• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

When to call for the ball as a fly half?

Jonny98

Academy Player
Hi guys, I've been playing 10 last couple of weeks and am just curious as to when is the right time to leave the ball with the forwards and when is the right time to call for it? Thanks

When you see space out wide or behind the defensive line is the perfect moment to call for it, or just tell your halfback to kick it himself if he's got a good boot and if he is in a good position, that'll save you some precious time. You can also launch some set play if the right conditions are gathered, so play with your head up and identify mismatches above all else

When you see a mismatch or when their pack is close to the ruck or what ever and you think you can overpower their backs with yours. If you see a wing or full back out of position for a kick and a good change to gain territory.

Hi guys, I've been playing 10 last couple of weeks and am just curious as to when is the right time to leave the ball with the forwards and when is the right time to call for it? Thanks
There isn't a right time.

Leave us forwards to play rugby, whilst you girls in the backs gel your hair and exchange make-up tips.

As said before when you see space out wide or in back and obv mismatches if you see your winger against a prop or what ever.

But also from a set piece like a line out you can pre call your 12 to do a crash ball then 2 fwd phases, then the scrum half gives the ball to the 10. The pre set call to get second and third phase to be the fwd pods taking in the as a pod for quick ball. Then out to you.

But also you need to play heads up rugby if you see your centres crash ball draws in players and creates space for instance then dont be scared to shout 'Flash'(what my team uses meaning backs want it now) or what ever your call is for that that everyone knows meaning back ball.

It's where the ability to read a game comes into play, as well as recognizing good ball vs slow ball.

From set pieces, all 15 on the pitch know what will happen as forwards are taught the moves, it means you can almost guarantee quick ball for second phase, especially if you keep it within the 10/12 channel. Managing a game of rugby from 10 is like playing chess, you have to play certain moves in order to create alternatives later in the game i.e: Attacking down 10/12 will draw defenders in narrower, then means more space in the second half out wide if they all start crabbing. Remember to listen to your 9 and 12, you want your 12 to be your second set of eyes out wide and even let him tell you what move he fancies.

You'll get the hang of it, try training in a highly pressurized environment, it'll help your decision making and game reading.

It depends where on the field you are as well. If you're in your own half you're either going to kick for touch in your own 22 or kick long if in your own half.

Anything around the half way line you're waiting for quick ball. It's up to the forwards to generate that. Everything the guys above have said is right but those situations will only come if your own forwards are winning their collisions. If they aren't, the defensive line will be set and you'll just end up kicking the ball away. Basically quick ball is key.

As a 10, what took me a while to learn was when is the right time to play off 9 and when to play off 10 in open play. What I found is that there isn't an answer, you've got to do both.

My advice would be play with your head up, look for space, follow the ball and communicate.

Latest posts