• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's missing from rugby?

awaldo

Academy Player
We are thinking of introducing a new product into rugby, what sort of things do you think rugby needs. Are there any hypothetical products that you believe rugby players could benefit from having?

what do you think or what do you currently manufacture? It's a broad question so need to be more specific.

You look at how football gets to kids, with their stickers, kids books, easy to access clothing etc and even toys yet rugby doesn't have that.

I mean I'm strictly talking about me and what I've seen but the my lad and the kids at my rugby club (over 500 I think) just don't have access to anything 'rugby' really aimed at them. My lads 8 and he wants more rugby 'stuff' but there just isn't much out there.

what do you think or what do you currently manufacture? It's a broad question so need to be more specific.

You look at how football gets to kids, with their stickers, kids books, easy to access clothing etc and even toys yet rugby doesn't have that.

I mean I'm strictly talking about me and what I've seen but the my lad and the kids at my rugby club (over 500 I think) just don't have access to anything 'rugby' really aimed at them. My lads 8 and he wants more rugby 'stuff' but there just isn't much out there.
Too much of a broad question...there is plenty wrong with the game. Unfortunately it is held back by the purist. To be more appealing to youngsters and paying spectators, it has to have less stopages and more jeopardy particularly in your own 22.

We need to invest in setting up an regional University level rugby for 19-21 year olds in every continent similar to American College Football and Japanese University Rugby Championship.Say for the Southern Hemisphere (I think this will only work without Argentina and maybe South Africa), Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji universities competing, and the Northern Hemisphere with the Six Nation teams including South Africa competing, and the North and South American countries competing.

"We are introducing a new product but, depending on what fans say we need, our company may either choose to create a new rugby university system, or introduce a set of new rugby bobbleheads. Who really knows"

A comprehensible law book?
I'm returning to reffing after a few years off due to injury. Just trying to refresh my knowledge since they rewrote the book (without changing the way the game was played apparently) has been very hard. Even checking during the World Cup to see if a questionable law call was correct has been difficult. What used to be clear cut (attacking team kicks ball dead for example) now requires using grammatical algebra to find your answer.

When I was younger there was a lack of TV exposure in the UK for the premiership. I felt that didn't help when football had MOTD.

I think that has changed though with highlights now being on ITV as I recall on my last visit.

Latest posts