• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the best training for a Hooker?

Spuddy21

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
I play Hooker for Poole High School and I need a good training regime for lineouts and hooking because I usually play Blind Flanker for Lytchett Minster RFC. Any help please?

if you are talking about the throw into the line you always see ppl throwing at the posts but I find if you only have a couple of balls you want something that the ball is going to bounce off so you dont have to keep retreiving them.

At school in your breaks go into the gym and throw at the backboard of the basket ball net. On the throw in break it down into parts and concentrate on one point over and over before the next. When i was learning I thought to my self right how an I going to hold the ball, personal preference I supose, steve Thompson holds it with both hands towards the back of the ball, others use their strong hand at the back and the other at the front with a light grip only as a guide. Ibanez obviously only uses one hand (wouldnt recomend this!).

after sorting that out I started concentrating on bending at the hips and putting more of my body into the throw. Finaly the follow through is important, I like to excentuate point my hands where I want the ball to go to and stretching right through the whole of my body making sure that your head point down and I like to finish with my hands up high not down by my hips as I find that if my head falls or my hands finnish down there thats where the ball will go.

then once you have practiced with specific attention to one aspect them go on to putting it all together. I also always aim higher than I actualy want the ball to be.

Stand on street corners whenever you get the opportunity.

Strength training should consist of heavy weights with high sets low reps. Try focusing on lower body more and don't get stuck into bicep curls :/ stay sports specific i.e Squats. Deadlifts, Push press. Make sure you boost your calorie intake with high intensity training! Also Creatine is an amazing help with gaining size!

Creatine is well know to increase your size but it makes you retain water, use it carefully, you have to consciously increase the amount of fluid intake as you can become dehydrated and there are weeks when you have to give it a break.

Latest posts