• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which players from Argentina would be starters in the top 6 teams??

No. Obviously not. Just because you can play for the Crusaders doesn't mean you're good enough to be an All Black: Adam Whitelock will never start for the AB's. Similarly most of the above players wouldn't start for the ABs.

I would say that 60% or 70% percent of Crusaders players could play in ABs, wouldn't be the first choice but they could play. Look at the case of Tom Taylor, he doesn't have many games in Crusaders (he only has 24 caps in Crusaders) and he started a game with the black jersey, and did pretty well.

Crusaders players who could wear the black shirt:

Wyatt Crocket = Yes, second choice
Corey Flynn = Yes, second choice
Owen Franks = Yes, first choice
Luke Romano = Yes, first choice
Sam Whitelock = Yes, first choice
George Whitelock = Mmm... No
Richie McCaw = OF COURSE!!!!
Kieran Read = Yes, first choice
Andrew Ellis = Yes, second choice
Dan Carter = Yes, first choice
Zac Guildford = Yes, second choice
Tom Taylor = Yes, second choice
Ryan Crotty = Yes, second choice
Tom Marshall = Yes, he could in the coming years
Israel Dagg = Yes, first choice

Benn Funnell = NO
Joe Moody = NO
Luke Whitelock = NO
Matt Todd = Yes, second choice
Will Heinz = NO
Tyler Bleyendaal = NO
Adam Whitelock = NO

Then, 22 total players. 15 of them have played, are playing or could play in the near future in ABs. And just 7 players couldn't wear the black jersey.

If my math is correct, that means that 68.19% of the Crusaders players wore, is wearing or would wear the black jersey. That's a high percentage, and I think that applies to any top Super Rugby team with the best national teams. In addition, if Julian Savea would play for the Crusaders, the number of players eligible increases.

We are talking about All Blacks, with any national team the percentage increases.

With respect to the latter, I disagree. Albacete could play in ABs, he's a world class lock.

Cheers

Last edited:
Leguizamon is a talented player, but he's way too prone to brainfarts. His teammates in Stade français apparently got fed up of being down to 14, hence why he's now playing 2nd tier club rugby. Personnally, if I was a coach, I wouildn't play him (if I had alternatives like the ones discussed here).

I would say that 60% or 70% percent of Crusaders players could play in ABs, wouldn't be the first choice but they could play. Look at the case of Tom Taylor, he doesn't have many games in Crusaders (he only has 24 caps in Crusaders) and he started a game with the black jersey, and did pretty well.

Crusaders players who could wear the black shirt:

Wyatt Crocket = Yes, second choice
Corey Flynn = Yes, second choice
Owen Franks = Yes, first choice
Luke Romano = Yes, first choice
Sam Whitelock = Yes, first choice
George Whitelock = Mmm... No
Richie McCaw = OF COURSE!!!!
Kieran Read = Yes, first choice
Andrew Ellis = Yes, second choice
Dan Carter = Yes, first choice
Zac Guildford = Yes, second choice
Tom Taylor = Yes, second choice
Ryan Crotty = Yes, second choice
Tom Marshall = Yes, he could in the coming years
Israel Dagg = Yes, first choice

Benn Funnell = NO
Joe Moody = NO
Luke Whitelock = NO
Matt Todd = Yes, second choice
Will Heinz = NO
Tyler Bleyendaal = NO
Adam Whitelock = NO

Then, 22 total players. 15 of them have played, are playing or could play in the near future in ABs. And just 7 players couldn't wear the black jersey.

If my math is correct, that means that 68.19% of the Crusaders players wore, is wearing or would wear the black jersey. That's a high percentage, and I think that applies to any top Super Rugby team with the best national teams. In addition, if Julian Savea would play for the Crusaders, the number of players eligible increases.

We are talking about All Blacks, with any national team the percentage increases.

With respect to the latter, I disagree. Albacete could play in ABs, he's a world class lock.

Cheers

My point was the being able to play for the Crusaders does not mean you are able to play for the All Blacks, let alone start which was the point of the thread. Yes they've had a lot of All Blacks - but in a 30 man squad most don't play for the All Blacks. I don't even truly believe Albacete would start over Whitelock and Retallick. The point of the thread was start for a top 6 team. Also - if you include the squad its only 39% make it to the All Blacks from the Crusaders.

Last edited:
As far as Wales is concerned, Lobbe in for Faletau and Albecete in for Evans, both of which have been said. Think I'd rather have Hernandez on the bench than Hook, as a utility-type fly-half, while Imhoff is unlucky not to make the 23. I love Imhoff.

Albecete and Lobbe would also walk into any of the Six Nations teams (France and Italy could play him on the flank instead of dropping stand-outs Picamoles and Parisse). The only possible exception is Scotland, where I feel Gray/Hamilton is almost too good a partnership to break up, but it'd probably be worth it. I reckon Imhoff would get into England, France, Scotland or Italy's teams, no doubts, and would probably squeeze into Ireland too. Camacho likewise. Leguizamon would start for England, Scotland or Ireland, and then France and Italy too if they're not playing Lobbe at 7 instead (Zanni/Dusatouir not worth dropping). Italy's centres may also be worth swapping. They'd definately take any of the 10s Argentina have on offer.

Leguizamon would not start for Ireland. I'd say Imhoff would have a slimmer chance then what you're suggesting which may just be me being slightly pedantic. Also Lobbe would be played on the flank before being put at 8.

EDIT: Figallo would have a good chance of starting also.

Last edited:
People confusing with players who a team needs I think. Wales aren't really weak in the positions where Argentines best players are so Draggs said he wouldn't have any, even though there are players who are probably better or very competitive to getting into the side. Likewise nickdnz wouldn't have Albacete, I rate Albacete highly, but New Zealand isn't weak at lock so aren't desperate for another lock really, even though Albacete is probably in my opinion one of the best locks of the generation. Nickdnz probably wouldn't have Parisse in his starting team either, as New Zealand already have Read.

In my opinion, regardless of whether they would start or not (where people would just favour their home players in any close decision anyway), there are a certain group of Pumas that any nation in the world would find some use for in some capacity with depth and benches so important. Ayerza, Figallo, Albacete, Lobbe being those players. Also I think Imhoff would look far better playing in better teams than the one he's stuck in. Figallo might not start for Wales with Adam there, but a 25 year old prop who plays both sides and recently embarrassed a 100 cap All Black at scrums would be of use for any side, and would probably end up starting a fair few matches anyway with injuries and stuff. Leguizamon playing all back row positions could find use in most squads as well.

Latest posts