Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
As a Wasps Fan I feel we require

Some More Big Ball Carriers
An Experienced Hooker
Inside Centre

1. Matt Mullan (New Player Expecting Alot)
2. Tom Lindsay (Hopefully Replaced and used as an Impact Sub)
3. Phil Swainston ( Great Season last Year)
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Kearnan Myall (New Signing Hopefully will Replace Marco Wentzel as Lineout King)
6. Ashley Johnson (Add well needed pack)
7. James Haskell/Sam Jones
8. Nathan Hughes (Hopefully Be a Big Ball Carrier)
9. Joe Simpson
10. Joe Carlisle (prefer him than Goode as he plays more expansively)
11. Tom Varndell
12. Chris Bell (Needs Changing as doesn't offer Much)
13. Andrea Masi ( Sensational Last Year)
14. Christian Wade
15. Elliot Daly

Likely first XV next year...

1. Court
2. Best
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy/Henderson
6. Ferris/Henderson
7. Henry
8. Wilson

9. Pienaar
10. Jackson
11. Trimble
12. Olding/Marshall
13. Cave
14. Bowe
15. Payne

Rather difficult for us to improve on that and all dependent on how certain youngsters step up.

Hard to say with Sale as I imagine there's a few players to come.

My first choice would be:
1. Dickinson
2. Taylor
3. Lewis-Roberts
4. Holmes (/Gaskell/New line out lock)
5. Ostrikov
6. Braid
7. Seymour
8. Gaskell (/new 8)
9. Peel
10. MacLeod (on current form)
11. Addison
12. Tuitupou
13. Leota
14. Brady
15. Miller

Jones, Harrison, Thomas, Beaumont (/Holmes), Doyle, Cliff, Cipriani, Arscott

Recruitment needed in the pack - couple of locks couple of back rows and a scrummaging tighthead would plug the gaps.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

I'll leave the O's to duck/duncthedoodle, Blues to Cymro/Bluemoon etc. and the Dragons to Draggs (hint, a whole team bar 8). So I'll have a look at the Scarlets:

Likely first team:

01 Phil John/Rhodri Jones
02 Ken Owens
03 Samson Lee
04 George Earle
05 Johan Snyman
06 Aaron Shingler
07 John Barclay
08 Rob McCusker

09 Aled Davies/Rhodri Williams/Gareth Davies
10 Rhys Priestland
11 Liam Williams
12 Scott Williams
13 Jon Davies
14 Kristian Phillips
15 Gareth Owen

16 Emyr Phillips
17 Rhodri Jones/Phil John
18 Jacobie Adriannse
19 Sione Timani/Jake Ball
20 Josh Turnbull
21 Rhodri Williams/Aled Davies/Gareth Davies
22 Jordan Williams/Aled Thomas
23 Adam Warren/Gareth Maul

Whilst the Scarlets have improved their pack over recent season and the addition of Barclay should be another big improvement, they are still lacking at looshead, lock and 8. Rhodri Jones is a good prospect at looshead, but he's struggling to re-gain form after a bad injury. Phil John is pure meh, amazing he's still playing regional rugby tbh. Not totally convinced with the Scarlets locks, but Earle and Snyman seem to be forming an effective partnership, but I do still worry against the big European sides. McCusker simply isn't an 8, but he will play there. His control of the ball at the back of scrums is terrible, and his form has been pretty poor all season (pundits seem to like him as an 8 though). I'd prefer Kieran Murphy, but it's unlikely to happen.

In the backs, losing North is a massive blow imo. Losing Fenby compounds this. The Scarlets are apparently looking to sign someone, we'll have to wait and see what sort of quality. I'm fine with Liam Williams (even if many don't like him), but Kristian Phillips hasn't been able to make the step-up. Behind those two atm, were talking about Maul on the wing. Having Priestland return is a big boost, but losing Owen Williams leaves them a little short for backup. Aled Davies has been the main one to step-in this season, but I see nothing of value in him. Jordan Williams looks like a cracking prospect, so I'd prefer him. There's always Gareth Owen.

So in a perfect world I'd like to see the Scarlets strengthen at loosehead, second row, 8, and on the wing. Wing is the only place they will strengthen, which doesn't leave them in a terrible place, but still lacking the necessary power up front to compete in Europe (unless a few of the youngsters really develop quickly (Jones, Lee and Murphy).

Last edited:
Assuming Knoyle is joining and Tindall re-signs, the backline is pretty much sorted for next year. I would like to make some changes/additions, but not until next year.
In the pack, the backrow is a real area of strength/depth: Morgan, Kvesic, Savage, Qera, Kalamafoni, Hazell, Cox, Evans and a lot of players in the academy on the way. Satisfied with that lot.
Priorities for me are hooker, tighthead and second row, in that order. A front row tight carrier would be really helpful.

1. Wood
2. Edmonds
3. Knight
4. Savage
5. Hudson
6. Kalamafoni
7. Kvesic
8. Morgan
9. Robson
10. Burns
11. May
12. Twelvetrees
13. Trinder
14. Simpson-Daniel
15. Morgan

Dawidiuk/Britton, Murphy, Harden, Lokotui, Qera, Cowan, Mills/Sharples, Cook

As a Wasps Fan I feel we require

Some More Big Ball Carriers
An Experienced Hooker
Inside Centre

1. Matt Mullan (New Player Expecting Alot)
2. Tom Lindsay (Hopefully Replaced and used as an Impact Sub)
3. Phil Swainston ( Great Season last Year)
4. Joe Launchbury
5. Kearnan Myall (New Signing Hopefully will Replace Marco Wentzel as Lineout King)
6. Ashley Johnson (Add well needed pack)
7. James Haskell/Sam Jones
8. Nathan Hughes (Hopefully Be a Big Ball Carrier)
9. Joe Simpson
10. Joe Carlisle (prefer him than Goode as he plays more expansively)
11. Tom Varndell
12. Chris Bell (Needs Changing as doesn't offer Much)
13. Andrea Masi ( Sensational Last Year)
14. Christian Wade
15. Elliot Daly

I think you are massively underestimating Lindsay and Bell in your team to be honest. Lindsay has international potential if he can bring his set-piece work up to the same standard as his work in the loose, and the strong running of Bell is what has created a lot of the space for Wade and Varndell this season. He probably isn't ever going to be a world beater, but sometimes you need an honest grafter at 12 to make the hard yards so other players can shine.

I also think you may be expecting a little too much of Mullan straight away. He is still a young guy and I think he will need a little time to bed in before his potential really starts to show.

I'll give my thoughts on Leinster
We need to probably sign a good second row in the next year or so.
Then I think we'll need at least one new center with BOD, and D'arcy coming to their last seasons. We do have some players who can fill in there but I think a high quality to replacement soon. I think overall we're in good shape for next season though it's the season after we could face some problems.

Starting XV

1.Healy
2.Strauss
3.Ross
4.Cullen
5.Roux
6.McLaughlin
7.SOB
8.Heaslip
9.Redden/Boss/Cooney(hes really impressed me recently)
10.Madagin
11.Fitzgerald
12.D'ary
13.BOD
14.D.Kearny
15.R.Kearny

I think signing Sidehsow bob was a huge mistake we have a full back so unless they intend to play Rob on the wing I have no idea what the point of having him around is other then cover for international periods, which is good but he is direct replacement for Isa and can only play one position rahte then pretty much anywhere he is needed to.

I'll give my thoughts on Leinster
We need to probably sign a good second row in the next year or so.
Then I think we'll need at least one new center with BOD, and D'arcy coming to their last seasons. We do have some players who can fill in there but I think a high quality to replacement soon. I think overall we're in good shape for next season though it's the season after we could face some problems.

Starting XV

1.Healy
2.Strauss
3.Ross
4.Cullen
5.Roux
6.McLaughlin
7.SOB
8.Heaslip
9.Redden/Boss/Cooney(hes really impressed me recently)
10.Madagin
11.Fitzgerald
12.D'ary
13.BOD
14.D.Kearny
15.R.Kearny

I think signing Sidehsow bob was a huge mistake we have a full back so unless they intend to play Rob on the wing I have no idea what the point of having him around is other then cover for international periods, which is good but he is direct replacement for Isa and can only play one position rahte then pretty much anywhere he is needed to.

I'd say McFadden will start ahead of D. Kearney and it's unlikely Roux and Cullen will play much together.

What we need imo is for a lot of the young players to really stick their hands up and raise their game to a level we've only seen the odd time from some of them.

If Leinster's ambition is to be the top team in European club rugby, they're a tighthead prop, second row, scrum half and maybe an inside centre and winger short.

Top teams need two top tightheads who they can rotate. Mike Ross is a very good club prop but Mike Bent isn't. Martin Moore may be good enough.

Is Mike McCarthy and Leo Cullen/Devin Toner a frightening partnership?

Eoin Reddan and Isaac Boss are in their 30s and only have one year left on their contracts. I don't see them improving. Luke McGrath has talent and John Cooney can become a good backup but come the end of next season, I'd be hoping for a top class addition.

How'd I forget McCarthy?

I'd say if given the chance Moore will step up I'm just not sure if he will be given the chance.

If Leinster's ambition is to be the top team in European club rugby, they're a tighthead prop, second row, scrum half and maybe an inside centre and winger short.

Top teams need two top tightheads who they can rotate. Mike Ross is a very good club prop but Mike Bent isn't. Martin Moore may be good enough.

Is Mike McCarthy and Leo Cullen/Devin Toner a frightening partnership?

Eoin Reddan and Isaac Boss are in their 30s and only have one year left on their contracts. I don't see them improving. Luke McGrath has talent and John Cooney can become a good backup but come the end of next season, I'd be hoping for a top class addition.

I agree with much of that. Personally I would like to see Cooney overtake one of the two older guys next season. Reddan preferably, as I reckon Boss has the type of game that ages better. I think our 23 is good enough to compete at the very highest level, with exceptions in the second row and on the bench at tight head. Another back three player would be useful too, as we're a little tight there.

What's good is that the vast majority of the 23 is IQ. It should give us a lot of leeway to try and bring in a second row and wing from abroads.

What Leinster need to is for some young, high potential finge players to make a breakthrough season. Look at The other provinces. Munster have seen Zebo, POM and Kilcoyne all make their way into the starting team as key players in the last two seasons. Ulster have developed Marshall, Jackson and Henderson into H-Cup quality this season. Connacht have seen the rise of Marmion, McSharry and Henshaw is recent years. In comparison, Leinsters 1st IV has remained virtually impenetrable. Other than Sean O'Brien's and to a lesser extent McFadden's developed into the starting team, no other young Irish player has really made any claim in the long term. Leinster really need Moore and then Furlong to break into the squad, Cooney needs a big year aswell.

I'm relatively happy with the first XV, truth be told, but beyond that, it's a problem. Only two wingers in the entire squad and cover in the centres is pretty dire. Thankfully, we've produced enough players in the pack to have at least one man who can step in in any given position, but I'd like to see a winger/pacey 13 sign- Sionti Sionti would be a good, cheap signing, if he doesn't go to Connacht. The only real issue now is scrum half, where we've got three good players, one of is now coming towards the end of a horrible season, one has gained the majority of his experience on the wing, and the other is ***o Tebaldi. Not ideal, but to sign anyone else would seem a bit pointless, as I'd like to see Habberfield develop at 9. Joe Bearman also perhaps isn't the best we could possibly be looking for, but I think Morgan Allen'll really come through in the next 12 months and take the 8 shirt.

1. Ryan Bevington
2. Richard Hibbard
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones (c)
5. Ian Evans
6. Ryan Jones
7. Justin Tipuric
8. Joe Bearman

9. Tom Habberfield
10. Dan Biggar
11. Eli Walker
12. Ashley Beck
13. Andrew Bishop
14. Hanno Dirksen
15. Richard Fussell

16. Scott Baldwin
17. Duncan Jones
18. Aaron Jarvis
19. James King
20. Morgan Allen
21. Rhys Webb
22. Matthew Morgan
23. Jonathan Spratt

What Leinster need to is for some young, high potential finge players to make a breakthrough season. Look at The other provinces. Munster have seen Zebo, POM and Kilcoyne all make their way into the starting team as key players in the last two seasons. Ulster have developed Marshall, Jackson and Henderson into H-Cup quality this season. Connacht have seen the rise of Marmion, McSharry and Henshaw is recent years. In comparison, Leinsters 1st IV has remained virtually impenetrable. Other than Sean O'Brien's and to a lesser extent McFadden's developed into the starting team, no other young Irish player has really made any claim in the long term. Leinster really need Moore and then Furlong to break into the squad, Cooney needs a big year aswell.

I think your right here, Leinster had the young guys come through a number of years ago e.g Kearney, Fitzgerald, SOB and have been using them and not really needing to look for young squad/academy players but I feel the time when we do is coming soon, within the next season or two.

Latest posts