Who is the Best Player in the World?

Pieter Steph du Teague

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Exeter
There's not a lot of rugby-related discussion at the moment, so who do people think is, all things considered, the best player in the world, as well as who is the best in the world at different aspects of the game (Ball Carrying, kicking, passing, rucking etc.)?

For me, Pocock.

Injury issues aside, no one in the game active at the moment has shown the ability to so consistently decide games over such a long period.

*pause* Wait, is Carter still playing?

For me, Pocock.

Injury issues aside, no one in the game active at the moment has shown the ability to so consistently decide games over such a long period.

After the World Cup I had the same opinion as you, Pocock was simply excellent. But since then, after the sudden buzz there was about the breakdown/turnovers I realised that he is very much a 1 trick pony. He's the best in the world at the break down, but other than that he's pretty average.

I would say that at the moment it's Ben Smith.

Top 5 on form? Playing at both club and international level.

1. Ben Smith
2. Aaron Smith
3. Beauden Barrett
4. Owen Farrell
5. Maro Itoje

There's not a lot of rugby-related discussion at the moment, so who do people think is, all things considered, the best player in the world, as well as who is the best in the world at different aspects of the game (Ball Carrying, kicking, passing, rucking etc.)?

This is actually... Probably the hardest this question has been for a very long time...

I guess the player who I EXPECT to play incredible every game, and literally never lets that expectation down... Is Ben Smith. So, I guess that is my answer..?

After the World Cup I had the same opinion as you, Pocock was simply excellent. But since then, after the sudden buzz there was about the breakdown/turnovers I realised that he is very much a 1 trick pony. He's the best in the world at the break down, but other than that he's pretty average.

I would say that at the moment it's Ben Smith.

If the trick is dominating games, who needs a second?

That said, I think his general defence and carrying are greatly underappreciated, especially the former. A flanker who can make covering tackles on Habana and bounce right back up to make another tackle is no mean thing.

This is a bloody good question! From what I have seen in super rugby and the internationals here and there, I personally think Ben Smith fits the build, he has had a blinder of a year.

I'd actually say Aaron over Ben

Ben can pick the gap but aaron is normally the one throwing some crazy 30m pass past (both in front and behind) several people to get him the ball when no one was expecting him to have it

his brain explosion games are very few and far between and the fact he still performs even though everyone knows what he's about to do or can do make it even more impressive, guys like fekitoa and naholo have definitely been more quiet since people learnt what they could do but not aaron smith

If the trick is dominating games, who needs a second?

That said, I think his general defence and carrying are greatly underappreciated, especially the former. A flanker who can make covering tackles on Habana and bounce right back up to make another tackle is no mean thing.

Teams have learnt to counter his rucking though. In the 1st Test vs England he went virtually unnoticed. His tackling and carrying is good, but I wouldn't say it's enough to qualify him as being the best player in the world. Undoubtedly in the Top 5 though.

Teams have learnt to counter his rucking though. In the 1st Test vs England he went virtually unnoticed. His tackling and carrying is good, but I wouldn't say it's enough to qualify him as being the best player in the world. Undoubtedly in the Top 5 though.

Everything can be nullified though, particularly in a team game like rugby, where it doesn't matter how good you're doing your job if the other guys aren't doing theirs.

And I noticed Pocock during the 1st test vs England. I noticed him a lot. He was scary good.

For me, Pocock.

Pocock is overrated.

The Poms love to ride his shaft though as they do with any loose forward who isn't McCaw.

Ben Smith or Aaron Smith without a doubt even Read or Barrett, prior to that Carter, C.Smith, McCaw take your pick.

Pocock is overrated.

The Poms love to ride his shaft though as they do with any loose forward who isn't McCaw.

Ben Smith or Aaron Smith without a doubt even Read or Barrett, prior to that Carter, C.Smith, McCaw take your pick.

JxiyeJp.png

Wish BO'D was still around, it was always fun hearing whatever pretender in black was "better" than him.

I think rugby has evolved to the point where there can't really be a best player in the world. The best teams, NZ and England (yuck), are just far better as a collective than anyone else. NZ have 6-7 world XV players four of whom, the Smiths, Read and Retallick could all be argued to be their best player, England have 2 World XV players for my money in Hartley and Itoje and it could be argued that neither of those guys are England's most important players. Other inclusions in my World XV like McGrath, Pocock, North etc... don't cut the mustard for the world's best either.

My argument would be that NZ's most influential player is the most valuable in the world, I give that to Aaron Smith. Is he the best footballer? I'd find it hard to award him that with Smith eile, Carter, Giteau and even Sexton all still plying their trade nevermind the best of the fatties as bigger presences as players.

Pretentious rugby hipster out, I hope I've ruined all the fun.

What would a world 15 look like then? Waiting for someone to say NZ...:rolleyes:

Off the top of my head:
1. McGrath
2. Coles
3. Kepu
4. Itoje
5. Retallick
6. Henderson
7. Pocock
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Barrett
11. North
12. Toomua
13. JJ? Kuridrani? Fekitoa? No stand outs
14. Naholo
15. Smith

Have to agree with your statement in regards to centre, at least off the top of my head its a struggle!
Off the top of my head:
1. McGrath
2. Coles
3. Kepu
4. Itoje
5. Retallick
6. Henderson
7. Pocock
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Barrett
11. North
12. Toomua
13. JJ? Kuridrani? Fekitoa? No stand outs
14. Naholo
15. Smith

I was going to mention him... I have liked his level of play at centre in super rugby this season. Put him in at centre!
Maybe Folau? He's been playing all of his SR rugby there, and you've got to fit him in somewhere.

Latest posts