• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who could defeat the AB in the years to come?

correct me if I'm wrong but our EOY tour this year we play Ireland twice plus Italy & France, no England...

2017 is the lions tour to NZ, I don't know exactly who else we play next year outside the lions tour and Championgship but as far as I know we dont have games against England next year.

We do in 2018

Have the November internationals 2017 fixtures or the AB schedule post RC and Bledisloe 2017 been announced yet? Hence why I queried why you were so certain the next England v AB fixture would not happen in 2017.

http://www.allblacks.com/Pages/3934?layout=Fixtures

Last edited:
The only teams who have a chance of beating the AB's are the ones who can rattle them up front and dominate the collisions. Its always been the case and still is.

The only teams who have a chance of beating the AB's are the ones who can rattle them up front and dominate the collisions. Its always been the case and still is.

+1

For all the obfuscations otherwise, rugby is still a very physical game and if you can tie up the opposition forward pack and starve them of possession it doesn't matter how good they are, they will struggle.

+1

For all the obfuscations otherwise, rugby is still a very physical game and if you can tie up the opposition forward pack and starve them of possession it doesn't matter how good they are, they will struggle.

It's why the Boks, French and English have historically been competitive with them. The Wallabies are the only ones who have been able to compete and win through skill/attack. I still don't see the Argies, Irish and Welsh having the forward depth and dominance or skill and fitness. France are obviously in decline, but if they can rebuild their team and form a nasty pack and a general they have a chance against anybody.

Last edited:
I don't think any team will overtake NZ in the rankings in the next decade (given the youth of the Chiefs talent etc), but plenty could knock them out of a RWC or a one off test. As Eddie Jones points out, its not just playing talent, its coaching talent and the fact these coaches learn across the world and bring that knowledge back to NZ.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/new-zealand-countries/do-nz-run-world-rugby-69892

Focussing on rankings, England are closest to them in the rankings, but the 6N sides all generally have lower rankings than the RC teams, so it makes it harder for England (or any NH team) to close the gap, particularly if they only play NZ once in a blue moon as is the case at the moment.

- England would be my first choice if they can avoid the French trap (or English football trap) of becoming slaves to their clubs and clubs focus on generating their own youth talent rather than buying their way out of trouble.
- South Africa would be my second choice if the expansion of rugby to different demographics of their population turns out to be genuine rather than imposed on them. If residency rules are extended and "project players" becomes a thing of the past then I'd make South Africa more likely than any NH side to challenge NZ.
- Argentina third if they get another SR franchise or two, improve their coaching at club level and the other Americas teams increase their level enough to really compete with an Argentine second XV. They'd need a replacement as good as Hourcade though.
- Ireland fourth as they are heading in the right direction and are slightly ahead of Wales in terms of development I think and are twice the population. Again, they'd need a replacement as good as Schmidt.
- Just to give you all a laugh, but my fifth choice to be the next side to overtake NZ in the rankings could be Japan. But that wouldn't be before RWC 2027! It'd depend on their RWC being a success, more SR franchises, continued investment in the highest quality international coach available, inclusion in the RC and a strong commitment to have the Top League be a feeder league for SR. But I think all those things are achievable and that the JRU are intent on achieving them. Only 12 places and 21 ranking points to go!

All the above could potentially do it, but I can't see them knocking NZ off the top in the next five to ten years unless the format of the 6N and RC changes dramatically so there is potential for an annual NZ vs England match (as Hansen has called for). I think they'll be the worlds top five rugby powers by this time next decade (only three of them are currently in that top 5). I think Australia and Scotland will decline and Wales and France will stall. All completely hypothetical though.

any of the first 5 can beat them in a good day and a bad day for the abs. injuries yellows bad calls etc. oz beat them last year! none can on a regular basis.
outside the tier one ill go for samoa or fiji with lots of luck.

Latest posts