Whats most important in a fullback?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by frontrowfatty, Jul 9, 2008.

1. What do you think is the single most important skill as a fullback?
    Do you think its speed, kicking or tackling?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. tommowins

tommowins Guest

tackling

4. cyRil

cyRil Guest

tackling, positioning, kicking.

5. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

And the ability to catch a ball?

6. cyRil

cyRil Guest

That's handy as well. :p :bleh!:

7. Gavin

Gavin Guest

A full-back needs every skill a rugby player would have. He needs to be able to catch a ball, tackle covering players, speed to catch attacking players and also the ability to kick the ball.

8. candybum

candybum Guest

I used to think that the Fullback was the last line of defense, which he is, so he needs to know how to tackle, be quick catch a ball, positioning like yous said.

But a fullback also needs to be very communicative, to be a good defensive organiser from the back, because he has the clearer view of the defensive frailties of your teams D-line etc.

9. feicarsinn

feicarsinn Guest

well to be an adaquate full back you need to be defensivley solid, more so than in any other position. take girvan dempsey as an example, no frills got the job done as opposed to turnstiles murphy. or ya could get the full package with rob kearney

10. Haysie

Haysie Guest

I reckon it's Vision. More than anything else. Everything else is a skill that can be worked on, much more than vision can.

11. I would agree on this, and general ability to read the game, being the most important qualities in a fullback.

There is no point being amazingly quick if you are caught in the wrong position every time. Similarly, it's useless being a brilliant tackler if you're never in the correct position to make said tackles. Positioning, judgement and timing are key to the position.

Of course any fullback also needs the momentary lapses in regards to their own personal safety which make them willing to take a high ball with the entire opposition back-row steaming down on them.

12. OSU Blue

OSU Blue Guest

I agree with SaintsFan. "general ability to read the game." couldn't have put it better myself..

13. scotland

scotland Guest

Yep that's perfectly put. That ability leads into all the others; tackling, positioning, kicking.

A poor reader of the game will get found out eventually with the exposure full backs have

14. kabezon

kabezon Guest

i think great aptitude to read the game ... of course perfect tackle!

15. jimi_bradley

jimi_bradley Guest

tackling, look at lewsey not lightning any more but still a world class full back

16. Security under the high ball, kicking, tackling, defensive positioning. Speed is a bonus.

17. Dmx#1

Dmx#1 Guest

What's most important a fullback?

Judging by the posts on the posts on this most South Africans would say: Percy Montgomery is the most important thing in a fullback.

18. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

Well they'd be wrong, because we all know that BEEF:

[​IMG]

is the most important thing in a hamburger.

...Wait, what's this talk about a fullback? :huh:

19. stegellett

stegellett Guest

tackling then positioning, kicking, speed

20. ollybarkley

ollybarkley Guest

I would agree that positioning and awareness are keys to being a successful fullback. Look at how long Chris Latham played for Aus, and was a key contributor and dangerman for them, without being a physically gifted player. He wasn't overly pacey, nor did he have a killer step, but he scored lots of trys because he read the space and inserted himself into the line at exactly the right spot, or he saw the crease when returning a kick, or... most importantly for him... he read the attackers and managed to take the exact pursuit line to make that tackle.

Leon McDonald is another example of this in action. On his own, not overly pacy or quick compared to some of his opponents, yet look at the countless people he has skinned and run around... because he has that vision/anticipation.

P.S. I hate Leon MacDonald... but I can admit that he is a very good fullback.

21. Ripper

Ripper Guest

Not being called Pisi is always a good start.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!