Wheelchair Rugby Club

DorsetDestroyer

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Montpellier
Afternoon all,

I'm currently setting up a Wheelchair Rugby Club in Dorset, called The Dorset Destroyers (Dorset's 1st Wheelchair Rugby Club) and I'm just coming on here to give it a quick plug and say Hello to you all.

It's very strange how I got into Rugby. Many years ago, my Father and Uncle used to do lots of things for the Saracens and I got made to go and play (Long story) (They were looking at setting up a School Boys or Under 18's Team at Bramley Rd/Chaseside) I was okay at Rugby, but I always wanted to be a cyclist (1979) and I was told that basically cycling isn't much of a Sport and that I should man up!!!

Luckily I got out of Rugby by breaking my leg(After a couple of weeks). This happens to me quite often and I've had both knee caps removed and not replaced. I've had 43 ops. on my legs and you just get on with it. I've also knackered my shoulders and hands and had ops. on them, so there is something wrong with my body, but no Surgeon knows what. Crap Body Syndrome sounds good :D:D:lol:

I digress. I got back into cycling as it was thought of as a gentle exercise and one that would not hurt me (Except in the rain at 50mph down a hill, when you fall off) :lol::lol:

By 2013, I had completely given up on Sports for the past 25 years. I am disabled and didn't want to be having to play soft gentle sports!!! Yuck!!!

I came across Wheelchair Basketball and fell in love with it. I play every week, but slowly I've been thinking to myself I want something a bit more aggressive, and I mentioned to my wife and friend that we should play Wheelchair Rugby, which I found out was too far away (Southampton at 40 miles or Plymouth at 120 miles) so I thought I'll set a Club up in Dorset myself.

So, we're fundraising at the moment and I'm applying for Paralympic Legacy money (Crazy 1,000 word answers required) Things like "Why do you want to set up a Club?" Me:- To play Wheelchair Rugby. OK, I need to do it in a 1,000 words Toooooooooooooooooooooo pppppppplllllllllaaayyyyyy.............:p:lol:

But in all seriousness I can't wait to play, as it's so aggressive and parts of the body can be broken, but then parts of my body break anyway, so why not do it anyway??

Life is far too short. A broken bone will heal, a life wasted won't!!

So, here I am 30+ years on enjoying Rugby (On my terms) and I've got a Happy Dad at 87!

I presume I cannot plug the stuff I have on e bay, but if you look you will find a Harlequins Signed Ball or Stranglers/Marillion/The Wurzels goodies.

Yes, The Wurzels are still going :lol::lol:

So, that's me. A lunatic at 49, who doesn't want to be be sitting at home bored at the weekends.

PS If you've got any spare old rugby balls that you don't want, we need some for publicity reasons.

Cheers

Nick Coombs

10414523_1409992919282839_1439712125320290465_n.jpg

Wow, I thought I'd had it rough with 2 knee ops.

Anyway, this whole thing sounds utterly mad, in the best possible sense! Best of luck with the team!

only just seen this, amazing! absoloutely all the best with setting up the team.

only just seen this, amazing! absoloutely all the best with setting up the team.

Thank you - I've just put in an application for £21,000 for our 1st piece of funding. We need quite a bit more, but best not to be too greedy and take it one step at a time.

It will be cracking to have this club up and running and we're aiming for Jan 2015.

Latest posts