• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

who simply doesnt deserve there place in the lions squad, or who should be replaced if possible due

Shane Williams, based on recent performance/lions performance, shouldn't be there imo
Keith Earls - was surprised to see him called up, not as good as any of the other wingers and he hasn't played very well
Worseley - can tackle but not much else
Shaw - good player in his day but past it imo

I hate negative threads like these.

Earls is a centre first/fullback - and was selected as cover for BOD and Shanklin and Byrne and Kearney. A role which he is more than capable of fulfilling, now however because of Shanklins injury he is second in Line for the 13 jersey, and had a poor first 20 minutes of the first game of the tour, after that he played pretty well for the rest of the game, and I thought himself and Fitzgerald did well enough in their replacement back row duties against the Cheetahs since Worsley was absent and Powell was acting the spaz.

Simon Shaw - too old, penalty machine.
Harry Ellis - hasn't done enough for me to be pleased.

2 places Scottish players could have had but nooooooooooooo.

:p

Tbh, maybe not Scottish players in those positions, but there has been a distinct lack this year and I'm sad to see it.

I think Thom Evans should be called up to replace Halfpenny, knowing how things usually go it'll probably be Julian White or Ian Balshaw just to try and coax me into one of my fabled murderous rampages.

Shane Williams is still playing well, he's just not playing well for Shane Williams.

Agree with that last line Smiffy.

Hmm...

I won't participate in this. All the players got in on some sort of merit. We can't take that away from them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 10 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 10 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shane Williams is still playing well, he's just not playing well for Shane Williams.[/b]
Wot?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah. I know. He's doing what everyone hates Balshaw for. Catches to ball, runs around like an overly excited idiot trying to find a gap that isn't there instead of passing it and the one time he does pass it he decides it should be to a South African.

So no he's not playing well by anyone's standards. He's just making a mess.

220px-Bob_Dole,_PCCWW_photo_portrait.JPG

Bob Dole is not playing well for Bob Dole! Bob Dole needs to sharpen up and be the REAL Bob Dole!

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1ApPllm1ZfA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/1ApPllm1ZfA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

EDIT: Gentlemen, I think the reason for Shtove's obvious confusion is that fact that the phrase "Shane Williams is still playing well, he's just not playing well for Shane Williams" doesn't actually make any sense.

For a start, how can one play well but not play well at the same time?

It does make sense.

It was meant to illustrate that Shane Williams is playing well (enough) compared to the standard we have set for other players, but because Shane Williams is known for doing more amazing things than other players we are quicker to chastise (criticize) him when he doesn't operate to his full potential.

The sentence, "Shane Williams is still playing well, he's just not playing well for Shane Williams" makes perfect sense.

Obviously I have to spell everything out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jun 10 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 10 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 10 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shane Williams is still playing well, he's just not playing well for Shane Williams.[/b]
Wot?
[/b][/quote]

Yeah. I know. He's doing what everyone hates Balshaw for. Catches to ball, runs around like an overly excited idiot trying to find a gap that isn't there instead of passing it and the one time he does pass it he decides it should be to a South African.

[/b][/quote]

As opposed to what?

Running the ball into contact and turning it over, he's just a wee chap mind and the Lions haven't exactly been the best when it comes to support at the breakdown yet.

Hoofing the ball into the sky and maybe turning it over if you are lucky and then doddling through open play until somebody doesn't roll away from a ruck quick enough?

Fair enough he wasn't amazing but you can't expect him to be amazing week after week, everyone's going to have an off day. Also, nobody was playing well in the Royal XV game, not consistently anyway.

But he's been mediocre week in week out and that's the problem and no other wing has made a mess like him yet. And how about he does what Bowe does and make an opertunity for other players or do what Monye did and wait for an opertunity and take it rather than trying to force something.

I typed the below before I read the above message. Whats above is an edit.

I get it. He's been playing poorly for a while so like any other player who plays poorly he trys to hard and over compensates except he's not doing it in Shane Williams proportions he's doing it like most people do and cocking up by running down blind allys when there was a man outside him or just tunning into walls of oppostion he shouldn't even be there because he's now out of position and oh, look at him now, he's passing to the other team. Good pass though.

I'd rather have Monye or Fitzgerald on the wing because though Fitzgerald hasn't played on the wing on tour yet at least he hasn't hasn't played like Shane on the wing,

I was fully in favour of bringing Willaims on tour in the hope he'd play well but he hasn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 10 2009, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Jun 10 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 10 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wot?
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

As opposed to what?

Running the ball into contact and turning it over, he's just a wee chap mind and the Lions haven't exactly been the best when it comes to support at the breakdown yet.

Hoofing the ball into the sky and maybe turning it over if you are lucky and then doddling through open play until somebody doesn't roll away from a ruck quick enough?

Fair enough he wasn't amazing but you can't expect him to be amazing week after week, everyone's going to have an off day. Also, nobody was playing well in the Royal XV game, not consistently anyway.
[/b][/quote]
On his wing, Monye is the choice. For general wing play, refer to Tommy Bowe.

I won't deny that Ugo and Bowe are miles ahead for a test place ON RECENT FORM, but I think as the Lions develop into more of a team Shane WIlliams will play better, I've always thought that about him.

this was always going to be a Williams is not god thread.

He's playing shite by his standards, poorly by most others. Either way, doesnt deserve a test slot YET.

Plenty of time to go.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 10 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I won't deny that Ugo and Bowe are miles ahead for a test place ON RECENT FORM, but I think as the Lions develop into more of a team Shane WIlliams will play better, I've always thought that about him.[/b]
Looks like Geech is channeling you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 10 2009, 12:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The sentence, "Shane Williams is still playing well, he's just not playing well for Shane Williams" makes perfect sense.[/b]

Does not make perfect sense but I see where you're coming from now. Better Wording Prevents Poor Feedback or BWPPF for short.

Bob Dole thinks Ugo Monye is indeed great on his wing but Bob Dole also thinks that Bob Dole's choice winger Tommy Bowe would rival WWE Superstar Edge as the ultimate opportunist and should make a start too..

..BOB DOLE!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 10 2009, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Jun 10 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I won't deny that Ugo and Bowe are miles ahead for a test place ON RECENT FORM, but I think as the Lions develop into more of a team Shane WIlliams will play better, I've always thought that about him.[/b]
Looks like Geech is channeling you.
[/b][/quote]

great minds...

BOB DOLE!

MOD Prestwick says:

bobdole_org.jpg

Hm, Joe Worsley.
Called up against Wales to do a job on Roberts. Succeeded due to inept Welsh tactics. Suddenly he's teh shizz and worthy of a Lions place.

Well, we all saw how that went on Saturday.

Latest posts