Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
This is just something I've been wondering about...Do you think forwards are better captains than backline players or vica versa?
Like John Smit vs BOD?Or past players like Tana Umanga vs Zinzan Brooke?

Discuss here

Last edited:
Forwards

Willie John McBride, Martin Johnson ,Jon Eales to name but 3.

Arguement over :p

Depends on the player. But I agree that forwards have a advantage imo

Come to think of it, there haven't been much International backline player captains in the last few years that I can recall, obvious one that sticks out is BOD of Ireland, Italy has Parisse, England mostly has a forward as a captain, Scotland has a backline player as captain in Mike Blair/Chris Cusiter(I think), Wales has Ryan Jones, France got Dusautoir.
SA has Smit, Australia has Elsom and the All Blacks got McCaw so out of that one can probably say that forwards are the best choice for a captain, but why?Is it because they are part of the "pack" that are close together in scrums and line-outs that needs lots of instructions?

Definately forwards.
They're always in the thick of it, where the penalties are likely to be given.
Imagine if the fullback has to run over to the penalty to speak to the ref, then they take a quick penalty, chip back, and there's noone there to recover the ball

Depends on the team, style of play, and individual.
Forwards usually, but for Wales, Gareth Thomas and Ieuan Evans were both great captains.

NZ best captains have generally been forwards - Wilson Whinerary, Brian Lochore, Graham Mourie, Buck Shelford, Sean Fitzpatrick, Ritchie Macaw ... with a couple of notable exceptions ... David Kirk, Tana Umaga

I think the ones with the worst records are Tane Randle (loose forward) and Stu Wilson (Wing)

I agree with Olly that backs can be a bit far away from the action sometimes, although Mils didn't do a bad job when Richie was injured

While I voted for "forwards", only one NZ Captain has held aloft the Webb Ellis Cup.... and he was a back!!

I thought Tana Umaga was a really great captain, but I'd say as a rule, forwards are better captains.

Forwards because they are always in the thick of it.

Keith 'The Raging Potato' Wood was a good captain for Ireland, everytime I saw him he always had a good game.

Ritchie McCaw without a doubt is my best captain. This guy has experience, cool head, huge workrate and has the most consistent form over a long period of time of any forward I know of in these modern times. His captaincy is good you can trust his way is the right way.

Scrum halves. Usually the smartest of the bunch. Right in the thick of it, but able to see the greater picture at the same time. Morgan Parra will be the French captain soon. Mark my words...

I know in France we tend to divide the responsabilities between 2 or 3 players. For example Dusautoir will be the official captain, but Parra will be the game leader/brains, and maybe another guy will lead eveybody from the front. Usually the #8 or the hooker.

Scrum halves. Usually the smartest of the bunch. Right in the thick of it, but able to see the greater picture at the same time. Morgan Parra will be the French captain soon. Mark my words...

Was thinking the exact same thing as I selected next page.
I suppose there should be 3 options, forwards, backs and scrum-halfs

But then again, a lot of Captains are fairly intimdating, and lets just say that the smallest man on the field is not very intimadating

Was thinking the exact same thing as I selected next page.
I suppose there should be 3 options, forwards, backs and scrum-halfs

But then again, a lot of Captains are fairly intimdating, and lets just say that the smallest man on the field is not very intimadating

I don't think the captain has to be physically intinidating. There's props and locks for this. He has to be intimidationg because he's good and he masters the troops. Gregan and Pichot epitomize this perfectly. Small, annoying, loudmouthed and very very good.Jacques Fouroux was excatly that as well. Smallest and loudest guy on the field (1.63 m /5 ft 4 in). Captained france to her first grand Slam, too.

I don't think the captain has to be physically intinidating. There's props and locks for this. He has to be intimidationg because he's good and he masters the troops. Gregan and Pichot epitomize this perfectly. Small, annoying, loudmouthed and very very good.Jacques Fouroux was excatly that as well. Smallest and loudest guy on the field (1.63 m /5 ft 4 in). Captained france to her first grand Slam, too.

Never said physically intimadating ;)

They got to keep their good form up, not many halfbacks do apart from Gregan and Pichot. Thats probably why you dont see too many halfback captains.

Most of the Premiership captains are second rowers as far as I'm aware

Most of the Premiership captains are second rowers as far as I'm aware
*back rowers ;)
Bath, Exeter, Quins, Wasps
Think there's only Sale and Saracens with Locks as their captains that I can think of (with Saracens being captained by a backrow atm, and Sales captain able to play back row :p )

Latest posts