• Ireland

Votes: 29 63.0%
  • France

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This for me is an issue, unlike the Olympics, the world cup is hosted nationally. Now I get there are major cities, but too much emphasis on one or two is wrong.

Nowhere in England had a knockout game other than London, its better having it a bit centered around Dublin rather than going to Wales in my opinion.

Well according to local Sunday newspaper, the Rapport (Afrikaans newspaper), it seems like Newlands and Kings Park will be snubbed for the 2023 tournament as they don't comply to the safety standards prescribed by World Rugby. Which says 2 things to me:

1. That all the stadiums that will be on the list for venues, are currently compliant to safety regulations.
2. That SA Rugby is very serious in it's bid to host the 2023 tournament.

What the paper also says, is that SARU needs the government's official backing by 1 June 2017 in order to continue with it's bid. A lot can still happen before then...

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/rwc-snub-for-newlands-and-kings-park-20170417

Excellent news - makes the bidding a genuine contest rather than a "give it to Ireland" contest

Excellent news - makes the bidding a genuine contest rather than a "give it to Ireland" contest

Indeed!

Add to that, The SA "A" side will this year play 2 matches against the French Barbarians during the France tour. At 2 venues that isn't normally on the Rugby Schedule.

Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban will host it's first ever Rugby Match on Friday June 16.
Orlando Stadium in Soweto will host the 2nd match between the 2 sides on Friday June 23. This was also the same stadium that hosted the Super Rugby Semi-final and Final in 2010.

It seems to me that there is more progression going on with regard to us actually hosting the 2023 RWC. And it seems like yesterday's meeting between the new sports minister and SARU, is a step in the right direction in getting the Government's backing before the 1 June deadline.

A decent article weighing up the RWC options, including a curious quote (admittedly a translation) from the French that does indeed sound like a threat. Apparently final presentations are imminent.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/last-three-view-for-2023-rugby-world-cup-1-4568029

I think the tournament would be great in any of the three bidding nations, so I've no strong feelings. I'd have preferred Ireland if they had enlisted SRU & WRU stadia for the pool stages.

Trying to be impartial, France appear to be trying to buy the bid and their threat to raid SA, Australia and NZ of talent should they not win the bid leaves a very sour taste. SA's government is a mess and is their bid any better than the last 3 times they failed? Ireland have the worst stadiums and worst climate of the 3 bidding nations.

The votes of Scotland and Wales will decide who hosts the tournament. Should they vote for France, it'll put more money in France's coffers which is exactly what the Celtic Nations don't need as they look to strengthen the Pro14. However I'm sure Ireland screwing Wales out of their 1999 World Cup horse trading deal won't go down well in the WRU.

Trying to be partial, France are showing their famous charm in threatening and bribing their way to what they want, SA is racist and we're just here for a good time and all those rich yanks love us. #Ireland2023

France has been granted the Olympics, so two major sporting events in successive years would in my opinion, be one hell of a reason to say "non" to France.

Ireland's big plus for me is that all the grounds are within reasonable driving distance from each other, although I'm not at all familiar with public transport structure (trains and buses).
If they do get the World Cup, then the breweries had better begin organising overtime to cope with the demand!

France has been granted the Olympics, so two major sporting events in successive years would in my opinion, be one hell of a reason to say "non" to France.

Ireland's big plus for me is that all the grounds are within reasonable driving distance from each other, although I'm not at all familiar with public transport structure (trains and buses).
If they do get the World Cup, then the breweries had better begin organising overtime to cope with the demand!
You say that as if you think Irish Breweries don't operate on overtime all the time

Trains and buses shouldn't be a problem.

If taking the car from Dublin, Cork is only 3 hours away, Limerick, Galway & Belfast are only 2 hours away. Very easy to get around.

I'd assume any European travellers would only be flying in and out for a day or two at a time and there are international airports in Cork, Shannon (near Limerick), Dublin, Derry, Knock (near Castlebar), Farranfore (near Killarney) and Belfast. No stadium will be more than an hour or so from an airport.

Cardiff also has an international airport for when the Welsh get their hands on pool games in a South African, French or Irish tournament.

Reading that WR aren't going to make the money they hope from Japan, so that it may mean making it back in 2023, which could indicate France being favourites.

Because they totally said that to the hosts of the 2020 Olympics...

Because they totally said that to the hosts of the 2020 Olympics...
Japan won the hosting rights to the 2019 World Cup more than 4 years before winning the hosting rights to the Olympics. As much as I'd love to say the RWC is a bigger event, it patently isn't so I can't imagine it was a concern to the IOC.

It has been intimated that World Rugby aren't entirely happy with Tokyo 2020 overshadowing Japan 2019. Now knowing that the 2024 Olympic venue has been decided before the 2023 World Cup, World Rugby can influence the decision to keep the tournament away from France if they feel the Paris Olympics will distract from the RWC.

I want the best bid to win regardless of where it's from. I hope the best bid comes from Ireland.

Latest posts