• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which position to aim for next year?

Bazdev123

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
I've played different positions all over at various stages but really want to nail one down. I've been injured for a while but will be ready for pre season.

I'm 19, 5 foot 9... 86 kg rn. I can pass both ways have good footwork and 'vision' and can create space for other people. My defence is solid.

Flip side I'm poor under high kicks so not full back and my speed is average... hardly slow but not exactly quick.

Hard to tell off that but based on my physique and my strengths which position do you guys feel would suit me more? Thank you.

Have a word with Webbo who originated the Which Position To Go For thread as he sounds uncannily like your identical twin brother.

Last edited:
Which position have you enjoyed playing most?

How's your kicking?

It sounds to me like 9 would be a good fit for your size and skills but if you enjoy playing in another position more then perhaps you should focus on that one.

Try and find how you read the game, whichever feels the best you should stick with. You need to find how you can use your attributes the best, not which ones suit different positions. That being said if you're not paritcularly quick the inside backs are probably best. With your skillset you can probably play in a few positions but like i said earlier you need to find which one you suit.

As a Scrum half its mostly about organising the forwards. Which can be difficult if you don't have experience playing there, especially if you don't have a 10 and a few forwards who are willing to give you a break and help you out. Passing is the easy bit. Phase play is about creating space by sucking in the defensive line using the pack,.

Fly-half is utilising the space and controlling the pace of the game. As well as field position and general direction of play.

Inside centre you need to hold your line, you can't be a drifting runner there, so whether you distribute or hit the line more often is up to you and your coach.

Latest posts