• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which 4 teams are leaving?

Q

QLD

I heard the teams are being cut from 14 to 10. Which 4 teams are getting the boot?

What's the competition under the NPC where these teams will play?

The NZRU haven't said officially which teams are being dropped, but I would imagine Counties, Northland, Manuwatu and Tasman are the most likely four.

They will supposedly play in a new competition, with some sort of promotion/relegation system giving them a chance at returning to the top level. I don't know much about the competition apart from that, but the problem with it is that many of their players wont be content with playing in a lower level competition, and will probably move elsewhere.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sneaki @ Oct 18 2009, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The NZRU haven't said officially which teams are being dropped, but I would imagine Counties, Northland, Manuwatu and Tasman are the most likely four.

They will supposedly play in a new competition, with some sort of promotion/relegation system giving them a chance at returning to the top level. I don't know much about the competition apart from that, but the problem with it is that many of their players wont be content with playing in a lower level competition, and will probably move elsewhere.[/b]

Seems the most likely candidates, would imagine Tasman would split back into Nelson Bays and Marlborough if given the chance. Two heartland teams are to be promoted into the new First Division, though one of them, Wanganui, has expressed concerns over the new comp's actual merit. Demotion is pretty much the kiss of death for any team in terms of finance and player retention as all the former division two sides currently playing in the ANZC can atest to.

Definately Counties because they've been playing poorly for a few seasons now but can't really be too sure about the others you just never know with the NZRFU they do stupid things so whatever happens is bound to be a total shock to everyone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Oct 20 2009, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Definately Counties because they've been playing poorly for a few seasons now but can't really be too sure about the others you just never know with the NZRFU they do stupid things so whatever happens is bound to be a total shock to everyone.[/b]
You can probably add Northland on to the list of probably relegated too.

Actually yeah I'd have to go with Sneaki's four he picked because the Steelers and Taniwha haven't been doing to well and the Turbos and Mako's are the 2 newest editions to the 1st division so most likely to get the chop.

Still wish it wasn't happening because it cuts out a whole lot of fans and they'll have no team to cheer for now unless they like their team feeding the top tier teams.

What's the motivation for cutting 4 teams? Is it to shorten the competition? If so does that mean that it will be less likely to conflict with events like the Autumn Internations so that teams can have their best players for the end of the competition?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Oct 26 2009, 01:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What's the motivation for cutting 4 teams?[/b]

Apologies as I dont have all the knowledge & intricasies of the topic, but it all boils down to saving costs.

Like everything nowdays, it's all got to do with the money.

Just as long as we get the video ref back for the whole competition next year...

If Hawkes Bay had missed out because of that lost point against Canterbury they would've found Steve Tew's corpse floating in a ditch.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Oct 26 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Just as long as we get the video ref back for the whole competition next year...

If Hawkes Bay had missed out because of that lost point against Canterbury they would've found Steve Tew's corpse floating in a ditch.[/b]
Yeah there were a few times the TMO was needed like when Adam Thompson got a try that would of won them the game early in the season can't remember who against but it was a try. The Fa'atonu Fili try that clearly was but never got awarded because the refs were too slow and couldn't make it to the ingoal to see it and also the Fa'atonu Fili try that wasn't but got awarded anyway.

I actually enjoy no video ref. its put a damper on some would be great victories (such as HB v cant) but it improves the speed of the game, and i dont know.... makes it feel alot more grass roots.

anyway back to topic.
I think over the last couple of weeks has shown us that they cant cut it down by 4 teams. its just impossible. and its going to be hard picking some. tasman is as good as gone, and as jethro said, they will split back to their 2 traditonal rival teams. then counties have no longer got an excuse to be in the top division, they simply havent played well enough to stay up.

so that leaves us with two teams to get the chomp. if your looking at the final standings North harbor are i think second to last. northland were very low also, and then you have the turbos. and i think that all three teams are going to stay. theres too much money in north harbour, and they just had a bad season.

then manawatu. there is no way in hell you can tell me that the public support for the turbos, and there last 2,3 or 4 games means that they will still get dropped. especially there last game of the season. they put on so many points and about a million tries that they simply cant be dropped. there to exciting and if they arnt financially viable, they will just have to be a team that plays in the red.

northland is the other team thats in the hat. although there isnt much public support for the taniwhas comared to the turbos, they have pushed every team they have played in the last 1/4 of the season, including teams like canturbury and waikato. although they are cellar dwellars for the last like 10years or so, they are competative at a game to game level.

also one thing that people also forget is, im led to belive that the NZRU has got some teams using their stadium as a home base come the rugby world cup. they cant just drop a team and expect to still use their stadium. they need to invest in the area if they put international teams there. which is why northlands staying up too.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Oct 26 2009, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What's the motivation for cutting 4 teams? Is it to shorten the competition? If so does that mean that it will be less likely to conflict with events like the Autumn Internations so that teams can have their best players for the end of the competition?[/b]

Basically they want to fit the ANZC in around the failing S15 (which apparently makes perfect sense to Tewbacca). So four kiwi teams get demoted to allow an additional aussie team in a competition with flagging interest. Of course the cynical are pointing out the G9 are rapidly catching the S14 franchises in results, which clearly can not be allowed to happen. A number of people have come up with revised competition concepts that would allow the retention of the 14 team ANZC whiles accomodating the white elephant S15.

In the wash up Tew and co are going to alienate a huge percentage of kiwi fans and push the game back a decade. If I was a supporter of one of the teams being demoted I would send the NZRU my provincial jersey with a photo of myself in a Warrior (NRL) top. And there I was thinkng the NZRU's mandate was to promote rugby to the whole country, not just the S14 bases.

Of interest Hawke's Bay have joined the list of Provinces wanting the 14 team competiton retained. And before Tew throws up the May meeting, that didn't apparently pan out quite how he claims, the NZRU have already changed the rules from then, so no binding agreement. Expect some court action with I think the majority of kiwis not supporting the Tew junta.

Also imagine what'll happen if the four unions in question pool their legal resources. They'll be able to drag it out and put an injunction on the whole comp until it's sorted.

Tewbacca back pedaling like a politician caught lying at the moment. Apparently it's now the NZRU decision to make, not quite the certainty he was on about a month ago. Expect business as usual in 2010 would be my call.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Nov 20 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Tewbacca back pedaling like a politician caught lying at the moment. Apparently it's now the NZRU decision to make, not quite the certainty he was on about a month ago. Expect business as usual in 2010 would be my call.[/b]
If he does go back please don't criticize him for it. You would have got what you wanted.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Nov 20 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Nov 20 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tewbacca back pedaling like a politician caught lying at the moment. Apparently it's now the NZRU decision to make, not quite the certainty he was on about a month ago. Expect business as usual in 2010 would be my call.[/b]
If he does go back please don't criticize him for it. You would have got what you wanted.
[/b][/quote]

It's great you said please, but really if he only does it with a gun to his head, it doesn't mean he's any different to the visionary he is right now.

Only an idiot will cut the comp to ten.

I actually enjoyed some of the games played this year and most were played by teams in the firing line.

Will only be another shot in the foot if they go the cull route.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Nov 21 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

I actually enjoyed some of the games played this year and most were played by teams in the firing line.

Will only be another shot in the foot if they go the cull route.[/b]

Yep, and I can't see myself cuddling up to forgiving a guy who wanted to shag New Zealands premier competition for a debt that was reducing. I'm not going to praise him for having his arm twisted into agreeing with a massive majority.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 20 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Nov 21 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, and I can't see myself cuddling up to forgiving a guy who wanted to shag New Zealands premier competition for a debt that was reducing. I'm not going to praise him for having his arm twisted into agreeing with a massive majority.
[/b][/quote]

Exactly so. The NZRU seem to have forgotten they are representing the interests of New Zealand rugby, not SANZAR. This will be the second time Tewbacca and Co have got slapped down over this issue, what part of "we want the 14th team competition retained" do they simply not get? Tew should resign immediately and take up a role with the ARU who he has pretty much been representing through the past two years.

In simple terms, the NZRU decided on the 14th team competition, the Provinces lifted their infrastructure, training camps, and finances to meet the criteria the NZRU come up with, why should the G9 be held to account for issues in a couple of S14 franchises?

The major issue I am having is with teams like Counties who have to get sponsorship in the face of NZRU meanderings.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Nov 24 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 20 2009, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Radman @ Nov 21 2009, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Exactly so. The NZRU seem to have forgotten they are representing the interests of New Zealand rugby, not SANZAR. This will be the second time Tewbacca and Co have got slapped down over this issue, what part of "we want the 14th team competition retained" do they simply not get? Tew should resign immediately and take up a role with the ARU who he has pretty much been representing through the past two years.

In simple terms, the NZRU decided on the 14th team competition, the Provinces lifted their infrastructure, training camps, and finances to meet the criteria the NZRU come up with, why should the G9 be held to account for issues in a couple of S14 franchises?

The major issue I am having is with teams like Counties who have to get sponsorship in the face of NZRU meanderings.

[/b][/quote]

First point - hell yeah, he's been catering to O'Neil's every whim

Second point - And it's made the whole comp so damn good this year! the players that has come through the teams have been so good for NZ rugby. And its good to have most players stay at their home provinces. If they cut it down to 10 a lot of players will have to move out of their home provinces. Boo to that i'd say.

Latest posts