• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who are currently your 3 favorite union players and why ?

McCaw

He seems like an all round awesome dude

BoD

So much respect for the man

Liam Messam

Chiefs Captain :)

One of the guys I would have a beer with, one of my favorite all time players, would be big Norm Hadley the former Canada Captain and lock...and man mountain.

One of the old school...

Jason Leonard...would be a top guy to have a beer with.

Brian Moore and Eddie Butler would be a great duo to go for a beer with.

And maybe Austin Heally.

Jean de Villiers
Richard McCaw
Brian O'Driscoll

All 3 close enough to my age, all 3 intellegent and class players who have been around the block and captained their nations so should have a lot to talk about and all 3 seem to be the type of guy I could get along with.

here is mine in no particular order.

1. Steffon Armitage - Possibly one of the best flankers/Back-row in the world right now and should defiantly be given a chance to play at the world cup or for England.
2. Shane Williams - Wales top try scorer and overall just an unbelievable player. possible my most favourite player of all time.
3. Leigh Halfpenny - one of the best players Wales has at the moment has potential to be remembered like Shane Williams and also was nominated for sports personality of the year award 2013 and lost out to Andy Murray :mad: booooooooo!

Special mention - Romain Teulet - The retired Castres fullback and now i belive he is their kicking coach. Hes on the list due to him being 5"4 and the same height as me which is a hard thing to find in the modern game.

PS: some of you may notice everyone mentioned in the list is under 6"0 ;)

i haven't done mine yet, so i'll do mine now

1.) Dan Carter (Just because I think he's a perfect model for younger rugby players, and I really like his attitude on and off the pitch)

2.) Stuart Hogg (Really love his playing style and he is young with a bright future ahead off him)

3.) Nick Cummins (His interviews make me laugh and i really like his personality)

Honourable mention-

Sean Maitland (Only because that he could have been capped for New Zealand but still choose Scotland instead off them and I respect him for that)

Ben Smith - he is the only player to come close to my all time hero Christian Cullen, he is like Cullen Humble, a brilliant brilliant player, both attack and defence

Conrad Smith - Hurricanes captain and a very humble guy, fantastic player, doesnt have much flair or dont always see what he does, but the day he isnot playing you really really notice his absence

Cory Jane - Freak :) / Jokester/prankster/ best handoff in rugby (IMO) and he is also a humble guy

i haven't done mine yet, so i'll do mine now

1.) Dan Carter (Just because I think he's a perfect model for younger rugby players, and I really like his attitude on and off the pitch)

2.) Stuart Hogg (Really love his playing style and he is young with a bright future ahead off him)

3.) Nick Cummins (His interviews make me laugh and i really like his personality)

Honourable mention-

Sean Maitland (Only because that he could have been capped for New Zealand but still choose Scotland instead off them and I respect him for that)

i don't think maitland is anywhere near good enough to be an AB to be honest, take nothing away from him though it doesn't mean he's a bad player by any means

- - - Updated - - -

Joost van der Westhuizen - one of the best players of all time and possibly the best scrum half, what he is going through just now is heartbreaking and very much puts sport into perspective.

Bryan Habana - doesn't need much of an explanation, superb player on the field and just as good off it.

Percy Montgomery or Jacques Burger (can't decide) - both from my homeland and made it to the top of the game. (there's not many)

I am judging each and everyone of you that listed more backs than forwards.

Richard Hill - He would happily stick his face in places I wouldn't dangle a toe.

Josh Lewsey - Another guy without the slightest hint of self-preservation, ready and eager to kill anyone breaking the line.

Austin Healey - I can imagine he would be a real laugh on a night out. Top bloke.

Gavin Henson ~ Will always have a place in my mind. When on form and clear of injury he's one of the most genuinely talented rugby footballers there's been from Europe in a very long time. From the way he can pick out a pass, punt it when it's on and fire out a flat pass in a simple 3 on 2 (which many pros can't seem to do...). Mixing it with physicality and defence as well.

Shane Williams ~ An inspiration. His natural ability, the obstacles he overcame, how he adapted and improved his game and important he was to the national team.

Dan Carter ~ Admire the way he plays. A complete all rounder.

Digby Ioane - Always loved his style of play, loved his attitude. Spent a fair bit of time with the bloke and I'd consider him a good friend.
Manu Tuilagi - Great player, ruthless.
Matt Giteau - Always going to be one of my faves.

Latest posts