• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like a 'Bowl' finals to be introduced to world cups.

When the world cup starts going to growing markets it's likely the hosts will not be able to get out of their groups.
With a secondary competition running after the group stages it will give the tier 2 teams something to play for and more global exposure.
17th-20th go home after pool stage.
9th -16th round of 8 till final 2.

I'd like to see a south american world cup btw.

i would so much rather go to france or south africa than ireland... since it's been since south africa has had the world cup i'd give it to them

i would so much rather go to france or south africa than ireland... since it's been since south africa has had the world cup i'd give it to them

I know I'm Irish but not fussed where it goes BUT on your logic isn't it a bit flawed. Give it to South Africa as they haven't hosted it in x amount of years but overlook nation who've never hosted it?

Separately Martin Johnson is backing Irelands bid. But he made few interesting points. He touched on Alphas point I think it was of Irish being event junkies. He said what makes a RWC great is atmosphere and crowds at every game and said Ireland are possibly the only nation that will guarantee sell outs in every game wheather it's Ireland v New Zealand or Romania vs Namibia.

Also the lure of teams keeping same base and very minimum logistic worries.

And his last point was key. Ireland has a big touristy image and that mixed with the rugby may grab alot more new people to the games not from Ireland but places like USA where they may visit Ireland and do RWC too.

I know I'm Irish but not fussed where it goes BUT on your logic isn't it a bit flawed. Give it to South Africa as they haven't hosted it in x amount of years but overlook nation who've never hosted it?

Separately Martin Johnson is backing Irelands bid. But he made few interesting points. He touched on Alphas point I think it was of Irish being event junkies. He said what makes a RWC great is atmosphere and crowds at every game and said Ireland are possibly the only nation that will guarantee sell outs in every game wheather it's Ireland v New Zealand or Romania vs Namibia.

Also the lure of teams keeping same base and very minimum logistic worries.

And his last point was key. Ireland has a big touristy image and that mixed with the rugby may grab alot more new people to the games not from Ireland but places like USA where they may visit Ireland and do RWC too.

I was using time between world cups as a tie breaker between France and South Africa since those are the counties I'd like to visit.

Outside of Limerick Ireland is one of the safest countries around.

Enda was on BBC Norn Iron earlier.... apparently the plan is:

A big wall around Limerick... and the Mexicans south of Newry are going to pay for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
But sure the world ends just beyond the M50 for most of you jackeen hoors - so yez will be grand with that. :lol:

Shhhh them lads don't know there's a country past the red cow

On the North issue. Just to say I think after doom and gloom along with uncertainty of Brexit the RWC would really lift spirits. Rugby has been 1 issue that has always risen above politics. I've been up there tons of times with Munster, club games and once to Ireland game. Not once have I ever encountered trouble or even hostility. I've been to Malone RFC and even Ravenhill is in a Nationalist area and they're a credit to Belfast. Only issue I'd say I've wver had with Ulster is probably how they fit a superb stadium literally in to middle of housing estate.

It really should be SA.

Europe is too unstable and dangerous ATM. J'suis Charlie et al. How prime a target would a world cup tournament be! At least in SA its mostly localized opportunity crime or planned attacks against specific minority targets and if tourists refrain from visiting dangerous areas and don't plan on becoming isolated farmers or migrant workers from other African nations "stealing SA jobs" then no problem.

Precedent; if NZ can get a 2nd tournament for the sake of sentiment why not SA. At least here we'd make more money than 2011. Other traditional rugby nation have each hosted 2 even if in part. How typically Euro to say Euro vs rest of the world for alternating. IMO it should be traditional rugby nation vs new market alternating. Japan ticks the latter so the next established traditional rugby nation should be SA IMO since the rest have each hosted or partly hosted 2. Then US/Canada and then Italy/Argentina as established nations. Only after the Americas should Europe again see the RWC IMO. I can't see the SANZAAR nations get a 3rd TBH so in essence 2013 is SA's last chance.

J'suis ********!

Ireland for sure! I'd LOVE it in Ireland! I'd take the month off work and try and get to as many grounds and games as possible. I best start saving...

Also, for people bringing Terrorism into this debate, and the NH/Europe not being safe?! ARE YOU MAD? Ignoring the hysteria in the UK media, the Daily Mail, and a world of FOX news shouting BE SCARED I've never felt safer to be alive in the UK? Our troubles with certain terrorist groups in our recent history, and other European terrorist groups posed way more of a threat to the NH than any at the moment. And didn't France host a European Championships in 2016 pretty safely? And England a RWC2015? Is our world more troubled now?

Take it to Ireland, you won't be carjacked, you'll get stopped for a lift to a pub and bought a pint for your troubles. The atmosphere would be incredible!

Hmm let's see what issues I have with each country...

Ireland: As people have said, too much focus on Dublin. Would the rest of the country participate to the same level? Also 2015 was held in Europe and I fully support spreading it around to grow the game.

France: Held it more recently compared with the other 3 countries and again it would head back to Europe.

South Africa: Current policies have caused no end of problems for rugby in South Africa. Infrastructure and safety would be an issue too for me personally.

Overall if Ireland can present a unified bid, that isn't focused on Dublin, then I'd say Ireland.

Hmm let's see what issues I have with each country...

Ireland: As people have said, too much focus on Dublin. Would the rest of the country participate to the same level? Also 2015 was held in Europe and I fully support spreading it around to grow the game.

France: Held it more recently compared with the other 3 countries and again it would head back to Europe.

South Africa: Current policies have caused no end of problems for rugby in South Africa. Infrastructure and safety would be an issue too for me personally.

Overall if Ireland can present a unified bid, that isn't focused on Dublin, then I'd say Ireland.

I'd say Dublin would host half the matches and all the knockout ones, which is what London and Cardiff had between them in the last one give or take.

How isn't it even a question? They hosted it 3 World cups ago.

Genuinely don't understand why they're even in contention?! 2007 was 5 mins ago.

I'd probably have to say Ireland, 1) because they've never hosted it, 2) from a selfish POV, the timezone helps.

Would much rather Italy had remained in contention - could have acted as a use it or lose type of event for Italy, as far as WR's efforts are concerned.

I'd say Dublin would host half the matches and all the knockout ones, which is what London and Cardiff had between them in the last one give or take.

This for me is an issue, unlike the Olympics, the world cup is hosted nationally. Now I get there are major cities, but too much emphasis on one or two is wrong.

This for me is an issue, unlike the Olympics, the world cup is hosted nationally. Now I get there are major cities, but too much emphasis on one or two is wrong.

From what I understand it is a stickler that may cost IRFU. They want to play 1 SF in Croker and 1 in Aviva. Issue they're being told is it should be more spread. Not in terms of Dublin but fact RDS Aviva and Croker are all relatively close. London isn't a good comparison due to vast difference in size. The fact the womens RWC is between just 2 stadiums means it won't be used as a marker in that area. Every women's RWC is same. It will be interesting to see how winning bid is constructed.

Well this is on wikipedia.

Croke Park GAA Dublin 82,300 Opening Match, Pool Games, Quarter Final & Final
Aviva Stadium IRFU/FAI Dublin 51,700 Pool Games, Quarter Final, Semi Final
Páirc Uí Chaoimh Cork GAA Cork 45,770 Pool Games, Quarter Final, Semi Final
Fitzgerald Stadium Kerry GAA Killarney 43,180 Pool Games, Quarter Final
Casement Park Antrim GAA Belfast 34,186 Pool Games Only
Pearse Stadium Galway GAA Galway 26,197 Pool Games Only
MacHale Park Mayo GAA Castlebar 38,000 Pool Games Only
Thomond Park IRFU Limerick 26,987 Pool Games Only
Nowlan Park Kilkenny GAA Kilkenny 27,800 Pool Games Only
RDS Arena Royal Dublin Society Dublin 18,677 Pool Games Only
Kingspan Stadium IRFU Belfast 18,168 Pool Games Only
Celtic Park Derry GAA Derry 22,000 Pool Games Only

Not sure how accurate this is, but it has Cork for one semi final. Wondering if maybe they could have the semi in Cork and one quarter moved to another city. That would spred it out far more.

Well this is on wikipedia.

Croke Park GAA Dublin 82,300 Opening Match, Pool Games, Quarter Final & Final
Aviva Stadium IRFU/FAI Dublin 51,700 Pool Games, Quarter Final, Semi Final
Páirc Uí Chaoimh Cork GAA Cork 45,770 Pool Games, Quarter Final, Semi Final
Fitzgerald Stadium Kerry GAA Killarney 43,180 Pool Games, Quarter Final
Casement Park Antrim GAA Belfast 34,186 Pool Games Only
Pearse Stadium Galway GAA Galway 26,197 Pool Games Only
MacHale Park Mayo GAA Castlebar 38,000 Pool Games Only
Thomond Park IRFU Limerick 26,987 Pool Games Only
Nowlan Park Kilkenny GAA Kilkenny 27,800 Pool Games Only
RDS Arena Royal Dublin Society Dublin 18,677 Pool Games Only
Kingspan Stadium IRFU Belfast 18,168 Pool Games Only
Celtic Park Derry GAA Derry 22,000 Pool Games Only

Not sure how accurate this is, but it has Cork for one semi final. Wondering if maybe they could have the semi in Cork and one quarter moved to another city. That would spred it out far more.

Don't believe all you read on Wikipedia. I may be wrong but I think 1or 2 stadiums on that may be cut already. But if it was that it'd be great.

Latest posts