• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the deal with Ruan Pienaar?

rugbywriter

Academy Player
I've been a bit upset by some of the recent posts I've read. Anyone who watched that France game will probably agree that Kirchner is nowhere near international quality, but now why are so many people saying that Ruan Pienaar must be fullback?

What is it about this guy that makes everyone demand that he be in the team? Never has a player been so over-rated. I just don't understand what people see in him.

I'm not saying he's completely useless, but some guys make out like he's the Jesus of rugby. Let's look at where we stand with Pienaar:

A while ago, in about 2006/07, lots of people were saying that he is better the Fourie du Preez. That got disproven very quickly.

People then started saying that he is deffinitely next-best to du Preez. Then came Jano Vermaak, Dewaldt Duvenhage, Rory Kockott and Sarel Pretorious. People who are not lying to themselves will agree that Pienaar is now not the second best scrumhalf in the country.

Then because Pienaar wasn't a good enough scrumhalf to make the team, they decided to try him at fly-half because for some reason, Pienaar just has to make the team. The Pienaar at fly-half saga was and still is an utter failure and there is no evidence that points to the contrary. Even in his hometown of Durban in that test against the B&I Lions, the crowd were chanting for Morne to replace him.

Since it had been proven that he's not a good enough scrum half or fly-half to make the Boks, everyone said to give him a go at fullback, because Pienaar just has to make the team. The game that PIenaar played fullback in last year's tri-nations was the only game in the tri-nations that the Boks lost. I'm not at all saying that it is because of him, but he did play very badly and didn't do anything to help save the game for the Boks, which is what so many people say he does.

Now that it is realised by most that Kirchner is not an international-standard fullback, the "put Pienaar at fullback" episode has started up again. Despite having Frans Steyn, Gio Aplon, Riaan Viljoen, Louis Ludik (when fit) at our disposal, people want to put Ruan Pienaar in there. Does Pienaar have the amazing boot or crash ball prowess like Frans Steyn? Does he have the sweet running skills of Viljoen or Aplon? Look at Viljoen's long-distance try against the Sharks in the Super14 (which ironically, Pienaar was one of the defenders who tried to tackle Viljoen but couldn't even get a hand on him) or Aplons tries against France. Would Pienaar ever in his life pull that off? Look at even Louis Ludik when fit. He hardly ever makes a mistake, has a pin-point accurate boot and tremendous speed. Pienaar is nowhere near our best or second best fullback.

Let's sum-up:

He's not our second best scrumhalf

He's not our second best flyhalf

He's not our second best fullback

Why oh why is it so important that he be in the team or on the bench? Guys like Sarel Pretorious and Dewaldt Duvenhage have to miss out despite constantly performing much better. The same thing goes for guys like Peter Grant, Frans Steyn, Gio Aplon (Although he'll probably be a wing mostly) etc. Come on guys, we've got better players. Let's just get over this obsession with this guy.

There are so many inaccuaracies with your post I am not even going to begin arguing.

One question, rugbywriter, are you a gloryhunter who switches in between the Bulls and Cheetahs?

There are so many inaccuaracies with your post I am not even going to begin arguing.

One question, rugbywriter, are you a gloryhunter who switches in between the Bulls and Cheetahs?

Wow, you actually read that wall of text?

You seem pretty upset today, need a hug? Pienaar is a quality player and has enough class to start at full-back for South Africa. Is your problem that he keeps on changing positions? If that is the case I would take up the matter with the coaches and not Pienaar himself. Also it could be possible to say that Pienaar is world-class because he can represent his country in three different positions.

i like peinarr signed for ulster :D as we are letting him play where he wants at scrum half he could play anywhere in the backs if he wanted but he doesnt seem to get any game time in the s14 or at international at scrum half
also at ulster he will be the primary goal kicker so when we return him to you he should be better

I thought he did a good job against Wales at 10. Ran the game.

Hell of a signing for Ulster, cannot wait to see him in the Magners League.

well with peinars goal kicking ulster could well be a side to be reckoned with never besides the rest of his game

Very immature response. If I'm so horribly off then why not put me in my place?

Very immature response. If I'm so horribly off then why not put me in my place?

Actually ill have the first bite of the cherry ....

When you say 'I'm not saying he's completely useless' you are actually contradicting yourself in the post. You do make out that he is pretty crap which to be honest is quite unfair and also does contradict yourself.

EDIT: 6,000 Post Also :D

Last edited:
Actually ill have the first bite of the cherry ....

When you say 'I'm not saying he's completely useless' you are actually contradicting yourself in the post. You do make out that he is pretty crap which to be honest is quite unfair and also does contradict yourself.

EDIT: 6,000 Post Also :D

I don't make out that he's pretty crap. I say that I think Sarel Pretorious and Deewaldt Duvenhage are better scrumhalves, that Peter Grant is a better fly-half and that Frans Steyn, Riaan Viljoen and Gio Aplon are better fullbacks. No one also seems to be arguing with the main focus of my post

I don't make out that he's pretty crap. I say that I think Sarel Pretorious and Deewaldt Duvenhage are better scrumhalves, that Peter Grant is a better fly-half and that Frans Steyn, Riaan Viljoen and Gio Aplon are better fullbacks. No one also seems to be arguing with the main focus of my post

I agree, but tactically it's good to have a sound player who can be scrum half, full back and fly half on the bench. Someone like him is invaluable in tactical terms.

I agree, but tactically it's good to have a sound player who can be scrum half, full back and fly half on the bench. Someone like him is invaluable in tactical terms.

But that's what I think is wrong. The best player per position should get an opportunity. So you feel that we have better scrumhalves, fly-halves and fullbacks but they musn't get a shot?

But that's what I think is wrong. The best player per position should get an opportunity. So you feel that we have better scrumhalves, fly-halves and fullbacks but they musn't get a shot?

You need utility players on the bench now a days. Playing just one position will not just get you into a side anymore without being outstanding. Every player has to play one or more positions in the modern game.

Pienaar takes up one bench space, a fly half fullback and scrumhalf take up 3. Personally I think it's better to give the best players a starting place, and put utility backs on the bench. Being subbed on in the last 10 isn't the way to develop players.

You need utility players on the bench now a days. Playing just one position will not just get you into a side anymore without being outstanding. Every player has to play one or more positions in the modern game.

I understand that. Thanks for talking sensibly unlike all these other Pienaar worshipers. But I still feel that while you may have a point with needing utility backs, we are wasting the fantastic depth we have. Now youngsters like the names are mentioned aren't getting a chance at international level just because this guy can play a couple of extra positions. Besides, this shouldn't be so important with SA, because our starting backline is already so versatile.

Pienaar takes up one bench space, a fly half fullback and scrumhalf take up 3. Personally I think it's better to give the best players a starting place, and put utility backs on the bench. Being subbed on in the last 10 isn't the way to develop players.

But not getting any game time is?

im not saying his goal kicking is fantastic but its better than ian humphreys (ulsters out half) also would it not benifit peinar and sa to have him playing one position
you pointed out that the mangament had played him all over the shop
so mabey letting him settle in one position we will see how good he is
i cant make any judgement on his international selection but i think he is a fantastic sigining for ulster considering the quality of our halfbacks

im not saying his goal kicking is fantastic but its better than ian humphreys (ulsters out half) also would it not benifit peinar and sa to have him playing one position
you pointed out that the mangament had played him all over the shop
so mabey letting him settle in one position we will see how good he is
i cant make any judgement on his international selection but i think he is a fantastic sigining for ulster considering the quality of our halfbacks

Seriously?Is Ian Humphreys missing a leg or something?

well not that bad just decides to kick well one in every three games
and is pretty much the only guy in are squad who goal kicks his brother david humphreys was immense so other out halfs and goal kickers left the province as they wernt getting any game time

whats his goal kicking stats like??? are offical announcement said 90% but fails to mention season competition or anything for all i know it oculd be one game

Last edited:

Latest posts