• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which soft/Hardware do you use

B

bates

Ez all, just wanna start a little riot about the Soft/ hardware you use @ home /work. :D

At work I use a Dell desktop with windows XP on it <_<
But at home it's an Imac with Leopard :D :D :D

I know most people are or pro or con Apple but I just wanna knw you're opinion about it.
As I sue both on almost daily basis I have to admit Apple just works imo more logical and easier.

so let's the riot start :D

Hi brother, I see you keepin' creation of interesting topics

Well I agree the point that Mac works logically, I like them very much

But what about home PC, it is engineered by MSI (Micro Star International)

And takes pride of Designed for Intel Core 2Duo, Pentium D, Pentium 4 Processors

But actually has Pentium 4 processor

Not the "coolest" one but I have no problems with it.

Monitor belongs to SAMSUNG

Custom made Core2Duo, ATI X1950 etc. machine with Vista Ultimate (vLited down to what I need).

I'm not an Apple fan atall sorry, they make some nice stuff, but aren't worth the price premium imo. For my needs, AutoCAD etc. only a pc will do (can't run a number of programs I need on OSX), also if you set up a pc in the right way, it can be just as easy to use and as reliable.

always been a PC, never touched apple stuff and don't really want to or need to.

I had the same ideas about it as well but as I use my computer for Photoshop/ Indesign and music it's not really a problem.

I use the Office package for Mac, Adobe for Mac and Logic ( instead of Cubase)
My choice was based on the fact that I needed to buy a new computer but didn't want to have Vista running on it :D

pc windows xp and it's a beast q6600 water cooled nvidia 8800 gtx 2 gigs ram with a nice 24" monitor. all my pc games are running great for now might upgrade the video card in a few months.

if I wasn't so into pc gaming I may have a look at a mac or linux but direct x is king at the moment and that runs best on windows. all the other machines in the house are windows too so makes it easier when sharing the documents and others stuff. you also get way better value for the money with windows pcs too macs tend to be overpriced for their specs in this part of the world (aus/nz)

At work:

All forms of G4, G5, and PowerMAC's. *Vommits*

At home:

2 year old rig, so i'm upgrading in December. :)

- Intel Core2Duo E6400 @ 3.2Ghz
- Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320mb
- 4GB Mushkin DDR2-800 RAM
- 2x 250GB Sata2 Drives, 1 160GB Sata Drive, 1 80GB Sata drive, and a 120GB IDE Drive
- ASUS P5n-E Sli Motherboard
- 600W Omega Megapower power supply
- Aerocool Extreme Engine 3T Case

I will be upgrading to a Q6600 and either the 4850X2 or the new 216 core GTX260

That's true, altho the prices for Mac are the same everywere.

Altho I don't think you can compare a pc with a Mac: e.g. I paid â'¬1400 or 2800NZ$ for my Mac 4 GB Ram, where for â'¬900 or 1800NZ$ you have a nice 20 inch 2GB Ram and in Belgium you can buy a decent pc ( just the hardware without screen) for let's say â'¬ 800-850 with Vista, if you want XP you have to pay extra.
( Taking in consideration that â'¬1 = NZ$0.50)

For gaming a Mac isn't that unless you install bootcamp that allows you to run XP or Vista.

But if I compare my working pc ( 2 months old) with my Apple at home ( 7 months old) there is a huge difference in speed when using for example CS3 ( I use the Apple and windows version) The Apple version is just much more quicker.

I'm not going trying to convience people to switch, but everytime I tell people I use Mac I got loads of negative comments on it and as I use both systems where some people are very loyal to Windows which is ok I always wonder how they come up with those reasons to be anti Mac.

Tbh, if I didn't use my computer for graphic design and music I think I would have bought a new pc

I've got myself quite a nice rig, as I use it for my studies a lot (apart from also being an avid gamer)

basically a

c2d E6750
2G of some corsair ram.
ATI HD 4850
Samsung 2232GW (absolutely the most beautiful screen the world has ever seen).

which I use to run my Adobe CS3 suite.
I know they say productivity is increased up to 20% on larger screens, but hot damn working in Flash and Photoshop with this screen is like working in a dream.

That said I've seen the iMacs that our art department uses at Uni, wouldn't mind having one of those, they're pretty ideal for what I'm doing actually.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Sep 29 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've got myself quite a nice rig, as I use it for my studies a lot (apart from also being an avid gamer)

basically a

c2d E6750
2G of some corsair ram.
ATI HD 4850
Samsung 2232GW (absolutely the most beautiful screen the world has ever seen).

which I use to run my Adobe CS3 suite.
I know they say productivity is increased up to 20% on larger screens, but hot damn working in Flash and Photoshop with this screen is like working in a dream.

That said I've seen the iMacs that our art department uses at Uni, wouldn't mind having one of those, they're pretty ideal for what I'm doing actually.[/b]

Those 24 inch Imacs also use a Samsung screen, absolute beauties, how many inch is your Samsung as I was thinking of buying an extra screen for my labtop

the 2232GW = the 22 "

2232gw.jpg

technically this is my second as the first along with my entire PC was rather rudely taken from me in a armed robbery about a month ago.

I use it to connect my 360 via the VGA cable for some hi def gaming, much cheaper than bying an HDTV.

This is what I use:

Case:Antec 900 Gaming case
Motherboard:EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW
CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 OC @ 3.0GHz
RAM:4gig Corsair DDR2-1066 DOMINATOR Memory + Corsair Airflow Memory Cooler
Graphics Card:EVGA GeForce nVidia 9800GX2 1024MB
Hard drives:Western Digital 300GB VelociRaptor SATA 10000RPM, Western Digital 750GB Caviar SATA 7200RPM
Monitor:19'' Samsung SyncMaster Widescreen
CD/DVD drive:Samsung 20x Super-Writemaster DVD Writer with Lightscribe
Power Supply:EZ Cool 1200watt PSU
CPU Cooler:Asus Arctic Square

I'm still using the "Old school" OS,Win XP Home,thinking of getting either XP Pro 64 bit or Vista 64bit so I can run my "MONSTER" :D with 8 gig of RAM!,can't decide which one is better....Any Ideas?

Cheers
Ross

x64 win xp sucks, tried it for a week, but the driver support is utterly useless. Vista is the only way to go if you're after 64bit to take advantage of that 8GB of ram. I need to move over myself and buy another 2GB of ram, as this machine starts struggling with a large file open in 3ds max/autoCAD.

More info on my setup:

Lian-Li PC-V300 case (bit too small for my needs, meaning the power supply sits on top!)
Abit Fatal1ty F190HD mATX mobo
Intel Core2Duo e6600
2GB Corsair ram
ATI X1950 XT graphics
Hiper 580W Type-R power supply
80GB, 200GB, 320GB and 2x500GB Seagate hd's
2xAcer 19" widescreens

Wouldn't mind a Core2Quad either, mayb someday soon!

Well it depends on what you use your computer for.

Gaming is a regular pc running on windows or Linux

all the rest is Apple in my opinion

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 1 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

all the rest is Apple in my opinion[/b]

Yeah. I agree. In my line of work, a MAC is the much better choice. But for all entertainment purposes, PC is the way to go.

I even was thinking to install windows on my Mac via bootcamp as it offers a much better platform, but I didn't do it.
If I need windows I'll buy a common computer, so now I play Rugby 08 on the old Dell pc :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 1 2008, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

all the rest is Apple in my opinion[/b]

Not really. For my needs, mainly CAD, there is no option atall, a PC is a must. This is not Apples fault, but the fact that Autodesk, (who by now owns 80%+ of the most commonly used CAD programs, inclding AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Maya etc. etc.) only support windows. I know you can bootcamp, but that's not ever close to ideal is it?

Also, Linux is also useless when it comes to gaming, or CAD etc. It has the same problems as OSX, probably because OSX is based on UNIX.

Macs look nice, and don't get virus's (because no-one writes viruses for them, as not many people use them). Also no registry (though Microsoft are fazing out the registry with Vista), can't wait till it's gone. They are on par with Photo/Video Editing, a bit behind on multimedia skills, but waaaay behind on CAD and Gaming.

Saying that, they do look quite nice!

Latest posts