• Aunt, Uncle or Cousin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not close with any of your family

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
H

Hazey

Hey all,

Just a question that's always interested me, since I am not that close to any of my immediate family, yet many of my friends have extremely close relationships with their nearest and dearest and seem to get on with them extraordinarily well, something I can't understand! :p

Obviously everyone fights occasionally, but if you have someone which you feel particularly close to then please vote in the pole, and if you'd like express your opinion why.

Thanks,

Hazey

True story.

Have a friend that had a homosexual (wasn't always that way...) Father.
His father used to be one of the hang around mens toilets, go home to the wife amd kids for dinner sort of homo. The homo got cancer and was in hospital with not long to live.
My friend Harry (won't mention his name ;) ) went and checked out his father on his death bed.
The father turned around to Harry (again won't mention his name ;) ) and sad "Harry you're my son and because of that I love you, but as a person I've never liked you" AND the died... those where his last words.

Seriosly, true story.

Quite interesting, out of the six people that voted, each one took a different option. I don't know why I am sharing this but somehow I feel compelled to:

Several years ago I think my answer would've been completely different. As a child I was closest to my Granddad and was devastated by his death in my early teens. Since becoming a parent I can't imagine why people ever hate or disrespected their folks (unless you were Harry above) but, saying that I understand the evolutionary reasons behind cutting the ties that bind.

Through raising your own child you recognise the contribution and immense influence parents have on your life even if they were inconspicuous at times, having a significant other in your childhood years are of vital importance to become a caring, respectful successful adult IMO. It ****** me off when people abuse their status as parents because the destruction it leaves behind in the children reverbs like a tidal wave through the generations, not just the child.

I hated my dad when I was younger and carrying that bitterness really dragged me down into depths that I can't begin to describe. After sorting my own head out and eventually becoming a dad myself I recognised that love is love and it's a hell of a lot lighter on the shoulders than hate is. We are on really good terms now and in building a relationship with him I have managed to change a lot of wrong beliefs made in early life, you can never have too many friends. A suggestion I wish to make from personal experience, (and sorry to turn into dr phil) if anyone actually cares to read this far and have this sort of situation is try to resolve any emotional baggage that relates to your parents or significant others, whether you do it in your own mental world or in the actual physical world. Nothing stunts personal growth more than an issue like parents. In doing so personally I believe I have benefited my own child and have no doubt that it will benefit her children.

Philip Larkin - This Be The Verse
They **** you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were f*cked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.

True story.

Have a friend that had a homosexual (wasn't always that way...) Father.
His father used to be one of the hang around mens toilets, go home to the wife amd kids for dinner sort of homo. The homo got cancer and was in hospital with not long to live.
My friend Harry (won't mention his name ;) ) went and checked out his father on his death bed.
The father turned around to Harry (again won't mention his name ;) ) and sad "Harry you're my son and because of that I love you, but as a person I've never liked you" AND the died... those where his last words.

Seriosly, true story.
[/b]

Jesus....what a tw@t. Is that definitely true? Imagine just being absolutely desperate to tell someone that with your last breaths. I mean he must have really wanted to twist the knife before he went. The mind boggles.

I've got great family...and pretty good in-laws too.

Definitely my mother is the closest to me. Just like most children out there in the world, the mother is the one. I have a loving family especially my dad but I have to say...again...my mother stands out in front of him and the rest of them. Mum's gentle, caring, loving and treats each and every one of us in the family good. I'm just comfortable when she's around. :)

My Dog.

My Parent's hate me, and I feel so Emo. [/b]

l_ebed8681ddc443bafd772b98b81dacd6.jpg

Always traditionally been closest to my mum. We share a fair few personality traits, including a very similar sense of humour and taste in television and films, which helps.

Relationship with my dad has never been bad, but has slightly strained at times when I was growing up. Rugby (sport generally in fact) used to seem like the only thing guaranteed to really get us talking for any length of time.

Since turning 18 and coming to Uni though, things are so much better with him. It feels like he's now relised I can actually take care of myself perfectly well and have gained new levels of independence, which he respects.

Be interested to see how my brother goes, how close we are and what interests we'll share when he is a bit older.

I'm an only child so I am very close to all my family. My family is huge as well, but I adore the lot of them. It's the same with friends. Because I'm on my own, my friends are like the brothers I never had.

i've always been closest to my mom, the less said about my dad who left my mom, sister and me several years ago after dragging us halfway around the world away from home the better, my mom and I share alot of common interests and viewpoints and I try to help her out as much as possible since she's on her own now

I can't believe you're making me choose between my mam, dad and sister.
I couldn't vote.

Probly closest to my brother because more similiar in age to him then anyone else in my family

I'm not really close to anyone in my family. I get one well with my dad and broother, but not so well with my mum. I'm probably closest to my girlfriend, but I still wouldn't say I was comfortable with opening up to her or anyone really. Just the way I am I guess. I get on well with my Dad cause we're both keen sports fans, and I get on well with my brother cause we've got a similar sense of humour. Sadly my mum sits on her fat arse all day moaning at me which I don't appreciate one bit. Wish I could say I was close to my family but I aint. I'm away to be emo now.

Latest posts