• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who do the English want to beat the most?

Who do the English want to beat the most

• Argentina

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • France

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Ireland

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • Scotland

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • South Africa

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Wales

Votes: 12 30.8%

• Total voters
Blimey, I didn't realise we were that high up pre-tournament,
I thought it was NZ closely followed by SA, then some daylight, then England/Wales pretty much evens

SA were available at a massive price (I want to say something like 10/1) a few months out. I remember thinking that it was a good bet, but not backing it before their Rugby Championship result shortened them up, so ultimately leaving it alone. England's price would have shortened after home and away warm up wins over the 6N champions and a big win over Ireland, but I suspect that England are always going to be unrealistically short thanks to the weight of patriotic money.

There is a difference between rubbing it in a bit when it is relevant and just going on about the score in things where it isn't relevant to the conversation. The Welsh did it for 3/4 years after 2013 and now South Africa are doing the same. It was tedious then, it's tedious again. There is such a thing as being "bad winners".

Okay, we'll try to leave the score out of it. But I can fondly remember how many posters didn't give us a chance prior to the start of the World Cup, as well as after losing to the All Blacks in the first round.

And there were still a bunch of guys saying England would win after their victory against NZ.

I guess because of where we were 18 months out before the tournament, and how we got done in on the EOYT with that awful Farrel tackle and how the Springbok team went at length to express their dismay of how it was handled, it was just sweet, sweet revenge against an old foe. The SA traditional fans will always have a special place of sporting hatred towards England, and it's not going to go away anytime soon.

Okay, we'll try to leave the score out of it. But I can fondly remember how many posters didn't give us a chance prior to the start of the World Cup, as well as after losing to the All Blacks in the first round.

And there were still a bunch of guys saying England would win after their victory against NZ.

I guess because of where we were 18 months out before the tournament, and how we got done in on the EOYT with that awful Farrel tackle and how the Springbok team went at length to express their dismay of how it was handled, it was just sweet, sweet revenge against an old foe. The SA traditional fans will always have a special place of sporting hatred towards England, and it's not going to go away anytime soon.
I'm so glad SA have never done anything dirty against England that we could then use as justification to rub your losses in your face then... Must be good being part of the world renowned cleanest and most sporting team in world rugby.

I think it was fair to say going into the final England were favorites, not for any simple fact but they just comprehensively beaten the AB's whom SA lost to earlier in the tournament. Both sets of fans were particularly bullish about their chances though and probably had every right to be. If England's handling skills had turned up the game probably would of even closer (when I say close I mean before 60ish mins and SA's brace of try's put the game to bed).

Still no ill will towards SA's yet it hasn't got to Wales levels of gloating (it went on for years) after they giving a massive helping by ref who decided that England were at fault at scrum time regardless of what they did......

I think it was fair to say going into the final England were favorites, not for any simple fact but they just comprehensively beaten the AB's whom SA lost to earlier in the tournament. Both sets of fans were particularly bullish about their chances though and probably had every right to be. If England's handling skills had turned up the game probably would of even closer (when I say close I mean before 60ish mins and SA's brace of try's put the game to bed).

Still no ill will towards SA's yet it hasn't got to Wales levels of gloating (it went on for years) after they giving a massive helping by ref who decided that England were at fault at scrum time regardless of what they did......

Exactly. And we will move on from this. But it was the last match the Springboks played, and there is absolutely no live sport to watch in SA at the moment for our local teams. We have nothing else to do, put keep on hammering that final drum.

There's even a 5-part documentary coming out in October about the journey to the final called "Chasing the Sun", which I'm really looking forward to watching.

So for now, just take it on the chin and try and ride it out...

What England need to do is put a load of players in other leagues, even it out a bit, it's more than coincidental that Brits was a late arrival and happened to be very familiar with the Sarries players.

It was evens, actually - and you were favourites going into the tournament (well, NZ were, with SA marginally behind - both far ahead of England).

Weird how the narrative has twisted so much since the tournament.
Not to mention the experts - people on this forum - rather than the public unanimously voted pre tournament that the springboks would win. A thread on here had more than half of people thinking the springboks would win, which is ridiculous favouritism.

Since most other teams (except Italy and NZ, albeit for rather different reasons) want to beat England more than anyone else, who do the English themselves want to beat the most?
I doubt most SHers would pick England for that.

We were the underdogs remember??
I don't think you were. Maybe on the betting odds, but that has also to do with things like betting culture, population, disposable income, etc.

You had easier QF and SF and arrived better rested and fresher.
"Styles make fights" and even before the game it didn't take much to state that RSA's style countered England's.
And anyone who had watched 2019's TRC could see that RSA showed up when it mattered.

Since most other teams (except Italy and NZ, albeit for rather different reasons) want to beat England more than anyone else, who do the English themselves want to beat the most?
...i mean...we obviously want to beat england...but South Africa is our big rivalry...and aussie has the whole "big brother little brother" rivalry going on, but england above the other NH teams definitely

Naturally thought France would be miles out in front you know because of the history between the 2 countries but what do i know.

If I were an Englishman, I'd definitely choose New Zealand or South Africa

Who cares about beating teams who are so far below you.
Only a bully focuses on beating the weak.

4km3r6.jpg

(Keep quiet SA fans)

Latest posts