• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who will be All Blacks captain next year?

Umaga's Witness

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
self explanatory ***le. I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm still thinking...

Whitelock has signed for four more years but be 35-36 in four years time.

Coles will be old too.

Cane will be kinda old and may struggle to make the starting line up anyway.

Savea has captaincy ability I reckon and is plenty young but may lose some explosiveness As he ages meaning he could lose his place if he ever had it, and hasn't got captaincy experience,

Tj is young enough but not first choice.

Brodie is still young enough , his place in the team is secure, so I guess is most likely. He's not perfect though as he does get hot headed.

Last edited:
I have no idea...I'd like it to be aspirational...someone for the future like when Richie got the the gig, Read was an veteran when he stepped up...someone like that might not be out there though

I have no idea...I'd like it to be aspirational...someone for the future like when Richie got the the gig, Read was an veteran when he stepped up...someone like that might not be out there though
Yeah, it's pretty hard to think of anyone young that you'd be happy to promise a starting position to for a long period of time.

You could try someone like Luke Jacobson? Little Richie mo? Dalton Papalii ?

Big Karl? There's a lot of mana in his moustache alone

Last edited:
Sam Whitelock. Doesn't mean he'll still be captain come 2023.

Don't you think they'll want to find their 2023 captain next year though? I guess it wouldn't hurt to wait one more year.

I think continuity will be key for the new coach and team post-2019. 2023 RWC would still be 3 years away if Sam is made captain for 2020; a lot can change closer to 2023. And with leadership groups and co-captains, change to captaincies can be made quite easily.

I think continuity will be key for the new coach and team post-2019. 2023 RWC would still be 3 years away if Sam is made captain for 2020; a lot can change closer to 2023. And with leadership groups and co-captains, change to captaincies can be made quite easily.
Fair call.

Latest posts