What's happened to English clubs?

Ragey Erasmus

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bath
Last year we were riding high in Europe, topping tables and generally doing well. This year everyone bar Wasps and Sarries have been absolutely ****e. The Irish in particular have been playing so much better than our clubs who look clueless and lethargic. What on Earth has happened in the past year? It's weird because as England look to be in the best form in years, our clubs look terrible.

I can't tell you how hard this thread makes me mate. Honestly though early days, lots of rugby to be played. I don't think it's a national things, but the Irish teams have seen a big recovery for a number of reasons.

I have a theory who was in England whilst the English teams dominated the Irish team?

And who is now in Ireland now?

The answer is Lancaster and Farrell.

I will say England playing a test last weekend will not have helped English clubs at all.

So the Irish are poaching foreign talent?
Wow, there's a surprise!

Ahhh, Olly I didn't get a chance to watch the Sale game, how'd it go?

- - - Updated - - -

I have a theory who was in England whilst the English teams dominated the Irish team?

I will say England playing a test last weekend will not have helped English clubs at all.

How many English internationals do Saints and Tigers have?

Don't know but Tigers just didn't fancy it today at all. When playing Irish teams you have to get under their skin and in their faces early. But Tigers seemed so passive it was embarrassing.

You could argue last year was the blip. If you exclude it since 2012 Sarries have been the only English club to make the semi finals. All 3 Irish provinces (sorry Connacht) and Edinburgh have made semi finals in that time. The French are strongly represented every year.

Its just normal service resuming.

The last bit is essential. Because for example today with Leicester. A perfect example.
You have Cole and Youngs played last week.
Then coaches have 1 week to plan based on how they come back. Cole didn't even come back as he got injured. Also that test match drained them it had to. And next week they'll struggle a bit too maybe as there has to be a comedown. It was unfair on clubs that the test was played last week. It should've been same weekend Ireland played in Chicago. At least then you've 1 league game where ok international guys will still play but it won't be as damaging in that games in a 4 team pool are much more important than a 12 team league at this time.

Not really, if you look at the history of the comp England's had 7 winners and 6 runners up, which is 2nd to France.

Not sure i'd place that much weight on events of 10+ years ago when analysing current form but ok.....

Then you can't count any results beyond the past year or so, in which case England and France are the daddies, as Toulon and Sarries have cleaned up.
Ireland who?

For me the answer is simple. Tigers and Northampton are on a low at the moment and need to go through a rebuilding phase. Leinster and Munster started their rebuilding phase a few years ago and now are on a high again but have a bit to go yet.

For me the answer is simple. Tigers and Northampton are on a low at the moment and need to go through a rebuilding phase. Leinster and Munster started their rebuilding phase a few years ago and now are on a high again but have a bit to go yet.

Just on that bit regards Munster. People don't realise we have been building this team over the last 5 years or so. Today Jaco Taute was the only player starting who can never play for Ireland. Tyler becomes IQ next year and CJ is IQ. After that the rest were born in Munster and came through ranks here.

Leicester do have good academy and will be going through a process as will most English clubs. I respect English clubs do see a lot of their academy get there. It isn't as bad as French side of it.

Then you can't count any results beyond the past year or so, in which case England and France are the daddies, as Toulon and Sarries have cleaned up.
Ireland who?

Can't I?

Last year taken against the short term trend could be considered an aberration. Time will tell if thats correct or not but right now it seems a pretty straightforward and reasonable concept given the variables. You haven't really poked any holes in that....you've just baulked and thrown your toys away. Carry on.

With regards to the Falcons we have always used the lower Euro competition to blood the kids.

Latest posts