• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

White cards for rugby?

K

kvt

NFL coaches have red flags which they can use to challenge a call made by the ref. This forces the ref to watch the replay and decide if he should reverse his call.

So should rugby adopt a similar rule by allowing each team a white card (one for each half) which they can use to challenge the ref's call and make the TMO decide the appropriate call....full story here

I think it will be much easier if they simply patch through the TMO, much like the assistant refs are put through the earpieces who will advice the ref through the game on what they see, for example if it seems a bit iffy the TMO can ask if he could have more time to look at a play or whatever...and the TMO should probably be a very senior ref, acting as something of a supervisor....

Its a great idea imo, lol Most coaches are in the press thingy box's anyway, so maybe the captain should have this power?

Its a great initiative... maybe if they used this last year the AB's would've been champions :p :( lol

Maybe the coach should patch through to the TMO when he wants to challenge a call and then the TMO will discuss it with the ref

And yeah, even though I'm a Wallabies fan, McAllister's yellow card was pretty harsh and the missed forward pass was unlucky for the AB's

It was allready used rather successfully in the Varsity cup final between Maties and Ikeys, it had a few problems that needs to be ironed out, such as speeding up the process a little, and the fact that there was no big screen at the Danie craven stadium so no spectators really knew what was going on. It also has a glitch or two in terms of when it can be used (when play stops and so on, sometimes forcing the ref to ignore a previous white card call in favor of the latest call or penalty).

But it did stop the Maties from being awarded a try which they scored with players offside, they still won the match but now Ikeys really can't feel as if though they were cheated.

Imagine if there had been a white card in the Sharks v Hurricanes match, or the Bulls v Blues match.

i really disslike having the challenge play idea. i think its going to stop the game, and be used as a technique to slow momentum rather than anything else.

however, i think that there should be a official allocated to each teams coach, so then when a questionable call is made, they can go, hey look at that, and if worthy of play stopping they can go back on it.

i really disslike having the challenge play idea. i think its going to stop the game, and be used as a technique to slow momentum rather than anything else.

[/b]

that's why i think penalties (except for a shot at goal) should be given to the other team if the challenging team gets it wrong

Latest posts