• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

White in Lions role?

A

An Tarbh

White in talks about Lions role

World Cup-winning coach Jake White has held talks with the Lions about working on next year's tour of South Africa.

White, who led South Africa to victory over England in the 2007 final, spoke to Lions coach Ian McGeechan last week about working as a consultant.

The South African has already discussed similar roles with Wasps and Saracens.

White told The Times of South Africa: "I've made it clear to McGeechan that I'm actively in the market for a job in rugby and I believe I can add value."

He added: "But it's up to him and the Lions organisation to decide if they need me.

"It's something I would consider. Rugby is a professional game and if there are no opportunities that suit me in South Africa, I might look at some other options."

I made it clear to South African rugby that I wanted to be involved in helping them, but they haven't expressed an interest in using me
Jake White

White has been out of rugby since leading the Springboks to glory at last year's World Cup.

The 44-year-old could start working for Saracens on a short-term contract as early as next month, his agent Craig Livingstone told BBC Sport.

Saracens are coached by White's friend, Eddie Jones, and a role with the club would allow the South African to work for the Lions in the summer.

"Saracens have offered me a contract to work there for a week or two and McGeechan, at Wasps, has offered me a similar deal," White said.

"Now I'm suddenly faced with a choice, which was something I didn't have, or didn't seek, for almost a year.

"I made it clear to South African rugby that I wanted to be involved in helping them because I feel I have a lot to give back to rugby.

"But they haven't expressed an interest in using me, so I have to look at my options."

BBC Sport

He's clearly trying to twist SARU's arm into giving him a job. I kinda like Jake but he's being a dick now. I bet he approached McGeehan rather than the other way around.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 21 2008, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He's clearly trying to twist SARU's arm into giving him a job. I kinda like Jake but he's being a dick now. I bet he approached McGeehan rather than the other way around.[/b]

Either way can the Lions really afford to turn down a chance to use the RWC 07 winning coach against the Boks?

From a British and Irish perspective it is a great option to have, and being the pro era there's no real problem of using him.
From a SA perspective he's just looks bitter. He has some ground to stand on because SARU treated him like crap but he'll be making enemies with the rugby public if he gets involved with the tour.
If he does it can only end in 2 ways: 1) He helps the Lions win, off expertise he received in SA Rugby, and becomes public enemy number 1, or 2) The Lions loose even though they had his help, he and the Lions loose respect, and he ends up being on the receiving end of the SA Rugby supporters wrath.

Just remember that SA supporters take the Lions tour very seriously, if he meddles with that people won't be happy at all. A bit traditionalist, yes, but tradition is the name of the game when it comes to Lion tours. IMO of course.

To be honest, he may well be acting like a dick but thats only in reponse to being dicked around in the last 18 months by various bodies like SARU and the RFU. He has spent a good while making very genuine offers to anyone who has listened and has had nothing but radio silence of vague offers.

I think he'd be a delightful choice as a lions coach and I think him and McGeechan would get on really well. Having a Geech-Edwards-Gatland-White foursome would be awesome.

If White does come on board it's getting dangerously close to looking like 2005 all over again and a case of too many cooks. They've made their choice with the coaching staff, they've got enough people. No doubting White's credentials but it's a case of either/or not both.

I've expressed my personal selfish opinions, but i'd like White to go if that means Gatland can stay behind in Wales.
I want Gatland to stay!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 22 2008, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
But the Ospreys/Mr Moffett obviously don't![/b]

Its now Roger Lewis <_<

For me the list will look quite big with Geech, Gatland, Edwards and Howley will there be room for White ....

We will find out today!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 22 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've expressed my personal selfish opinions, but i'd like White to go if that means Gatland can stay behind in Wales.
I want Gatland to stay![/b]

It's not as if he's going to quit Wales for the Lions forwards coach job, what's the problem?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 22 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 22 2008, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not as if he's going to quit Wales for the Lions forwards coach job, what's the problem?
[/b][/quote]

He may well actually do! With the growing political problem with Wales, apparently Gatland is considering it!

This comes into the category of "poor housekeeping" for me.
The WRU, having watched what happened with Graham Henry in 2001, is now giving carte blanche for the entire Welsh coaching team to go with the Lions whilst the Wales squad is left in limbo in North America.
Its not even close to being joined up thinking.
If the option of allowing the national coach to go with the Lions didn't work last time, then why will it now with the entire coaching team?
Gatland is a Kiwi, Henry was a Kiwi; Gatland has just had some success with Wales; so had Henry. The WRU must be losing the plot.
I think all the conflict with the regions is a side issue. Gatland, now he has the Lions job on his CV, may decide suddenly that he doesn't like the weather in Wales and there are better jobs out there.
He was employed to take Wales from ninth in the world to the top five, and put structures in place so young players come through to the kind of excellence we see in the Southern Hemisphere.
How is taking a year out to concentrate mainly on the Lions going to fulfil that objective?
I can understand Edwards going with the Lions - he's been honest about it from the start. But Gatland, Howley and the rest is baffling.
What are the other Home Nations saying about it. If they cared you would have thought there would be massive outcry, but there has not been a squeak from England fans.
If English, Irish or Scottish rugby was any good surely, or if anyone there gave a toss, you would have thought they would be complaining that Wales was getting all the limelight.
Instead, no one seems too bothered. Either they are getting paid too much or they haven't got the confidence or bottle for the really big jobs.
That's why Gatland, McGeechan and even Jake White now are being touted for the big coaching roles. No Englishmen or Irishmen up to it, unless they learned their trade in rugby league of course!

Oh please Henry's record doesn't stand up to Gatland's. If he goes it's the WRU's fault, nothing to do with him being allowed to coach the Lions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (presty99 @ Oct 22 2008, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This comes into the category of "poor housekeeping" for me.
The WRU, having watched what happened with Graham Henry in 2001, is now giving carte blanche for the entire Welsh coaching team to go with the Lions whilst the Wales squad is left in limbo in North America.
Its not even close to being joined up thinking.
If the option of allowing the national coach to go with the Lions didn't work last time, then why will it now with the entire coaching team?
Gatland is a Kiwi, Henry was a Kiwi; Gatland has just had some success with Wales; so had Henry. The WRU must be losing the plot.
I think all the conflict with the regions is a side issue. Gatland, now he has the Lions job on his CV, may decide suddenly that he doesn't like the weather in Wales and there are better jobs out there.
He was employed to take Wales from ninth in the world to the top five, and put structures in place so young players come through to the kind of excellence we see in the Southern Hemisphere.
How is taking a year out to concentrate mainly on the Lions going to fulfil that objective?
I can understand Edwards going with the Lions - he's been honest about it from the start. But Gatland, Howley and the rest is baffling.
What are the other Home Nations saying about it. If they cared you would have thought there would be massive outcry, but there has not been a squeak from England fans.
If English, Irish or Scottish rugby was any good surely, or if anyone there gave a toss, you would have thought they would be complaining that Wales was getting all the limelight.
Instead, no one seems too bothered. Either they are getting paid too much or they haven't got the confidence or bottle for the really big jobs.
That's why Gatland, McGeechan and even Jake White now are being touted for the big coaching roles. No Englishmen or Irishmen up to it, unless they learned their trade in rugby league of course![/b]

Kidney is up to it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 22 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Why would i want Gatland to go off and coach the Lions instead of staying and help coach and further the potential careers of the young talent in Wales?
I know he's not quitting, but he hasn't exactly been in the job long and he's running off - with every other staff member it looks like! - to the Lions now.
Like i said, it's my selfish opinion...i'd rather him stay and help Wales rather than help the Lions.
That's what the problem is.

At the end of the day I think it's a good chance for the younger players to gain experience. It's not as if the US or Canada are likely to put a win over you guys (no disrespect meant to the N Americans!), so why not use it as an experiment. Plus, what Gatland, Edwards and Howley learn in SA is likely to be of benefit in the long run anyway. Sure it's a bit off of Gatland to sod off with the Lions next Summer, but what coach wouldn't.

BTW, just seen on the beeb that White isn't going to be involved in the Lions setup as a consultant. What's that bloke got to do to get a job? Win a World Cup?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 23 2008, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 22 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Why would i want Gatland to go off and coach the Lions instead of staying and help coach and further the potential careers of the young talent in Wales?
I know he's not quitting, but he hasn't exactly been in the job long and he's running off - with every other staff member it looks like! - to the Lions now.
Like i said, it's my selfish opinion...i'd rather him stay and help Wales rather than help the Lions.
That's what the problem is.
[/b][/quote]

It is desperately selfish and rather myopic, as has already been said he'll learn far more from a Lions tour than he will on some Mickey Mouse tour to America with the rejects who haven't made the Lions squad so far more to gain in the long run from him going than not.

Alright, ease up, an tarbh! We can all make mistakes.
I didn't look at it from the point of view that Gatland and co. could also learn from their experiences.
And I wasn't talking about the so called "rejects" who don't make it on the Lions tour, I was in reference to the upcoming youngsters (Halfpenny, Webb, Biggar etc.) I still think i have a vaild point concerning those guys .

Latest posts