a lesser extent Adams) out of the back three though.

We're full to the brim with talented backrowers in the NH right now and he chooses Jamie Ritchie? Like if you're going to put a Scot in the backrow at least go for Watson.

Other than that I'd say he's pretty close to the mark there, most of those guys have a better than evens chance of starting if they're fit. Don't see how you can leavy May (and to a lesser extent Adams) out of the back three though.

Although he's a spikey c*** Ritchie has been Scotland's form backrower in this 6N and also in the RWC QF v Japan. Watson has also played well but if Curry starts at 7 then Ritchie would have to be a contender for blindside. His breakdown work has been superb and I can absolutely see him being the 'test match animal' as Geechs refers to. I doubt Gatland would pick him to start over the likes of Wainwright though.

Hard to argue with the other selections. I'd like to see the Lions try and unlock SA with a flair 10 but I just can't see Gatland going for anyone other than Farrell given his reliability with the boot and how precious penalty points will be.

Last edited:
Anyone see this?
https://www.the42.ie/lions-all-blacks-warren-gatland-5069627-Apr2020/
Gats is right that rugby will need to get very creative to make money when all of this is over. A few one off games could put a serious dent in losses. I strongly doubt this will happen, nor do I really want it to, but I do wonder if we'll see some ambitious exhibition games trialed when all of this normalises.

Anyone see this?
https://www.the42.ie/lions-all-blacks-warren-gatland-5069627-Apr2020/
Gats is right that rugby will need to get very creative to make money when all of this is over. A few one off games could put a serious dent in losses. I strongly doubt this will happen, nor do I really want it to, but I do wonder if we'll see some ambitious exhibition games trialed when all of this normalises.

I don't like the idea of this either and don't believe it should be viewed as a 'decider' when it's four years on from the last test with a bunch of different players and coaches. I'm fine with a warm up game against another nation prior to the arriving in SA but think don't think it should be NZ or Australia as it will devalue the other Lions tours. Japan, France or Argentina might be a better alternative.

I don't like the idea of this either and don't believe it should be viewed as a 'decider' when it's four years on from the last test with a bunch of different players and coaches. I'm fine with a warm up game against another nation prior to the arriving in SA but think don't think it should be NZ or Australia as it will devalue the other Lions tours. Japan, France or Argentina might be a better alternative.

Agreed, it's a nonsensical idea. Think a game against Argentina would be the most similar to what we may face against SA.

Agreed. Article also mentions that Garland was trying to set up a warm-up with the Maori AB, which is fine, there's always one of those. Another full blown test game is bad for the tour though.

Just an idea but why not Namibia in Namibia? It'll attract the crowds, it's something the Lions or any Home nation has never done to my mind, it's the right time zone and should be physical enough too.

Agreed. Article also mentions that Garland was trying to set up a warm-up with the Maori AB, which is fine, there's always one of those. Another full blown test game is bad for the tour though.

Aye, do another non-test if they want to try and squeeze some more cash out of it but a full game against the ABs is madness, as is claiming that will decide who the winner is.
Like, if England beat the Springboks twice in this world cup cycle are we the new world cup champs? 2-1 n that?

I imagine this is Gatland wanting to get back on the ABs radar since he left Wales under a bit of a cloud with the Howley business and a poor RWC.

Since I'm bored, An online Facebook poll got the following. Interesting to note that Farrell got voted in at 10 and 12 so they opted for the second choice 12 that was Davies. Not a bad team although I don't really know who I'd have at 12, probably Henshaw.

Mako
Goeorge
Furlong
Ryan
Itoje
Curry
Underhill
Billy V
Connor
Farrell
May
Davies
Many
Watson
Hogg

Ireland, Henshaw and Ringrose were all unlucky following Ringer's injury. Henshaw was looking like he could get back to 2016 form and Ringrose has been unplayable since the world cup where he was Ireland's good player.

Don't think we'd have won in Twickenham with him but it wouldn't have been the embarrassment we saw. A season uninterrupted by injury next year should see a Manu Ringrose midfield in my opinion, it could be similar to the sexy stuff we saw with Roberts and BOD last time in SA.

Since I'm bored, An online Facebook poll got the following. Interesting to note that Farrell got voted in at 10 and 12 so they opted for the second choice 12 that was Davies. Not a bad team although I don't really know who I'd have at 12, probably Henshaw.

Mako
Goeorge
Furlong
Ryan
Itoje
Curry
Underhill
Billy V
Connor
Farrell
May
Davies
Many
Watson
Hogg

I assume the votes cast are representative of the home nation populations. Not overly keen on the half back pairing but hard to argue with the rest. The midweek side halfback pairing could be G Davies and Russell which would have a bit more razzle dazzle to it.

Mako
Goeorge
Furlong
Ryan
Itoje
Curry
Underhill
Billy V
Connor
Farrell
May
Davies
Many
Watson
Hogg
Not a bad side but you can tell England is the most populous of the countries.

Latest posts