• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where were you when...?

S

St Helens RLFC

An often asked question, so where were you people when the following events happened? I expect there'll be a few "I wasn't born" answers, but I think there's a couple around here who were alive for them all...

JFK was shot?

England won the World Cup in 1966?

Man landed on the moon?

Elvis died?

John Lennon was shot?

Hillsborough?

Princess Diana died?

9/11?

London wins the 2012 Olympics?

7/7?

Michael Jackson died?

Hillsborough?
- Living in Cannock, cannot remember the day however

Princess Diana died?
- Sleeping at home in Stoke

9/11?
- At college in Northampton, remember coming home when Dad was watching sky news and saying "oh, so they've knocked them down then?" as the action replays were shown... Then seeing the plane hit.

-At work in Travis Perkins

7/7?
- As it was the following day, also at work in Travis Perkins

Michael Jackson died?
- At home calling somebody names on TRF

JFK was shot?[/b]

- Not born.

- Not born

Man landed on the moon?

- Not born

Elvis died?

- Not born

John Lennon was shot?

- Not born

Hillsborough?

- I was 3, so probably in a tree.

Princess Diana died?

- I remember my mom telling me while i was getting ready for school at home.

9/11?

In the bus on my way to school.

- Dunno. Didn't really care.

7/7?

- Also at home.

Michael Jackson died?

- I don't know where i was when he died. But when i heard, i was busy having sex. Then it rung out on the radio. I was like ye yeaaa YEAAAAAAAAAAH WHAT!?!?!? True story.

Hillsborough?

Going gaa gaa goo goo somewhere.

Princess Diana died?

Getting woken up at 6am by my Aunty living in America ringing the house about the news.

9/11?

In school. Didn't find out til the end of the day when a guy from the year above came out of a pub shouting 'WORLD WAR 3 HAS BEGUN!' 'INSURRECTION!' and the like.

In a pub in Neath.

7/7?

Making sure my then-girlfriend's brother, who commuted to London daily, hadn't died.

Michael Jackson died?

In my girlfriend's bed having sex with her.
NB: Jer1cho isn't my girlfriend.

JFK was shot?

- Not born.

- Not born

Man landed on the moon?

- Not born

Elvis died?

- Not born

John Lennon was shot?

- Not born

Hillsborough?

- In a womb

When the Berlin Wall went down?

- In a crib near the tele I imagine

Princess Diana died?

- Not sure....guessing by the date....in town buying school shoes or school books.

9/11?

- In school, came out ti the car because my dad was picking me and he ws all like 'shut up I'm listening to the radio' and I didn't understand the big kurfuffle untill I saw the TV when I got home.

- Ah, out with friends not giving a hoot.

7/7?

- At home, watching on tv.

Michael Jackson died?

- On TRF and someone told me on msn and I presumed it was all rrumours.

Hillsborough?

I was only 4 at the time so I have no memories of the day at all. Thankfully I suppose. I would have been sat at home with my mum watching the match. Dad was at the pub. I probably would have thought he was at the match, as he usually went. He didn't go on this occasion because he was saving up to take us on holiday. Thank God. How different life could have been for me. I got the lucky break. 96 others, and their families, didn't. :cry I go to the match every week with 2 people who survived the events that day and they hardly speak about it. A dad (who has MS and can't go anymore) a son and an uncle. The uncle was pulled into the top tier to avoid being crushed, the dad got broken ribs and the son got a twisted ankle and cracked ribs. The son and dad stayed together, and were looking around the morgue for the uncle when thankfully they bumped into him. He was doing the same for them. That's the most spine chilling thing I have ever heard.

Princess Diana died?

I was in Calais, and I had driven through that tunnel the day before she died. Absolutely freaky. It was the day after my birthday. Very weird experience, that. I remember the Liverpool vs. Newcastle game scheduled for 4pm kick off (in the days when only one game was played on a sunday) getting cancelled and me being gutted, as I was going straight from Calais to Anfield.

9/11?

I will never, ever forget this day. I was in college, 17 at the time. I was in a double ICT lesson, Tuesday afternoon. Before the whole internet crashed (and it did) I caught wind that a plane had crashed into the WTC through the BBC News website. It was the last time it worked for hours. I told the whole class and was allowed to go to a Geography class as they had a TV. I interrupted their lesson and asked if they could put the TV on. They did and a couple of minutes later the second plane hit. I never did go back to my ICT lesson...instead I just sat watching these horrific events unfold, at the Pentagon as well as in Pennsylvania (that plane was shot down in my mind) before getting on the bus home, telling the bus driver as he hadn't a clue, and then having to get myself up for going to Anfield to watch Liverpool vs. Boavista. The stupidest, most insensitive thing I have ever seen UEFA do. That match should have been cancelled. I wasn't up for it, the rest of the crowd weren't up for it, the players weren't up for it.... stupidity. That was one hell of a frightning day.

I'm honestly not sure. It's not something I'm too fussed about being perfectly honest. I THINK I was in work but I'm not sure.

7/7?

I was in work. Radio 1 was on and we were all glued to the BBC website. I rememeber Radio 1 first reported it as a fire in one of the tube stations and they had it under control, before the story developed and developed and it just became too much for the idiots at Radio 1, so we switched it to 5 Live and the true story unfolded that day. 7/7 isn't seen as horrific as it didn't unfold live on national television like 9/11, but it was every bit as scary. It was absolutely shocking how this minor story turned into a terrorist outrage, being pieced together bit by bit, minute by minute. I just remember overwhelming feelings of anger by the end of the day.

Michael Jackson died?

I was actually sat on this very computer watching Mitchell and Webb on IPlayer when my mate who works for The Times sent me a text: "MJ is dead, was dead when he arrived, suspected overdose on sleeping tablets." I went onto all the news websites and only Sky News had the balls to run with the story of him being dead. All the others were non-commital even though it was becoming clear he was dead. It was a sad day, the man is a musical genius, even if he was a barmpot. I watched a series of Bo'Selecta that night in his honour.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jul 22 2009, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Michael Jackson died?

- I don't know where i was when he died. But when i heard, i was busy having sex. Then it rung out on the radio. I was like ye yeaaa YEAAAAAAAAAAH WHAT!?!?!? True story.[/b]

You have sex with the radion on ? :huh:

Princess Diana died?

Sleeping? I have no memory of Diana dying so...

9/11?

In Scarborough. Bloody Yanks ruined my Holiday, again. :lol:

7/7?

At home

Michael Jackson died?

Sleeping.

Hillsborough?

Can't remember this day and someway's I am glad that I can't, although was probably with my granddad watching the game.

Princess Diana died?

I remember waking up and watching the news (was always an early riser) and then running to my parents room to tell them the news...

9/11?

I was in Dixons in Yeovil, was on a break from college, and I remember being stood there watching the TV's and seeing the second plane crash into the tower live, the place was deadly silent, and no one could believe what they had just seen... The store was packed and no one said anything to anyone...

In London, in Trafalgar Square, watching it unfold

7/7?

This was the scariest day I have ever had in my life, I was in London that day and decided not to get on the tube in the morning, and first heard about what had happened when a radio in the shop mentioned it, and the fear of terror struck everyone, and people started to look at anyone carrying bag with a second glance... a rather weird feeling, I was due to be travelling home that day and knew from the second I heard I wouldn't be getting out of the city and the only thing I knew I had to do was get in touch with my parents to let them know I was OK, but by that time London was in meltdown... I ended up getting a taxi to take me to Fleet Services, it cost me just under £200 but it was the best £200 I have ever spent, I also think the taxi driver was glad to get out of the city... Worst Day ever for me...

Michael Jackson died?

Laid in bed, checking facebook, before I knew it I was searching the web and the news channels to find out whether it was true, before it was confirmed and so I started to listen to some classic MJ before I went to bed.

Elvis died?
Vague memory of this. In the kitchen of our new house at breakfast. My mother was sobbing over the toast, and I was thinking What's Elvis? The toast turned out soggy. Unacceptable. I made her do it again.

John Lennon was shot?
In a prefect's room at boarding school, drinking fanta while my new friend with the guitar explained who John Lennon was and why he was so important. I had just come up from the country and knew nothing of the fancy ways of the world.

Hillsborough?
In someone's bedsit in a dodgy part of Dublin, trying to seal the deal on one of those chunky stereo systems with a bank of needle indicators. Sort of place that's above a bowling alley, and beneath another bowling alley.

Princess Diana died?
Sitting on the throne. Had a hangover. Sunday morning?

9/11?
Walking down Quay St in Galway. Passed the door of the Quays pub and noticed lots of people inside straining their necks to look up at the TV. Went in out of curiosity and saw one twin tower standing. "What happened to the other one?" "They knocked it." "Holy f***ing ****!" There was a weepy American girl at the bar saying, "Oh my God, oh my God!" I told her about the telephone exchange up the street for cheapo international calls, and she said her boyfriend was already there trying to ring home. Then someone said, "Get her a brandy!" But nobody did!

London won the 2012 Olympics? Well done! I'll remember that when it happens.

7/7?
Dunno. But my Pakistani sister in law was veeery upset.

Michael Jackson died?

T'intertubes, like everyone else.

Here's another one - When Lehman Brothers collapsed?

No, I don't remember either, but it's probably as significant as the fall of the Berlin Wall!

Elvis died?
Not born

John Lennon was shot?
Not born

Hillsborough?
I was 2, so probably playing with my own poo somewhere.

Princess Diana died?
I was a kid so I had no idea who she was and didn't care at all. I just hoped she hadn't damaged the pont de l'Alma too much. Then they said she was a nice lady and I was sad for like two whole minutes.

9/11?
Coming back from school. My mom was yelling "the third world war! the third world war!". At first I thought it was cool because a stupid journalist on tv said everybody had had time to evacuate the building. Then when they started showing the guys jumping off their windows <strike>I thought it was even cooler</strike> I realized how f***ed up the situation was.

London cheated like ******** to win the 2012 Olympics?
Busy having sex with an English girl who was visiting Paris at that time. Of all her fat friends, she was the less fat. Name was Beth i think

7/7?
With my family making a lot of stupidly tense phonecalls to all our relatives in London.

Michael Jackson died?
Here in Argentina, having a drink at home with a french friend visiting, and a cool argentinian girl with whom i now regularly sleep.

i wasn't born for a few of the first ones, I can't really remember how I felt for some of the others, but these are the three I have most vivid memories of

Princess Diana died? woke up on a cold spring morning to go to preseason cricket training, and was in shock to see it on TV

9/11? woke up to be told that terrorists were bombing new york before anyone knew there were planes involved. i remember seeing the second plane go into the second tower on tv and i was so shocked to see these people's grief that i refused to watch TV, and everyone at work had a go at me calling me disrespectful.. still don't understand why they did that?

Michael Jackson died? woke up at my hotel in phuket, flicked through the channels on the TV and the news was on. told my wife she wouldn't believe it but they are reporting that michael jackson was dead. at first i thought it was some sort of hoax.

JFK was shot?
Not born

Not born

Man landed on the moon?
Still to be proven

Elvis died?
Not born

John Lennon was shot?
Not born

Hillsborough?
Don't know what it is

Princess Diana died?
I think I was probably watching Barney And Friends

9/11?
In Australia bout to go to work thinking it was a movie on tv at the time

Umm not really sure

7/7?
Would of been at home watching the news

Michael Jackson died?
Is he dead or has he faked it?

JFK was shot?
Man landed on the moon?
Elvis died?
John Lennon was shot?
Hillsborough?
- All not born

Princess Diana died?
- I was getting ready with my brothers to go to minis rugby which started at 8. My mum was late getting ready so we put the TV on and there it was.

9/11?
- Waiting for the bus home from school and my brother has a radio on his mobile said Chris Moyles wasn't his usual funny self. Then when the news came on he told us all the news. I didn't even know what the World Trade Centre was when told, but when I got home I instantly recognised it on TV from a holiday we had there.

- Not a clue! Can remember hearing about it but now when. Looking forward to going there though!

7/7?
- Don't remember at all. Probably asleep when it happened but it would have been the summer holidays so just at home or with mates.

Michael Jackson died?
- In the pub on a night out with my mates. My friend came round the corner saying "My girlfriend has just text me, Michael Jackson is dead!", to which I replied "Bullshit" because he is known for his bending of the truth. Then a few more people were saying it. Then the pub turned off the music and put Sky News on the TVs which read the banner "Michael Jackson is Dead".

The only ones i can remember

9/11?
Just got home from school in Hong Kong and my parents were sat round the TV and i came in shouting about my day. They told me to shut up and we spent about 4 hours just staring at the TV. Everyone was scared shitless to be honest.

7/7?
On holiday in Bali. We were out for a meal and my mum got a text from her best friend saying that London tube stations had been attacked by terrorists. My sister who hadn't come was commuting into London that day and i remember us all being extremely worried. We spent the next hour running around the centre of the city desperately trying to find a TV. We got to a small bar where there must have been about another 50 British tourists who were listening to Ken Livingstone making a speech.

Michael Jackson died?
Turned on the radio just before going to bed to hear Richard Bacon on 5 live saying how there were unconfirmed reports that MJ had died of a heart attack. Listened the whole night through as gradually more and more sources confirmed it. Eventually got up and grabbed my ipod and just listened to some of his music.

Only one of real significance to me was 9/11. Was staying in my girlfriends house (now wife). She was in work I was sitting around watching the news and listening to the American newscasters freak out about smoke etc while the failed to realise that the building had collapsed. I was talking to her at the time the first tower went down and remember saying that its gone. I'm usually oblivious to the news but that was pretty scary stuff.

I also remember the wall coming down without really understanding how important it was. I was 15-16 at the time and it had nothing to do with girls or football so it was a sidebar really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jul 22 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
An often asked question, so where were you people when the following events happened? I expect there'll be a few "I wasn't born" answers, but I think there's a couple around here who were alive for them all...

JFK was shot?- Not Born

England won the World Cup in 1966?- Not Born

Man landed on the moon?- Not Born

Elvis died?- Not Born

John Lennon was shot?- Not Born

Hillsborough?- Not Born

Princess Diana died?- I was 7 or 8 came downstairs on the Sunday morning to watch Inspector Gadget to find rolling news. Wasn't to happy if I rememebr :lol:

9/11? At school in an Art lesson

London wins the 2012 Olympics? Home preparing to go and play cricket

7/7? Same as olympics.

Michael Jackson died?- Home drinking cider. :D
[/b]

JFK was shot?
not alive

not alive...I hear about it often enough

Man landed on the moon?

not alive

Elvis died?

not alive

John Lennon was shot?

not alive

Hillsborough?

I was 1 year old.

Princess Diana died?

Playing Sega Megadrive and then not playing Sega Megadrive because my Mum wanted to watch on TV. I didn't care.

9/11?

Playing rugby for my school (first and only time because we didn't really have a team).

Read online

7/7?

Working with my uncle, an old lady shouted out of her window.

Michael Jackson died?

On the internet...I continue not to give a f***.

JFK was shot?Not born

England won the World Cup in 1966?Not born

Man landed on the moon?Not born

Elvis died?Not born

John Lennon was shot?Not born

Hillsborough?Not born

Princess Diana died?Watching GMTV

9/11? at Primary School, incredible scenes on the tele when i came home

London wins the 2012 Olympics? i was in Cyprus just remember Seb Co's cheesy grin all over the tv and paper when i got home..

7/7?On holiday in Italia

Michael Jackson died?

I was on msn..

but he lives..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Am67-Sew7k

Latest posts