• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which new faces do you wanna see during the European tour for the All Blacks?

Lauaki is a bit overwieght at the moment and it shows in his fitness. He has lost that sharp dynamism he used to have a few years back. He used to be very quick but now he is sluggish and is no match for Kankowski (who is now what Lauaki used to be). Lauaki continues trying to carry the ball in one hand like he is the athlete of a few years back...but he isn't....so he knocks it on a lot and loses it in the tackle and all sorts.

Lauaki also has defensive problems and is known to miss some very easy tackles as he won't commit fully to chasing down a guy and diving at him. He has been stepped quite a few times and made to look ordinary.

He has major issues at the moment trying to get to a ruck quickly and is often one step behind the play.

There are many times when Lauaki takes the wrong option and will not pass.....this is because he still thinks he is the athlete he was 2 years ago when he could score tries by himself.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 6 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
@ allyoop: If anyone is going to be around for the next World Cup, it's going to be Conrad Smith. He's said in interviews that he's not interested in money and just wants to play for the All Blacks. From what I can tell he's completely committed to the All Blacks, and you can see how passionate he is about the team when playing for them.[/b]

Yeah... a lot of AB's said that unfortunately and still gapped lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 6 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
@ allyoop: If anyone is going to be around for the next World Cup, it's going to be Conrad Smith. He's said in interviews that he's not interested in money and just wants to play for the All Blacks. From what I can tell he's completely committed to the All Blacks, and you can see how passionate he is about the team when playing for them.[/b]

Hm... didnt know that! Well I still stand by Kahui because I'm passionate about young players! Be gone ye old men! :p ;)

A lot of players have said that when stuff has been in the papers about them leaving, and then buggered off. I think that's the difference. ;)

I like Kahui, but I think he needs someone to partner up with in the midfield, and it's not Nonu. Nonu and Smith play their best when they're together.

Stephen Brett and Kahui would be an interesting combo and will hopefully still be around in the future.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 8 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A lot of players have said that when stuff has been in the papers about them leaving, and then buggered off. I think that's the difference. ;)

I like Kahui, but I think he needs someone to partner up with in the midfield, and it's not Nonu. Nonu and Smith play their best when they're together.

Stephen Brett and Kahui would be an interesting combo and will hopefully still be around in the future.[/b]

I reckon Toeava and Kahui would be an exciting combo. Or Kahui and Tuitavake.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (allyoop @ Oct 8 2008, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Oct 8 2008, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephen Brett and Kahui would be an interesting combo and will hopefully still be around in the future.[/b]

I reckon Toeava and Kahui would be an exciting combo. Or Kahui and Tuitavake.
[/b][/quote]

I second Toeava and Kahui.

Both can interchange between positions and Toeava has abit of experience at first five now but has also bulked up a fair bit.

I don't know where I'd like to see Toeava at the moment, he's been playing well in pretty much every position he's been in this year. I just wish the selectors hadn't rushed him like they did, because he's now showing what a great player he is.

im thinking that there has to be elliot and possibly guilford from hawkes bay. elliot is a monster in open play, and reminisent of a no.8 - more so than mealamu but i think mealamu will be in the 22 in most games, swapping with hore and elliot, for experiance. also finally there is some hope for wing outside of sivivatu. he has to be dropped for guilford, gear, wulf, jane, smith.... but for hawkes bay fans, its too early to be throwing names like dagg or shoemark who have been very impressing.

Yeah I saw Hawkes'Bay vs Waikato yesterday, Hika Elliott, Guildford and Shoemark standout players for the team. And hiw bad was Lauaki. Every time he got the ball a turn-over happened. He is so easy to read for the defense: he never passes the ball, especially if ther's an overlap. What a twat. Should play league with his brother.

Also I've noticed a young Saffa playing for Hawke's Bay, the first of a long serie to come ?

yeah hes proberbly better suited for league. i dont think the amount of turnovers was solely lauaki. HB had extremely good defence and turnovers in the 1st half particually. it was cornic how good it was actually.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Oct 13 2008, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah I saw Hawkes'Bay vs Waikato yesterday, Hika Elliott, Guildford and Shoemark standout players for the team. And hiw bad was Lauaki. Every time he got the ball a turn-over happened. He is so easy to read for the defense: he never passes the ball, especially if ther's an overlap. What a twat. Should play league with his brother.[/b]

I know, it's ridiculous isn't it? He has the size and skill to be effective but he just lumbers and never seems to give a ****, the expression on his face just oozes disinterest. He could be so much better, he's just a lazy baffoon.

I want to see Elliott, Bateman and Hosea Gear all make it. Play Bateman against Scotland and see how he goes at 12 and put him on the bench for the Welsh game I say. He has a better temperament than Toeava so I reckon he'll cope with being a "bolter" much better than Ice did. Trust me, Bateman is the future no. 12 for the All Blacks.

Bateman wouldn't really be a 'bolter' as such considering at least one out of him, Brett, Stanley is a certainty to be picked.

People throw the word 'bolter' around to much. It's only meant to be used for players who are unexpected to get in. Like how no one would have thought Eaton and Toeava would have made it in 05.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 14 2008, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bateman wouldn't really be a 'bolter' as such considering at least one out of him, Brett, Stanley is a certainty to be picked.

People throw the word 'bolter' around to much. It's only meant to be used for players who are unexpected to get in. Like how no one would have thought Eaton and Toeava would have made it in 05.[/b]

I dislike the term also, just couldn't think of any other word to describe it. Would people not be surprised if Bateman made the team?

Nah, I mean, as I said, there will definitely need to be another 12 or two going to UK along with Nonu. None of them have really truely stood out, but many have played fairly well. To be honest, it's hard to find a bolter nowdays as most of the guys with a drop of talent will be picked (a bit harsh maybe). The only possible bolter I can see will be Willison (WAI), Haywood? (TAR) and maybe someone like Lynn (WAI). It's not really a case anymore of having bolters, much more, who to pick out of the guys who have shown promise.

Sorry to be the one to tell you guys but there have been some awful suggestions on this thread

Callum Bruce - WTF!!! Average at best, cant even find a permanent jumper has not excelled in anz cup, never shown anything worth looking twice in super 14, rubbish for the maoris and has been given a mention for the ABS!!!...NO!!!
"David Smith because we need someone with acceleration like his to match up against Shane Williams Speedy Gonzalez type running" - No we don't. Why should we put a little winger on another little winger when we've got guys like Hosea Gear who can man handle Williams on defence and run over the top of him on attack...i see no reason why we should conform and leave someone else who deserves to be in the squad behind to prepare for a welsh winger who wouldn't even make the ABs
Dwayne Sweeney - WTF!!! see Callum Bruce^^^
Jason McDonald - You're taking the ****...Keven Mealamu, Andrew Hore, Corey Flynn, Hika Elliot, Dane Coles...he doesn't even register in my top 5 and i see no reason why he should get in ahead of one of the 5 listed above.
Lachie Munro - Confidence player - good kicking game when on but has no where near shown enough to get a look in, not even sure if he's worthy of a super 14 contract...maybe for otago...
Stephen Brett - Quality player but hasn't played enough this year to claim a spot for mine...maybe if he has a good showing in the S14
Chris Smylie - Are you kidding...hasn't done a thing in 2 years, wouldn't register in my top 5
Jayden Hayward - Great prospect, killed ma'ascara nonu on the weekend
Rudi Wulf - didn't do enough with his chance for mine, better wingers around, would like to see masaga take his place
Willison - Hasn't done nearly enough to warrant a spot
Lynn - No...

You can't just chuck names about because they've made a few nice runs during the year and you're extremely bias. A lot of these guys have been average at best and would see drastically lower results in the s14.
We're talking about the top 36 players in the greatest rugby nation on the planet who are gonna take on the opposition that europe can provide.
Let's not forget we're talking about the All Blacks here.....

i'm sure this squad is going to come under a lot of scrutiny by those whose suggestions i've criticised but i dont care :)

Forwards
Tony Woodcock
Neemia Tialata
Jamie MacKintosh
John Afoa
Keven Mealamu
Andrew Hore
Ali Williams
Brad Thorn
Ross Filipo
Liam Messam
Richie McCaw ©
Rodney So'oialo
Adam Thomson

Backs
Jimmy Cowan
Piri Weepu
Alby Mathewson
Dan Carter
Stephen Donald
Hosea Gear
Sitiveni Sivivatu
Joe Rokocoko
Ma'a Nonu
Richard Kahui
Conrad Smith
Cory Jane
Mils Muliaina

Honourable mention

Hika Elliot
Jerome Kaino
Anthony Boric
Anthony Tuitavake
Kieran Read

The point of this thread was players who people would like to see go on the tour (whether realistic or not was, I thought, beside the point), in which case it doesn't matter whether or not it's likely to happen, as the topic is purely based on individual's opinions. As you've implied, you're entitled to your own, but slamming other people's is a bit out of line imo.

I think the only thing I'd change is I'd have Thomas 'The Tank Engine' Waldrom in for Liam Messam and I'd put someone else in for Nonu because I just don't like him anymore he's had his chances with me and his defence is just way too crap for the All Blacks. I'd even go as far as putting either Tui'pulotu or Tarms in there just so Nonu doesn't get in.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leothelion @ Oct 16 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sorry to be the one to tell you guys but there have been some awful suggestions on this thread

Callum Bruce - WTF!!! Average at best, cant even find a permanent jumper has not excelled in anz cup, never shown anything worth looking twice in super 14, rubbish for the maoris and has been given a mention for the ABS!!!...NO!!!
"David Smith because we need someone with acceleration like his to match up against Shane Williams Speedy Gonzalez type running" - No we don't. Why should we put a little winger on another little winger when we've got guys like Hosea Gear who can man handle Williams on defence and run over the top of him on attack...i see no reason why we should conform and leave someone else who deserves to be in the squad behind to prepare for a welsh winger who wouldn't even make the ABs
Jason McDonald - You're taking the ****...Keven Mealamu, Andrew Hore, Corey Flynn, Hika Elliot, Dane Coles...he doesn't even register in my top 5 and i see no reason why he should get in ahead of one of the 5 listed above.
Lachie Munro - Confidence player - good kicking game when on but has no where near shown enough to get a look in, not even sure if he's worthy of a super 14 contract...maybe for otago...
Stephen Brett - Quality player but hasn't played enough this year to claim a spot for mine...maybe if he has a good showing in the S14
Chris Smylie - Are you kidding...hasn't done a thing in 2 years, wouldn't register in my top 5
Rudi Wulf - didn't do enough with his chance for mine, better wingers around, would like to see masaga take his place
Lynn - No...

You can't just chuck names about because they've made a few nice runs during the year and you're extremely bias. A lot of these guys have been average at best and would see drastically lower results in the s14.
We're talking about the top 36 players in the greatest rugby nation on the planet who are gonna take on the opposition that europe can provide.

i'm sure this squad is going to come under a lot of scrutiny by those whose suggestions i've criticised but i dont care :)

Forwards
Tony Woodcock
Neemia Tialata
Jamie MacKintosh
John Afoa
Keven Mealamu
Andrew Hore
Ali Williams
Brad Thorn
Ross Filipo
Liam Messam
Richie McCaw ©
Rodney So'oialo
Adam Thomson

Backs
Jimmy Cowan
Piri Weepu
Alby Mathewson
Dan Carter
Stephen Donald
Hosea Gear
Sitiveni Sivivatu
Joe Rokocoko
Ma'a Nonu
Richard Kahui
Conrad Smith
Cory Jane
Mils Muliaina

Honourable mention

Hika Elliot
Jerome Kaino
Anthony Boric
Anthony Tuitavake
Kieran Read[/b]

Congratulations, the whole point of this thread has gone *swoosh* right over your head.

Say it with me now, "Which new faces do you wanna see during the European tour for the All Blacks".
Now, does everyone out there understand what an opinion is? It's a view of ours. Some of us think that those listed have potential, and may have seen things that you haven't.

As fun as it is to come out guns 'a' blazing, if does sometimes pay off to read the topic ***le. It is, afterall, the first thing you should see.

Oh, and by the way, 26 is in no way equal to 35/6. You've basically posted the 3 Nations squad minus Lauaki, plus Filipo, Gear, Jane and Mathewson . Well done, great predictions. The only players in that squad I can't see going 100% are those that will be new to he squad, everyone else is pretty much (as you'd imagine) a certainty.

Hosea Gear, Cory Jane, Piri Weepu as a 1st V cover as well?!!

oh and
Thrushy!!!!

Go Welly Lions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ChiefsFan @ Oct 16 2008, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leothelion @ Oct 16 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lynn - No...

Forwards
Tony Woodcock
Neemia Tialata
Jamie MacKintosh
John Afoa
Keven Mealamu
Andrew Hore
Ali Williams
Brad Thorn
Ross Filipo
Liam Messam
Richie McCaw ©
Rodney So'oialo
Adam Thomson

Backs
Jimmy Cowan
Piri Weepu
Alby Mathewson
Dan Carter
Stephen Donald
Hosea Gear
Sitiveni Sivivatu
Joe Rokocoko
Ma'a Nonu
Richard Kahui
Conrad Smith
Cory Jane
Mils Muliaina

Honourable mention

Hika Elliot
Jerome Kaino
Anthony Boric
Anthony Tuitavake
Kieran Read[/b]

Congratulations, the whole point of this thread has gone *swoosh* right over your head.

Say it with me now, "Which new faces do you wanna see during the European tour for the All Blacks".
Now, does everyone out there understand what an opinion is? It's a view of ours. Some of us think that those listed have potential, and may have seen things that you haven't.

As fun as it is to come out guns 'a' blazing, if does sometimes pay off to read the topic ***le. It is, afterall, the first thing you should see.

Oh, and by the way, 26 is in no way equal to 35/6. You've basically posted the 3 Nations squad minus Lauaki, plus Filipo, Gear, Jane and Mathewson . Well done, great predictions. The only players in that squad I can't see going 100% are those that will be new to he squad, everyone else is pretty much (as you'd imagine) a certainty.
[/b][/quote]
Funnily enough I did read the thread topic and the way I see it is that this is still a thread in which people in this forum are going to make educated picks and who they genuinely think are a chance for the tour and by reading most of the posts in this thread I think I am correct in making this assumption.
A lot of people on here throw some names into the hat which may seem silly but think they have a genuine chance to make it and are looking for what they hope to be positive feedback from the rest of us which i've given for some picks but have also given negative where its due.

"Oh, and by the way"...i've listed a team which I think realistically have a chance of going away on tour and not some fantasy team with 15 new caps. There are a few faces which I don't necessarily agree with but think will make the squad whether I like it or not.

Latest posts