• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Are The Dirtiest Players In Rugby?

I`ll have to vote for Sebastien Chabal. We all know that cavemen don`t bathe too often. So just imagine how much dried blood/raw cow intestine there must be stuck in that beard and hair? Plus he plays for Sale. As mentioned previously, it tends to rain a fair bit over there....

This thread is meaningless.

Absoloutely right. In fact, to hell with anyone opinions, all the threads are pointless. Let's shut down the whole forum.

<_<

Dont be such a big baby this thread is meaningless because you cannot play at the top level and be dirty. You are no good to your team if you are sent off or sin binned. In the amature era there was limited TV coverage and it was a very different rugby culture .This has nothing to do with any of the other threads so please calm down
Of course you can play at the top level and be dirty! Every year there are incidents of eye gouging, cheap shots and rucking with the intention of harm! Dirty play may not be as commonplace as iesteryear, however it is still occurring at the top level and will continue to do so.

If you say it cannot happen at the top level Danny, you must be perceiving your local u13s games as top level..
[

Im saying that at the top level there are no real dirty players. Not that there are no incidents of dirty play.
Its a game played by human beings under great physical and mental pressure so you are bound to get the odd moment of fighting or someone wanting to do something illegal.That will never change. Dont get me wrong I like to see a full on fight during a game now and again but it is very rare at top level now.
If we all had to name dirty players still playing we would now have to reel off loads of guys playing in local rugby cos thats where you still get some very nasty incidents.

By god you are a world class idiot. I could reel off a load of names and tell exact incidents of why they're cheating ******** (eg. Horrible Italian c*** raking Spencers eyes last year, Hazel and Azam both beating up Shane Drahm etc.), but your statement of "you cannot play at the top level and be dirty" is the biggest load of ******** I've ever heard.

Just because there are cameras at most top flight games doesn't mean the dirty players won't ****le at each other, regarless of that or if the ref is even standing in front of them. For example of a couple of seasons ago at Saints v Bath, I had a sweepstake on the terrace of how long before a fight between Tupai and Grewcock broke out. Everyone knew exactly what they're both like, dirty ******** whom are happy to to give their opposite number a slap at the best of times, so we knew it was coming. Low and behold, 30 seconds into the game they're both rolling around on he floor knocking the seven bails out of each other.

Both are known as dirty ********. Last time I checked, that was in the modern era and being a Premiership game, there were TV cameras and citing officers there. I don't recall that stopping them.

Then there's the famous example of England v Samoa at Twickenham; Tualagi deliberately tackles Cueto in the air and in response, Moody deliberately unloads a haymaker into the back of Tualagis head. That was a live telivised game if I recall. I'm not entirely sure, you may be able to clear this one up for me, but I don't think the TV cameras created your condition of "you cannot play at the top level and be dirty". I've personally always considered punching somebody in the back of the head as a particularly dirty tactic.

Now, no doubt you're now very tempted to go off on one with another high and mighty comment such as "don't be such a big baby" (which I do recommend you nip in the bud as we've already recieved more then a few complaints about your attitude), but I'd suggest you accept that you've spoken ******** which you can't back up, so accept defeat and graciously back down.

Is there a big difference between dirty players and hot-headed players. Using Samoa's Tuilagi-Moody incident, i don't think either player is a dirty player (admittedly this comes from a biased Tigers fan). Tuilagi was guilty of over-enthusiasm and poor judgement, and Moody's reaction was of anger to the potential injury to a teammate. Bear in mind that in a full international with all the adrenaline pumping i imagine it's easy to lose your cool. This is very different to a dirty player who consistantly/deliberately tackles high/late or other deliberate sins like stamping/biting/gougng/singing the Marseilleise.

Note, i'm not condoning Moody and Tuilagi's actions just explaining why players may act like that.

Korne Krige was a pretty dirty player, tbh there are plenty of them. Martin Johnson was a bit of a thug. I remember when Tuilangi pasted Moody :lol2tn:

Danny Grewcock has got to be up there with the best of them, disciplinary list as long as your arm !! Maybe I'm classing the next one on an isolated incident, but who can forget Duncan Mcraes' mindless attack on Ronan O'gara, absolute thuggery, the guy should never have played again, period !!!!

Sale are probably the dirtiest team. they play near Manchester where it rains 99% of the time so they must get muddier than everyone else.
[/b]

genius

Muck.jpg

this has got to be one of the dirtiest teams around

Nobody is mentioning Schalk Burger? Don't get me wrong... great player and in interviews he comes across as a very kind soul but he's always the first one there when a fight is about to erupt. I find him quite hyterical.

its a sorprise that you dont have mention for an argentine player, because in all others sports people says that the argentina's players are dirty

it s a big sorprise really

its a sorprise that you dont have mention for an argentine player, because in all others sports people says that the argentina's players are dirty

it s a big sorprise really
[/b]

The thing is they are all dirty so its hard to pick one out ;)

Most second rowers have a mean streak a mile long and would do anything to get on top of their opponent. In saying that you dont play rugby to make friends...you play to win. In saying that I thought Justin Harrison was a bit of a thug and always ended up on the wrong side of the referee. Dan Vickerman can be forced into doing those sort of things if you provoke him.

Alot of the South Africans like to play dirty. Corne Krige was one. Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha like to rough up their opponents. From the northern hemisphere, Martin Johnson was a mean bugger and Craig Quinnell also struck me as been horrendously stupid with his discipline.

Nobody is mentioning Schalk Burger? Don't get me wrong... great player and in interviews he comes across as a very kind soul but he's always the first one there when a fight is about to erupt. I find him quite hyterical.
[/b]

do you mean he's first there 'cos he caused it? :)

he's the first to pretty much all the action, that's his job! and he's quite good at it too. I don't think being first in to back up your team mates is dirty, it's a rugby tradition. Taking a few cheap shots is not so commendable though.

I recall someone did a poll of the Aussie super 14 players a couple of years back (may have been super 12 at the time) regarding the dirtiest players in the supers. Troy Flavell got third, can't remember second (think it was a SA'er, might have been Berger), but I was surprised that De Wet Barry was voted dirtiest of the dirty.

Most second rowers have a mean streak a mile long and would do anything to get on top of their opponent. In saying that you dont play rugby to make friends...you play to win. In saying that I thought Justin Harrison was a bit of a thug and always ended up on the wrong side of the referee. Dan Vickerman can be forced into doing those sort of things if you provoke him.

Alot of the South Africans like to play dirty. Corne Krige was one. Victor Matfield and Bakkies Botha like to rough up their opponents. From the northern hemisphere, Martin Johnson was a mean bugger and Craig Quinnell also struck me as been horrendously stupid with his discipline. [/b]

2003 Lions and Healey's article. He wrote it because in the previous game Harrison acted like the petulent plank he was. Never sore him trying to hurt the opposition so maybe not dirty.

Johnno: I'm biased and saw him more as passionate and very fiery tempered in the heat of battle. Craig Quinnell i remember in a cup match pinning howard to the ground and repeatedly smashing his forearm into howard's face.

got to mention Duncan McRae on O'Gara in 2003. one of the most unsavoury incidences i've seen on the pitch.

An tri-nations back row forward. Will kill the ball consitently and relentsly and will not be pinged by southern hempisphere refs. When these teams come to the Northern Hempisphere refs ping them for all there offences as seen on all recent tours by the amount of yellow cards concedded by new Zealand and south Africa
[/b]

from the WC group stages:

Australia: 6 + 11 + 8 + 10 = 35
England: 10 + 9 + 9 + 8 = 36
New Zealand: 3 + 5 + 5 + 6 = 19
South Africa: 5 + 5 + 10 = 20

mixture of north and south hemisphere refs for all games.

S. Burger is pretty dirty, every few Bokkes games I notice he gives away penalties for killing ball, hands in the ruck and high tackles. Quite frankly I would have cited him for some of the tackles against Wales on Saturday for being high.

Butch James is really bad for (high tackles) too, I've only really noticed it at club level, with one instance at national to my recollection against Scotland, so it's easy to see why I remember it so vividly :p.

I also agree with anyone who considers Lawrence Dallalio (sp?) or Lewis Moody very dirty players.
Personally I think LD is stuck in the old days when you could punch and stamp as much as you wanted as long as the referee didn't notice.
Lewis Moody is just a hot head I admit, and he's a good player aside his 'faux pas', maybe not as good as Joe Worsley, but I admit I am a serious Joe Worsley fan and think it's a travesty he isn't reveared (sp?) more to the England squad.

S. Burger is pretty dirty, every few Bokkes games I notice he gives away penalties for killing ball, hands in the ruck and high tackles. Quite frankly I would have cited him for some of the tackles against Wales on Saturday for being high.

Butch James is really bad for (high tackles) too, I've only really noticed it at club level, with one instance at national to my recollection against Scotland, so it's easy to see why I remember it so vividly :p .

I also agree with anyone who considers Lawrence Dallalio (sp?) or Lewis Moody very dirty players.
Personally I think LD is stuck in the old days when you could punch and stamp as much as you wanted as long as the referee didn't notice.
Lewis Moody is just a hot head I admit, and he's a good player aside his 'faux pas', maybe not as good as Joe Worsley, but I admit I am a serious Joe Worsley fan and think it's a travesty he isn't reveared (sp?) more to the England squad. [/b]

Comparing Worsley and Moody is nearly pointless. Not quite like chalk and cheese, but a bit like asking which is better, stilton or cheddar?

Worseley never impresses me, poor handling, consistently driven back etc.. Moody is a much more explosive player who never lacks effort. Moody for me, even although as you you stormaster they are like chalk and cheese ;)

Latest posts