• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which Unions can cope with the financial impact of Coronavirus

Aren't the English and French clubs the only ones with salary caps?
They are laughable if they do - my understanding is that many of those clubs run at a loss and are propped up by private equity.

I know Australian sides do.

You must have missed the biggest story in rugby this season, about Saracens, if you don't think there is one
Yeah obviously. Spoke without thinking. Apologies.

Regardless - i think the massively inflated wages coming out of Europe have been generally detrimental to the game as a whole and i wouldnt shed a tear if a few of those teams paid for their largesse.

Genuinely hope some French clubs go under. The French and English domestic competitions have destabilised Rugby all over the world.

A domestic salary cap should be a condition on participation in international rugby. Sustainability should be enforced.

Rugby isnt and hopefully never will turn into the soulless sportwashing shitshow that is the EPL.
But the rippling effect of bigger clubs going under will be worse than wage inflation. This will weaken the French union. There are no central contracts here. The FFR can neither afford to bail out those clubs nor buy back the contracts of the internationals who will lose their job. Never mind the impact on the regional and local economy around those clubs.
There is a salary cap in place in Top 14. And it is enforced Montpellier was fined last season for breaking it. I agree that salaries in some of the clubs have been over board. Montpellier paying Pollard over 1 million euros is ridiculous. Dupont at Toulouse is on half that. Saying that right now I'd take wage inflation over covid any day.

Isn't the wage inflation point a bit of a chicken and egg scenario though?

I'd argue that the players/agents are just as guilty of driving the inflation (potentially more so) as the clubs who are prepared to pay them.

Right now, the clubs are pretty much asking to renegotiate contracts for survival, not to d!ck over the players.

I say let those French clubs go under. They're a menace to society and the game anyway.

And let's see how long it takes for the FFR to buy back les Bleus contracts and field a team they say they can't afford. That'll advance the cause of international rugby no end.

Don't forget all the Fijians, the Georgians that we kidnapped. WR can pick up the tab for them. Let's reset proper.

I can't wait.

Prem is gonna get screwed.
Reality is only Bristol and Sarries will be roughly confident of this.
Then Bath.

The clubs who will be in the firing line are Falcons, Worcester and Wasps.
Tigers, Exeter, Quins, Saints and Gloucester are prob next up.
Exeter are pulling a profit but will Rowe dip into his pocket when it stops having that profit?

Then I have no idea about how much Irish and Sale owners will put in.
Sale should be alright.

Like people like to point to Tigers as being in a horrible position cause of the contract mess.
BUT at least they showed that they are not bluffing and will cut you.
Some clubs didn't push anywhere near as hard last time and will prob now have to do that.

My predication is ring-fenced
10 team prem league
10 team championship Part time.

Then I have no idea about how much Irish and Sale owners will put in.
Our new owners seem pretty happy to sink a lot of cash (have said it's a labour of love as they've been season ticket holders since Heywood Rd.) - that said, propping up the low crowds is very different to funding absolutely everything.
Even the richest/most loyal fan/owner will get sick of the drain eventually (bar Bristol/Sarries, whose owners will barely notice a few million missing)

I like Itoje's take on wage inflation at a time when survival of the game that feeds him is at stake. Racing President Lorenzenti said he is asking for 1 million euros no less. Looks like Racing have learnt their lesson from the Carter era and ruled themselves out from signing Itoje.

Fan limit has been dropped to 1K per game in Top14. Not many clubs out there can survive long after Xmas with the current restrictions. There's no telling how long the health dictactors will be allowed to weave their dark magic. Toulouse is losing 300k per game and will have lost 10 millions by xmas according to Didier Lacroix the president
The limit to 1K fans across the board regardless of stadium capacity is the most brain dead only a government of morons could engineer.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-...rophique-pour-toulouse_sto7934012/story.shtml

I like Itoje's take on wage inflation at a time when survival of the game that feeds him is at stake. Racing President Lorenzenti said he is asking for 1 million euros no less. Looks like Racing have learnt their lesson from the Carter era and ruled themselves out from signing Itoje.

He is going to end up shooting himself in both feet.

Fan limit has been dropped to 1K per game in Top14. Not many clubs out there can survive long after Xmas with the current restrictions. There's no telling how long the health dictactors will be allowed to weave their dark magic. Toulouse is losing 300k per game and will have lost 10 millions by xmas according to Didier Lacroix the president
The limit to 1K fans across the board regardless of stadium capacity is the most brain dead only a government of morons could engineer.
https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-...rophique-pour-toulouse_sto7934012/story.shtml
Good

looks like NZR will survive 2020 COVID, fans flocked to SRA...whether they will survive the ongoing effects of COVID, at least in the same way, is yet to be seen. We need to get a new super comp sorted other wise we will start loosing players to the NH

I'm guessing the so called health dictators will keep the current restrictions the same or stop fans from attending the games completely until you guys take Covid seriously. Meanwhile looks like I'm heading to test rugby very soon.

Gloucester are renting out their corporate boxes for people working from home, during the off season.

Hey you just spoke without thinking. Again. Well done.
Thought about this one, actually.

The Top 14 is everything that is wrong with rugby and i wouldn't give two shits if the entire league went under. At the very least it would stem the poaching of Southern Hemisphere talent a little and balance out player salaries.

In fact, anything that is bad for the European leagues is almost certainly good for Australian rugby.

One union that is obviously flush with cash is the SARU if they can turn down £14,000,000

Latest posts